It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
(male)

sonnyco HB User
TMJ Muscle Relaxant

Hi I have intense tightness in my Masseter muscle (pretty much all 24/7) and am looking for some sort of muscle relaxant that is potent but without the brain altering/drowsing effects. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: TMJ Muscle Relaxant

Flexeril works for me without any side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

tmj225 HB User

Have you considered getting Botox in your masseter? It's expensive, but if your muscle pain is really bad, I have found that it is definitely worth it (with the right doctor, of course). Like you, I had awful masseter pain 24/7, and it's helped a lot. Like sunshine123 suggested, Flexeril has also worked well for me, w/o side-effects. It might make you drowsy the first couple of times you take it, but after a few doses, your body tends to get used to it. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
(male)

sonnyco HB User

Thank you both!
Botox sounds scary. Is it long lasting?
Anyone ever try Balcofen?

Thanks to all!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
(female)

tmj225 HB User

I know the Botox sounds a bit freaky, I just figured it would be a good option for you to consider if your masseters are really bad and the muscle relaxants are either affecting you too much or not helping the pain enough. The injections do hurt some, but I look forward to my Botox appointments because of the relief I get from the Botox. With my experience, the Botox lasts around 2 1/2 months or so. Most doctors will do it every 3 months. I would definitely recommend that you try a muscle relaxant first and see how it affects you before getting Botox-ed. Hope this helps!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I use baclofen - I wouldn't say it gets rid of the pain entirely but it does make it somewhat more tolerable or dull feeling and it doesn't make me too sleepy or groggy so i can take it during the day and I have never experienced any ill affects related to taking it either.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
(male)

sonnyco HB User

Yes that definitely is a help and I haven't really given the (possibly fatiguing) muscle relaxants a chance yet. One Dr. actually gave me a drug called Soma but I didn't find it helpful and I was freaked out by reading the possible side effects.

If the relaxants don't work I would definitely consider being "Botoxed". With pain like this I am keeping all options on the table (other than surgery).

Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
(male)

sonnyco HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
I use baclofen - I wouldn't say it gets rid of the pain entirely but it does make it somewhat more tolerable or dull feeling and it doesn't make me too sleepy or groggy so i can take it during the day and I have never experienced any ill affects related to taking it either.
Thanks for your input on the Balcofen. From what I've been reading it seems that others feel the same way as you. I think I'd like to give it a shot.

How intense and how frequent was your pain?

Closed Thread