It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
(male)

seanm HB User
face sensitive to touch?

Hi,

This may sound weird but if I touch my face (esp right side), it makes the jaw pain worse and almost makes it more stiff or something. Anyone else notice this? Also, in pictures my smile sometimes seems crooked or off somehow. Just trying to make sense of this all.

Many thanks!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: face sensitive to touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm View Post
Hi,

This may sound weird but if I touch my face (esp right side), it makes the jaw pain worse and almost makes it more stiff or something. Anyone else notice this? Also, in pictures my smile sometimes seems crooked or off somehow. Just trying to make sense of this all.

Many thanks!
HI---sorry you have all this going on. I have pretty bad muscular spasms in my face as well. Actually, you can break these up by locating the point where the pain is the most intense, and pushing on it or masaging that location really does help. You have to to this until the pain and muscle spasm subsides, just learn to breath into it. It's unfortunately one of the nasty symptoms we get from tmj. Try to limit stress, caffeine, and maybe think about getting a massage for spasms. Once you decide on treatment, you probably need physical therapy and chiropractic, massage treaments to get well. (preferrably an ATlas ORthoganist Chiropracter) Take care, Jill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
(female)

madnmas HB User

I happened to be touching around my jaw the other day and found a spot that was so painful to press I gagged!!! How weird is that? It's not the first time.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
(male)

seanm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnmas View Post
I happened to be touching around my jaw the other day and found a spot that was so painful to press I gagged!!! How weird is that? It's not the first time.
Wow sounds intense!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User

Yeah I can totally relate
At one stage when I smiled the bad side didn't curve up at all. The muscles in the cheek were in such a spasm that they weren't flexible anymore.Also I had points on my face which when the dentist palpated in his initial exam were so painful I nearly cried out

The good news is that since wearing the appliance both these smyptoms have normalised. I guess because the applliance allowed my jaw to shift into a centralised position where the muscles on both sides of the face are equally loaded as nature intended.

Last edited by pipdog; 07-20-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
(male)

Shortcircuit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnmas View Post
Interesting that you should mention that. I had the same experience myself the other day. There was a slight sensation of tension near the jaw hinge, behind the left ear, and any slight pressure would almost instantly trigger my gag reflex, though the pain was not as intense.

Last edited by Shortcircuit; 07-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Closed Thread