It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
(female)

AndreaL HB User
mouth guard

I received my custom made mouth guard yesterday, last night was the first night I slept wearing it, although I woke up and realised that in my sleep I had removed it. I wore it most of yesterday afternoon and in the evening before going to bed with it, just to get used to the bulky feeling of it in my mouth.

How long does it usually take to get used to it? And does it tend to actually make the jaw muscles ache more until i am used to it?

It fits my top row of teeth because it was impossible to get a lower set mold due to my restricted mouth opening. Would this make any difference?

It is something that the one dentist I am seeig has suggested give a try until i get the results of of my MRI.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: mouth guard

Most mouth guards generally only prevent damage to teeth from the affects of grinding or clenching - most people with those problems find they tend to induce more clenching or grinding however. But if it does prevent or reduce your clenching or grinding, and ...if your pain is due to clenching or grinding, it could help. Sometimes the extra bulk though can intensify existing muscle stain or fatigue but if its comfortable enough that you can wear it - it may increase the vertical dimension within the mouth - and this may help reduce the severity of pain and symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
(female)

AndreaL HB User

Thanks for your reply, I'm not convinced then that the mouthguard will actually do anything for me because I really don't think that I clench or grind my teeth. I will give it a trial though just to see if I do feel any benefits over a couple of weeks. It seems to be that dentists suggest mouthguards to anyone and everyone with tmjd symptoms just to make sufferres feel that at least something is being done for them, despite it not actually benefiting in most cases by the seems of things.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaL View Post
Thanks for your reply, I'm not convinced then that the mouthguard will actually do anything for me because I really don't think that I clench or grind my teeth. I will give it a trial though just to see if I do feel any benefits over a couple of weeks. It seems to be that dentists suggest mouthguards to anyone and everyone with tmjd symptoms just to make sufferres feel that at least something is being done for them, despite it not actually benefiting in most cases by the seems of things.
Hi--If you are having grating problems and clicking, then you probably need a repositional splint, usually worn over the bottom teeth. This will bring the jaw slightly forward and down, and prevent the condyles from constantly rubbing on the bone. Also, hopefully begin to heal the tissues in that area, (or in my case, I have no disc left on the left, so I'm hoping the theory of a pseudo disc are correct. We can all hope, right? ha ha.) Then phase 2 is usually braces to correct your bite, crowns, or equillibrium. In my case, my vertical dimension is so profound as it is, I am going to opt for braces to fix my bite, and correct what my moronic orthodontist did to me 18yrs. ago. That's how this whole mess started. I'd like to believe that he has a special place in the big fiery inferno, if you know what I mean.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
(female)

bassclari HB User

Hi Andrea!

I thought that I didn't clench at night either. I swore, and still do, that it was not possible. I thought because I woke up feeling better, and my musle pain would come on during the day, that it meant that I was relaxed at night.

My night time splint is a top (left half and right half), with blocks built in below the middle teeth to prevent the back teeth from clenching together, and I have found a way to clench. I woke up a few mornings with both top and bottom middle teeth sore from the pressure from the clenching. From that I now realize that I was clenching.

Funnily enough, the dentist wanted me to try and wear only one half of the splint for a few nights because of a tooth on the bottom which is crooked. I found that only wearing the one half was better. He may decide that it is best to only wear half, we'll see when see him next.

I do notice at night (I wake up a lot!) that I have to make a huge, concentrated effort to relax my facial muscles. My body just is not at the stage yet of relaxing on its own.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
(female)

AndreaL HB User

That's why I think I don't clench because I don't wake up feeling any muscle pain in my jaws, my muscle aches and pains tend to stat mid morning and get worse throughout the day, so I thought my muscles actually did relax at night.
Although my mum gave me some good advice to try too, she suggested wearing the mouthguard when I'm busy or concentrating, like earlier I was standing for an hour ironing, so I wore the mouthgurad and could feel just how much I was biting into it, so I guess I must clench my teeth afterall so I will perservere with the mouthguard.

Jjmitchell - I have seen both a private dentist and an NHS dentist (NHS is free medical treatment here in the UK but has limits on what treatments it offers) It is the NHS dentist who has provided me with the mouthguard but the private dentist who wants to fit my bottom row of teeth with a repositioning splint, I am hoping to have this done over the next couple of months, after the repositioning splint has worked it's magic (I hope) then I'll be wearing braces.

thanks all for your replies

Closed Thread