It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Question Cone beam scan vs. mri's - what 's the difference?

Can anyone let me know what kind of x-ray I should get? I've only had a panoramic done, and I want something that looks at my joints. I heard a cone beam scan is like a ct scan , but it omits much of the radiation like a traditional ct scan will give off. Please let me know what to start with. J.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
(male)

maxwell29 HB User
Re: Cone beam scan vs. mri's - what 's the difference?

sorry... posted message multiple times for some reason. ugh.

Last edited by maxwell29; 06-03-2009 at 08:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
(male)

maxwell29 HB User

Is there anything from the other X-rays/CT's that makes you suspect you have bone loss?

X-rays of TMJ include panoramic, tomogram (series of images from different angles of TMJ's, older fan beam CT 2 dimensional, and newer cone beam CT ( 3 dimensional)

Some X-Rays are fancier than other but all pretty much give the same results, some just in more detail than others. For example, I have had all the above tests and all showed "normal" for my case.

However, if you do have bone loss in your condyles, these tests will pick up on it.

Notably, many people with bad TMJ problems come up as "normal" on any type of X-ray because they do not easily show changes in soft tissues. Especially those with muscular problems. Many with muscular problems have no bone loss but the disc is out of place, meaning that the muscles are locked in an unhappy position.

I would advise you to get an MRI which shows soft tissues and possible displacement around the disc. Get you TMJ dentist to give you a place to go. It is very important the facility be familiar w/ TMJ MRI's and have these things:
1) surface coils that go over the ears
2) highest resolution mri possible (3 tesla)
3) competent technicians that can open your mouth very wide for the open view

Again my experiences... I had to have the MRI done twice because one stupid dentist didn't tell me the correct facilities to go to.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Hey again--wow you're all over the place today..The panoramic (the only x-ray i've done) didn't show anything that jumped out at my dentist. I also had my daughter's ortho. look @ it and he didn't say I had bone loss. I'm just worried that I do because of all the glass sounds going on in the joints. I don't ever want to have to have surgery. The bad thing about tmj x-rays, or any tmj treatment for me is that it's totally out of pocket. .......many can relate, I'm sure.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
(male)

maxwell29 HB User

I had a MASSIVE pop in my jaw along with all kinds of other grating, rubbing an tearing sounds and all X-Rays came up as "normal". I would go with the MRI if I were you, as long as a few TMJ experts have said your current X-Ray look normal. Wait until you go to Dr. Goldman and ask what he recommends for further tests....

Closed Thread