It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

procan HB User
Pain on one side only, mainly in the cheek... TMJ??

My main sympton is a major pain in my cheek. It is only on the left side. It has been going on since December. It is worse with chewing, worse in the evenings and worse after sports.

My doc says TMJ, because I do clench my teeth, do have limited ROM in the neck, and do have facial assymetry.

My jaw doesn't really hurt but I do feel the pain radiate from my cheek into my gums and ear at times.

Now this all did start around the same time as a really bad cold (the cheek pain started and then infection a few days later). It might be a coincidence, or it might be related.

Regardless, the pain is out of control, and nothing helps it

I'm going to see a physio tomorrow...

Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: Pain on one side only, mainly in the cheek... TMJ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by procan View Post
My main sympton is a major pain in my cheek. It is only on the left side. It has been going on since December. It is worse with chewing, worse in the evenings and worse after sports.

My doc says TMJ, because I do clench my teeth, do have limited ROM in the neck, and do have facial assymetry.

My jaw doesn't really hurt but I do feel the pain radiate from my cheek into my gums and ear at times.

Now this all did start around the same time as a really bad cold (the cheek pain started and then infection a few days later). It might be a coincidence, or it might be related.

Regardless, the pain is out of control, and nothing helps it

I'm going to see a physio tomorrow...

Hi--Sorry all the pain..Did you have a dentist, or a family practitioner check it out? I would have both, since the onset of it revolves around an infection. Baby yourself, eat soft foods for a while til you get opinions regarding exactly what's the cause. Try moist heat, usually if the muscle is in spasm, this will calm it down. An easy and cheap thing to try is to take 500mg. of magnesium supplements with 2-3 advil. The mag. acts as a muscle relaxant, and may help with the discomfort. Good luck!! ps--muscle spasms, especially severe around the tmj joints definitely can radiate pain to the ear. It's nasty pain sometimes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

procan HB User
Re: Pain on one side only, mainly in the cheek... TMJ??

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I have been to the dentist and he says my teeth are perfect!

My family doctor was saying sinuses for the longest time and is now saying TMJ or TN.... Going to physio today to see if they have any ideas....

And going for a catscan soon to rule out anything nasty.

Closed Thread