It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
(female)

slimjr66 HB User
cookies66

Hi! i was just dianosed with tmj after 5 months of ear,tooth,jaw,neck, headache pain, and now i've had nausea for 2 weeks. Is this from tmj? I don't see the why to that question. I know there ia a connection with the ear, but my stomach feels naushes and I feel kind of dizzy too. please respond if you knoe the answer to this. thanks

Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: cookies66

I had morning nausea for several months before my tmj went into high gear - I thought it had something do with my sleeping position or the slight headache I was waking up with. Once the tmj pain started, the nausea became chronic 24/7 and this lasted for 3 yrs - at that point I thought the nausea was due to the severity of the non-stop pain I had similar to what often accompanies a migraine. I was told it could be due to the neck though - the lower jaw may be pushed backwards and compressing the c-spine and nerves back there which induce the nausea and affect equilibirum.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
(female)

VA_girl HB User

So Thelma-Louise, what do you think it is? I couldn't follow you if you think the jaw is causing the neck problem or if the neck is causing the jaw problem?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
(female)

slimjr66 HB User

Thanks for the response. I have figured it out about some of my stomach pain and nausea; I have been taking too many ibuprofin and tramadol the last 5 months for one thing; took augmentin a month ago thinking it was an infection, and that really tore up my stomache and made me very ill. so it's partly that; and some of the nausea I can tell is coming from my ear area. I have an appt. with an oral surgeon for tmj; do you recommend anyone else; I also have an appt. for a nero-chiropractor who is supposed to do wonders with many issues, so I am looking up! Appreciate any info.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I have never been able to figure out if the jaw caused my neck problems or vice versa - the sequence of events and symptoms as they occured were so interconnected and related that I will probably never know for sure - but for the most part the nausea eased up after a few months of seeing my current cranial chiro - but my overall head and neck pain also lessened around the same time - so I am leaning towards the theory that it was mostly my neck causing the nausea.

I have taken augmentin - it is a strong drug as others can be so do be careful - plus I have noticed I am very sensitive to certain drugs as they too invoke nausea (like codine) so it could be you have some sensitivity issues.

Unless you have been to numerous types of tmj dentists I would be cautious with the OS as they tend to be quick to do surgery. You may want to ask him as well as the chiro you will be seeing for referrrals to other tmj dentists however - they tend to know who is good and who is not - although not always as the "buddy" system sometimes come into play in which drs refer patients to each other just so they each get some "business". So you still need to do your homework and look into who you are being referred to.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 06-14-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
(female)

slimjr66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
I have never been able to figure out if the jaw caused my neck problems or vice versa - the sequence of events and symptoms as they occured were so interconnected and related that I will probably never know for sure - but for the most part the nausea eased up after a few months of seeing my current cranial chiro - but my overall head and neck pain also lessened around the same time - so I am leaning towards the theory that it was mostly my neck causing the nausea.

I have taken augmentin - it is a strong drug as others can be so do be careful - plus I have noticed I am very sensitive to certain drugs as they too invoke nausea (like codine) so it could be you have some sensitivity issues.

Unless you have been to numerous types of tmj dentists I would be cautious with the OS as they tend to be quick to do surgery. You may want to ask him as well as the chiro you will be seeing for referrrals to other tmj dentists however - they tend to know who is good and who is not - although not always as the "buddy" system sometimes come into play in which drs refer patients to each other just so they each get some "business". So you still need to do your homework and look into who you are being referred to.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
(female)

slimjr66 HB User

Thanks again for your input. I definitely don't plan on any surgery. The reason I was referred to an oral surgeon, is that there was some question as to whether this all is coming from an embedded wisdom tooth, although xrays don't show anything new there. I will keep that appt. but this week am going to a neuro-chiropractor, probably similar to one that you go to. she has helped a sister in law a lot who has trygeminal nerve disorder which makes this problem seem like a piece of cake, so I am optimistic. also the past 3 days, everything has completely settled down, but the nausea, thank the Lord! People are praying for me, and I feel this is due to the power of prayer! I think the nausea is probably from too much ibuprofin and tramadol the past 5 months; my stomach feels like a mess; trust that will get better too. thanks so much for your input. I don't know of anyone personally that has tmj so it's good to talk to someone who I can relate to!

Closed Thread

Tags
nausea and tmj