It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
A couple of questions...

Please forgive the random stream of questions, but I just need to know if others here have the same symptoms as myself - I feel like I am going to seriously lose it because the pain is killing me, so please forgive me.

1. Is it pretty much safe to say that everyone on here suffers chronic daily headaches? I wake up sometimes feeling OK, but then as the day goes on, my jaw hurts worse and the PAIN starts and does not let up. I've tried doing ibuprofen every few hours as directed, however, it DOES NOT work!

2. Has anyone on here experienced a bee-sting like feeling in their cheeks? Almost like a bee stung them on the inside of their cheek?

3. Does your pain ever migrate to other areas of your head if you change positions? For example, if I'm sitting too long and then get up, my pain will move from my cheeks to my eyes.

I pop painkillers like they're candy. Friends, I need support desperately. I do not know where else to turn. I am seeing a chiropractor tomorrow and my dentist the following day for a nightguard, and my neurologist the next day. Can I get any lower??? My fiance just doesn't get it. He doesn't know how a person can be in so much pain every day. I hate to say it, but I have thought of suicide, but would never seriously do it, because of my daughter.

Does everyone with TMJD suffer this BADLY??? Will I always be in THIS much pain???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: A couple of questions...

Unfortunately some do suffer terribly to the point they become incapacitated and not able to function normally - it all depends on to what extent your tmj/tmd dysfunction has advanced to and what the underlying problem may be. Based on my experience pain meds do little to control this type of pain unless they are so strong they knock you out and IMO this may be due to the fact that in most advanced cases the underlying cranial, cervical and neuromuscular structure has been disturbed and forced out of alignment - so in essence until this is corrected the pain will persist and it will not respond to meds. Not every one experiences the same symptoms and for many the symptoms and their level of severity change from day to day and even from hour to hour.

Sorry this is putting such a strain on your relationship - but this too is also quite common - many who do not suffer with tmj can not fathom the type of pain it is nor its affect on a person. Although I had heard previously that tmj could be horrible - I don't think I ever imagined it as bad as what I endured these past 5 yrs. Did you ever think tmj could be this bad? That's where others are - they can't relate to it as they have never experienced this level of pain.

The good news is you are taking steps to get your life back. Hopefully you are seeing a cranial or upper cervical chiro or one with advanced training in cranio-facial or tmj disorders. I am not sure a night guard will help as they generally are only designed to help prevent damage to teeth from the affects of grinding or clenching - so you may need to see a tmj dentist and possibly be fitted for a splint or orthotic that will better relieve your symptoms. And its good you are seeing a neurologist as the "bee sting" sensation you are experiencing sounds like the trimengial nerve has been affected - if so, it may respond to medication.

I hope you get some relief soon and that better days are ahead. Let us know how all your appts go.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: A couple of questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLu View Post
Please forgive the random stream of questions, but I just need to know if others here have the same symptoms as myself - I feel like I am going to seriously lose it because the pain is killing me, so please forgive me.

1. Is it pretty much safe to say that everyone on here suffers chronic daily headaches? I wake up sometimes feeling OK, but then as the day goes on, my jaw hurts worse and the PAIN starts and does not let up. I've tried doing ibuprofen every few hours as directed, however, it DOES NOT work!

2. Has anyone on here experienced a bee-sting like feeling in their cheeks? Almost like a bee stung them on the inside of their cheek?

3. Does your pain ever migrate to other areas of your head if you change positions? For example, if I'm sitting too long and then get up, my pain will move from my cheeks to my eyes.

I pop painkillers like they're candy. Friends, I need support desperately. I do not know where else to turn. I am seeing a chiropractor tomorrow and my dentist the following day for a nightguard, and my neurologist the next day. Can I get any lower??? My fiance just doesn't get it. He doesn't know how a person can be in so much pain every day. I hate to say it, but I have thought of suicide, but would never seriously do it, because of my daughter.

Does everyone with TMJD suffer this BADLY??? Will I always be in THIS much pain???
I have the same symptoms as you, only I get the bee stings in my ears. The pain is excrutiating at times, and I was near suicide myself about 2mo. ago. The only thing I think that brought me out of it were my 2 daughters. I absolutely feel your pain. If you are in PA., look up Dr. Stack in Vienna Va. He is well respected in the tmj field, and at least get a consult to see if he can help. It wouldn't be a huge trip for you I don't believe. As far as your fiance, let him read some posts on here so he can truly understand the suffering that tmj patients go through. This is crucial that we educate our families and let them know really how bad it can get. I just entered tmj treatment with a doctor in Middleton, Wi. near Madison. He belongs to the 3 associations that I think a good tmj doc. should. They are -The American Academy Cranio, and Orofacial pain, and the American Academy of Functional Orthondontics. It took me 4 mo. to find him. Also, look at my old post, I believe from Silverwings at the end of June sometime--I typed up an old list that is great to take to tmj docs. so that they know you mean business and that you are educated and kind of grilling them on their practice and expertise. Let us know if you have any questions., and please know that you are definitely NOT alone in this.
PS,,to get well, you will probably need to go to massage therapy, Physical therapy, (which I just started a week ago) and chiropractic care, (preferrably an Atlas Orthoganist Chiropracter) they don't do the heavy cracking and manipulations around your head and jaw area.

Closed Thread