It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
(male)

thatbrian HB User
Is it me?

I have seen my dentist, an oral surgeon, and an orthodontist so far, and all of them seem confounded when I explain my symptoms, especially the neurological ones.

When I read posts here and at other sites, it seems that I have classic TMD. Am I crazy, or are they unqualified to be in the dental field?

My symptoms began right after a root canal, and they include:

* Pain behind/around the eye
* Blurred vision (slightly)
* Stiff neck and shoulders
* Migraine headaches
* Tension headaches
* Dizziness
* Nausea
* Tinnitus
* Fullness in ears
* Light sensitivity
* Numbness/tingling on scalp (top/front of head)
* Pain in ears, in front and behind ears
* Pain in left side of tongue
* Pain/spasm in throat
* Difficulty swallowing (saliva)
* Numbness/tingling on face at left jaw
* Muscle spasm in eyelids
* Painful jaw - left side
Also, my bite has changed.

Last edited by thatbrian; 06-12-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: to add that my bite has changed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Is it me?

Welcome to the tmj nightmare. NO - its not you but others will make you feel like it is. My tmj dentist was just telling me the other day he is working on collaborating with a chiro and neurologist to do a study on tmj and at the same time try and educate neurolgists and other medical drs on tmj - I told him lots of luck. There is such a wide span or void between tmj (its causes and treatment) and the regular dentistry and medical communitiesl.

There are some neuromuscular studies that suggest root canals can scar or damage the neuropathways to the brain which in turn can cause other nerve and muscular problems.

Did you also have the tooth crowned after the root canal was completed? A crown or filling left too high or too low can cause this as well as they can change the temporal plane and force muscles to dysfunction - this in turn can affect the cranial sutures of the head and the atlas and axis of the c-spine and throw the rest of the body's alignment out of whack - thus all the weird or unusual symptoms.

So I gather the ortho you went to see had no suggestions or recommendations?

Once you find the right dr who is familiar with all of this you will feel more villified - but it still doesn't make getting it corrected any easier though - it can be a long trial and error process - IMO.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
(male)

thatbrian HB User

I did not have a crown done yet, because the root canal is not finished. I am dreading having that done next week!

Although I would love to have a doc understand my problem, you are right in saying that it won't fix it. It would be nice to have someone not think that I'm nuts though.

Brian

Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbrian View Post
I did not have a crown done yet, because the root canal is not finished. I am dreading having that done next week!

Although I would love to have a doc understand my problem, you are right in saying that it won't fix it. It would be nice to have someone not think that I'm nuts though.

Brian
Be careful with your root canal..Don't let them open you extremely wide..and take a lot of breaks in between the procedure..If they can't handle that, find a new dentist..PS--All your symptoms are classic tmj symptoms, and if your doctors are confused by that,,please get to one who isn't and knows what they are doing..Good Luck with everything. Finding a good doc. is maddening sometimes. to say the least.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
(female)

tiff101 HB User

You're not crazy, I have most of those symptoms you listed. Mine began after a wisdom tooth extraction. Most doctors and dentists you meet aren't going to have a clue as to the widespread effects tmj can have. There are some dentists out there that I think are starting to connect the dots and understand the effects that jaw disorders can have on the entire body/nervous system, but they are few and far between and it may take some searching to find one. Ironically, the most knowledgeable doctor I met was the plastic surgeon who did botox injections in my jaw. He seemed very well-versed in the muscular connections of the body and wasn't at all surprised by the symptoms I was having. I have taken basic anatomy and physiology courses at college and even I can see how the widespread effects of tmj make sense, from a logical standpoint, when looking at the body and it's musculoskeletal system as a whole. The fact that many highly trained physicians aren't able to make the connection is confusing, and, as a patient, rather scary to me.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User

Sounds like classic symptoms of TMJD to me.....or of problems with the C-Spine. Muscular compression in the C-Spine can cause the same symptoms.

Each nerve root in the neck has a neck joint or "facet" associated with it.

The C1-C2 joint is actually more of a rotation joint than a true facet. When the neck joint gets irritated, it refers pain to the head.

The C2 nerve is associated with uppermost part of the neck, associated with TMJ and jaw pain.

The C3 nerve is associated with the C2-3 disc in the neck. Patients commonly complain of headaches and dizziness when this nerve is pinched or irritated. Problems with this area are frequently associated withTMJ and jaw pain. When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers pain to the upper neck, head, and base of the shoulder blade.

The C4 nerve is associated with the C3-C4 disc. Tingling in the back of the neck is a common symptom.
When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers pain to the top of the neck, middle of the neck, and into the middle part of the upper back, just below the shoulder blade.

The C4-C5 level is in the middle part of the neck. Patients usually complain of shoulder weakness and having difficulty raising the arm over the head. When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers pain to the lower neck and top of the shoulder.

Patients with a pinched C6 nerve in their neck often complain of weakness when holding things or when opening jars with a turning motion. This nerve is associated with the C5-C6 disc in the neck. This is the most commonly injured level in a rear end car accident. When the joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it can refer aching, burning, or stabbing pain to the base of the neck (where neck and upper back meet) and or the top of the shoulder.

The C6-C7 level is in the lower part of the neck. When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers pain to the upper back.

The C8-T1 level is at the very bottom of the neck almost where the upper back starts. When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers pain to the upper back.

Closed Thread