It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

jmuamy HB User
charges with neuro dentist reasonable?

Hi all,

Just wanted to get your feedback on some pricing from a neuro dentist. I've had tmj for 16 years. Been through it all from tooth filing...i know it was a mistake...botox, trigger points, chiro, pt, massage, muscle relaxants, moist heat, biofeedback, splints, tens...blah blah blah. Nothing helps.

I have found a neuro dentist in the area. She uses a K7 in conjunction with a tens to evaluate the activity/damage/strain of the various muscle groups. This combined with a CT scan of the TMJ taken while sitting up gives her a good picture of what is out of line and how to create the best splint possible. It is a hard plastic splint which covers the bottom teeth and must be worn all the time. Once the splint has been worn long enough that the symptoms subside, braces are used to realign teeth for a lasting proper bite.

So this is not what I want to hear or do, but it makes sense. I am going for it. Here is the thing. Like most docs/dentists who treat TMJ, she does not accept insurance. She works with this company that helps you finance the medical bills into affordable monthly payments at no interest. Not too bad. The cost is $3600 for a CT scan, two sessions with tens and k7, the splint and three fittings/adjustments to the splint. I've had single treatments that cost $2,000, so I think this is reasonable. How about you? Just curious. Also about your thoughts on the treatment approach. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: charges with neuro dentist reasonable?

Not sure where or what part of the country you reside in - as dental costs vary based on the cost of living area - but it sounds reasonable. Ct scans genrally go for $1-1.5K and splints between $1-2K. What does she charge for bite adjustments - I doubt only 3 will suffice. The treatment approach sounds like standard nm treatment - it works for some and doesn't for others. You may want to contact your medical insurance provider and see if they cover myofacial pain disorder or tmj - many will cover the orthotic/ splint and tens unit treatments.

Closed Thread