It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

madnmas HB User
How do you tell the difference.....

..between a sinus infection and typical TMJ issues?

Before I was finally diagnosed a few weeks ago I would get the typical sinus infection about twice a year....ear pain, headache that won't go away, etc. I have minimal congestion and I am just not too sure.

For those that get both, how do you know the difference btwn. the two so you can get antibiotics?

I am going to have a pity party for a little bit, but since I am not able to afford the splint until tax returns in 2010 I am having to "deal with it". This is sorry. They were right when they told me things would get worse. I am even on a med for headaches when excedrin migraine does not do the trick, and this stuff is barely masking the pain. Now I am having pain in BOTH jaws, BOTH ears, and BOTH eyes.grrrrrr

/rant

Old 07-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
(male)

zac1980 HB User
Re: How do you tell the difference.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnmas View Post
..between a sinus infection and typical TMJ issues?

Before I was finally diagnosed a few weeks ago I would get the typical sinus infection about twice a year....ear pain, headache that won't go away, etc. I have minimal congestion and I am just not too sure.

For those that get both, how do you know the difference btwn. the two so you can get antibiotics?

I am going to have a pity party for a little bit, but since I am not able to afford the splint until tax returns in 2010 I am having to "deal with it". This is sorry. They were right when they told me things would get worse. I am even on a med for headaches when excedrin migraine does not do the trick, and this stuff is barely masking the pain. Now I am having pain in BOTH jaws, BOTH ears, and BOTH eyes.grrrrrr

/rant

Generally the best way to tell is via a CT scan. If this is not an option, then you need to examine your symptoms and crossreference your current ones with when you had known, diagnosed infections. Also, if you've had any discharge check to see if it it milky, or yellow/green. If so there is a good chance you may have an infection.

Speaking from experience, I've had sinus problems in the past and also had surgery on them this year (the second time). For me, the surgery did nothing as my symptoms persisted. I would recommend getting a Netti pot and try rinsing out your sinuses with a mild saline based solution (they usually come with packets).

I'm not 100% sure if I have TMJ, but my main problem seems to eminate from an area concerning a wisdom tooth extraction. To make a long story short, there is tremendous pull toward that area (and my jaw). My nasal passages are litterally pulled shut and I have a hard time breathing through my nose. I guess what I'm saying is that TMJ (and alike conditions) can many problems that mimic and mask other afflictions.

It also sucks that you're short on money as I understand how this feels. But my philosophy right now is to focus on my health regardless of the money it costs. In the end the increased productivity from feeling NORMAL will be able to offset much of the incurred debt.

If only I was a rich SOB. I would pay for your testing/splint myself (as long as you're not a clown of course)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
(female)

madnmas HB User

When I first joined this board I read of people that said comments such "not being able to cope" and things of that nature. At that point in time I was not too bad off, I had finally been diagnosed correctly after a year and could not understand why people seemed so destitute on this board. I mean, we know the pain can be bad...but this bad(?)

I am quickly getting into that position and feel terrible for thinking that more or less people just needed to suck it up such as I was doing at the time.. Luckily, it is not deadly...and I am having to deal with it the best I can. I also wonder how people deal with it mentally. My husband teases me about being sedentary. We all know the more we sit and dwell on things how much worse they actually seem. I am not underestimating my pain, but I know if I got up and exercised and tried to be more joyful that it would help....at least until I can do something for myself.

Last edited by madnmas; 07-07-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnmas View Post
When I first joined this board I read of people that said comments such "not being able to cope" and things of that nature. At that point in time I was not too bad off, I had finally been diagnosed correctly after a year and could not understand why people seemed so destitute on this board. I mean, we know the pain can be bad...but this bad(?)

I am quickly getting into that position and feel terrible for thinking that more or less people just needed to suck it up such as I was doing at the time.. Luckily, it is not deadly...and I am having to deal with it the best I can. I also wonder how people deal with it mentally. My husband teases me about being sedentary. We all know the more we sit and dwell on things how much worse they actually seem. I am not underestimating my pain, but I know if I got up and exercised and tried to be more joyful that it would help....at least until I can do something for myself.
The scary thing about tmj is that when you think you have finally hit rock bottom and things can't get much worse, you realize over time (or quickly if you have had treatment from someone who doesn't know crap about tmj) that things CAN get worse. It is amazing how the human body copes with pain. One day you just want to take a flying leap off the nearest bridge, and the next day when you look at your kids playing and laughing everything comes into perspective, and you want to fight like hell to get better. My hope for people who are suffering from this horrible dysfunction is to do as much research as they can, don't worry so much about the $ involved at the time --you need to get well, and search out doctors who know what they are doing, and talk to other patients and see what has worked for them. For all the people suffering , I hope we can look back on this time in our lives one day and say it made me appreciate my life more, my family, and to never take anything for granted again.

Closed Thread