Originally Posted by jmitchell
Hi--Here are some good questions to ask:
1. What % of your practice is tmj related?
2. Have you taken addt'l courses for tmjd? If so, what were they?
3. What is your success rate? (Do they really tell us the truth?)
4. What is the normal mearsurement of jaw movement from side to side? What is mine?
5. Re: Neuromuscular Testing:
Do you do bioelectric testing? (ESG to check sounds within the joint)
6.CMS (to record delicate functioning movements in the jaw, accuracy in
10ths. of a mm.
7. EMG (measures and analyzes electrical activity in the muscles that move the jaw at rest and during function)
8. tens--to relax muscles
9. Do you take muscle readings in order to make the splint?
1. what exactly is my tmj problem?
2. What are the results from my x-rays?
3. What do you think caused my condition?
4. Will the splint correct this condition? and over what time frame?
5. What is phase 1 treatment, in great detail and time--including costs $$
6. What is phase 2 treatment, in great detail and time--including costs $$
7. How often does the splint need adjusting?
8. What type of splint or splints will I need to wear? What are their functions?
Look for a dentist belonging to these 3 associations:
1. The American Academy of Craniofacial pain
2. The American Academy of Orofacial pain
3. American Academy Association of Functional Orthodontics
good Luck !!!!