It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

thatbrian HB User
Can a dentists prescribe an MRI?

I would really like to have some imaging of my jaw, but I don't have a cooperative MD to prescribe it. Can a dentist prescribe an MRI, and does it even matter if I have one done? Will the treatment be the same no matter if my disc(s) as displaced or not?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Can a dentists prescribe an MRI?

Yes a dentist can write a script for an MRI as long as he know what to request such as the number of pictures or images to take, with the jaws in an open and closed positions, with contrast or without, etc. Preferably its best that the dr requesting them also know how to read them as well and not just rely on the radiologists written report. The treatment for displacement can be a little diff as respositoining splints can be tried to move the lower jaw down and forward which can help the discs be recaptured. With muscular tmj where the discs are not displaced a other types of splints might be tried to just increase vertical dimension and better balance the bite. You could try seeing an OS and having them request it - but don't get talked into surgery until other conservative treatments are tried first - as I am sure you are aware.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
(male)

loudawg HB User
Re: Can a dentists prescribe an MRI?

Yes. About a month ago my dentist wrote a prescription for a TMJ MRI. To my surprise my insurance thankfully covered most of it.
-Loudawg

Closed Thread