It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Unhappy Has anyone ever had to have a nightguard adjusted laying flat??

Hi--weird question, i know..I'm having a problem with dentists adjusting my night guard in the chair, obviously it's not as flat as a laying position, and my current doctor used to adjust me on a flat table (massage therapy table) . The adjustments were good because your in the sleeping position, but when they are done in the chair, I almost have to sleep in a recliner because of the adjustment position. I'm super sensitive to any highs and lows on a splint because my tmj is so inflamed from not having a good night splint for 4 mo. now. UGGGGG> anyone ever had to do this type of adjusting too?Thanks--J.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Has anyone ever had to have a nightguard adjusted laying flat??

I think a few of us have noticed this as well however with the opposite issue - adjustments done while lying down wreck havoc on us when we stand. Not sure how true this is but one dr I consulted (while still being treated by another dr) told me this has to do with the persons natural bite - posterior, central, or anterior and all variables in between. He told me those with a more natural posterior bite needed adjustments done sitting or standing. There must be something to it b/c I then asked my current tmj dentist at the time to start doing his adjustment with me standing and as a result we actually got the right side to feel almost natural and pain and symptoms free - not sure why this didn't help with the left side at the time though. Unfortunately this was all undone by the next dentist I went to. This is why to a certain degree we need to find not only qualified dentists but ones that are open to our suggestions and input and willing to try different things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
I think a few of us have noticed this as well however with the opposite issue - adjustments done while lying down wreck havoc on us when we stand. Not sure how true this is but one dr I consulted (while still being treated by another dr) told me this has to do with the persons natural bite - posterior, central, or anterior and all variables in between. He told me those with a more natural posterior bite needed adjustments done sitting or standing. There must be something to it b/c I then asked my current tmj dentist at the time to start doing his adjustment with me standing and as a result we actually got the right side to feel almost natural and pain and symptoms free - not sure why this didn't help with the left side at the time though. Unfortunately this was all undone by the next dentist I went to. This is why to a certain degree we need to find not only qualified dentists but ones that are open to our suggestions and input and willing to try different things.
T.L. If you were here I'd give you a big hug. You are the only person who agrees with me about this topic. Dentists should be more open, and get rid of their greed, God complexes, and impatient qualities. There is no "norm" for tmj, I believe. I'm a perfect example of something out of the ordinary working for me-( laying down for adjustments on nightguards)...Duh! If it's working , stick with it. If I were a doctor and a patient was in acute distress with pain and spasms, I would do anything to help. Sadly enough, I think they are just worried about the almighty $$.:

Old 06-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Thanks - I'll take the hug - one can never get too many of those and god knows we can all use them. Ditto to your post too.

I wish I could take all the little tidbits of good and helpful info I have picked up from ALL the drs I have been to over the years and bundle it up all into one GOOD dentist. Its a tall order we ask for - a dentist who is well trained and experienced and has the patience of a saint, listens to us, welcomes suggestions or input and can decipher or translate our symptoms and relate them to a neuromuscular or dental cause, understands the pain and agony we live with 24/7 and as a result feels it adds insult to injury for him to charge his patients 3-4 times more than than what general dentists charge.

Closed Thread