It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Talking Articulator for adjusting splints?

Does anyone know about dentists using articulators before your initial fitting for an appliance so they don't have to do as many adjustments on them? Has anyone had this done ? How effective is it?

Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Articulator for adjusting splints?

Most dentists - well at least the ones I have been to - have taken impressions and mounted the resulting models from them on an articulaltor and send them to the lab when a splint is made. From what I have learned there are various types of articulators too - some supposedly are better in helping the dentist more correctly equalize the temporal plane and balance the lower jaw. I haven't faired too well regardless of what type of artculator has been used, my current dentist even bought the one designed specifically for tmj patients and we were both disappointed when things did not improve as a result. I find not too many can actually correct a structural imbalance if one is present - most times they incorporate the imbalance and, if anything, make it more pronounced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
(male)

thatbrian HB User
Re: Articulator for adjusting splints?

This is what scares me to death. I don't even want to be treated, because I think that treatment will do exactly what you say it will, ". . .incorporate the imbalance and, if anything, make it more pronounced".

Splints just seem to make problems worse for people. I would love to find 2 people who have been cured with splint therapy. I've already found dozens who were ruined by it. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
I find not too many can actually correct a structural imbalance if one is present - most times they incorporate the imbalance and, if anything, make it more pronounced.

Closed Thread