It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Question Question for the Veterans... Cranial work

Hi all--Can you give me your opinions about when you should start Cranial Sacral Therapy in conjunction with splint therapy and PT? With my new splint, my face has even more distortion, and I'm getting kind of anxious about it to say the least. I don't go back to the dentist for a week and a half, so I wanted to ask you guys if I started pretty soon with that, would the treatments hold? Or should I wait a little longer til my body adjusts to the splint more? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

trychocolate HB User
Re: Question for the Veterans...Cranial work

Hi jmitchell,

I would recommend cranial sacral at any point, as it will not interefere with your dental treatment. It is the most 'cooperative' form of therapy I have ever tried, and works with your body systems to heal; so it won't 'fight' against what you are trying to accomplish. It may bring you some needed relief.

I found a new cranial therapist a few months ago and he has been addressing spine issues, but says he is going to throw on some plastic gloves and begin working inside the mouth to work with those clenching jaws from the inside as well. Is this the plan your therapist has? Have you had this type of therapy before and had any success? I am not sure if you should go to PT at the same time as sometimes the body can only process so much at one time; cranial sacral takes days after treatment as body goes through changes, so you might want to ask about this, so as not to bombard your system with too much at once.

I hope all works out well for you and you get the best possible out of your efforts,
choc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trychocolate View Post
Hi jmitchell,

I would recommend cranial sacral at any point, as it will not interefere with your dental treatment. It is the most 'cooperative' form of therapy I have ever tried, and works with your body systems to heal; so it won't 'fight' against what you are trying to accomplish. It may bring you some needed relief.

I found a new cranial therapist a few months ago and he has been addressing spine issues, but says he is going to throw on some plastic gloves and begin working inside the mouth to work with those clenching jaws from the inside as well. Is this the plan your therapist has? Have you had this type of therapy before and had any success? I am not sure if you should go to PT at the same time as sometimes the body can only process so much at one time; cranial sacral takes days after treatment as body goes through changes, so you might want to ask about this, so as not to bombard your system with too much at once.

I hope all works out well for you and you get the best possible out of your efforts,
choc
Thanks for your reply, I love your name by the way..I'm doing splint therapy in conjunction with PT right now. I've had tmj for almost 20yrs. since bad orthodontal work, so my posture and my muscles are totally screwed up. Physical therapy has improved my posture, but since I got my repositional splint, my body is totally trying to reject the jaw position it's giving me, thus more major spasms. I'm trying to work through them without taking meds, so I'm in a pretty fair amount of pain 24/7. My face has a lot of assymetry, so I thought cranial work would be good for sure at some point, but I think i'm going to ask my doctor his opinion, and all of you nice people as well. I agree that bombarding the body with chiro, pt, and cranial along with splint therapy would be pretty shocking, so I'm trying to wean myself in to everything. Thanks for your advice!! take care---J. PS--my dentist doesn't want any work done inside the mouth by anyone, no massage..I actually dont' want it either because I'm just leary of someone moving something the wrong way and my jaw locking or something..I did do lots of cranial work back when I was seeing my old dentist 15yrs. ago when this all started, and it did help.

Last edited by Jill 227; 07-24-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: forgot to say something

Old 07-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I did a couple years of cranial osteopathy and really it didnt do much for me, my dentist sent me and she would tell him how to adjust my bite.

I had an NCR treatment around 6 weeks ago and found that helpful so far as loosening my cranial bones. I have head pressure R. head and stuck temporal bones and actually all my head bones are tight.

I am having a new upper denture made and a lower splint denture and then going to have NCR again.

I do believe there is a big connection between the cranial bones and the bite.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
(female)

trychocolate HB User

Hi luvtocamp,

I have never heard of NCR and looked it up and also saw that demo on that popular website where two people are working on the client. It looks very similar to CS but I am still not totally clear on what the difference is and was wondering if you could explain. Would you say that it is more intensive, or what are your thoughts, if you don't mind?

I don't know if jmitchell has heard of it either, but I'm sure many could benefit from your experience with this therapy, and why you feel it is the better choice for your situation.

Thank you,
choc

Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trychocolate View Post
Hi luvtocamp,

I have never heard of NCR and looked it up and also saw that demo on that popular website where two people are working on the client. It looks very similar to CS but I am still not totally clear on what the difference is and was wondering if you could explain. Would you say that it is more intensive, or what are your thoughts, if you don't mind?

I don't know if jmitchell has heard of it either, but I'm sure many could benefit from your experience with this therapy, and why you feel it is the better choice for your situation.

Thank you,
choc
Thanks, I have no idea what NCR is too..can you explain?

Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Its where they put balloon up your nose to expand you head bones, release restrictions in sutures. It sounds worst than what it is. they inflate the balloons for just a couple seconds. I had one treatment and hope to get another, after I decide what do do about my toothache now. They do one treatment for 4 days, four balloons.

its more powerful than osteopathy as osteopathy just feels the out side of your head,
this is able to balance your sphnoid bone more.

Last edited by luvtocamp; 07-28-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtocamp View Post
Its where they put balloon up your nose to expand you head bones, release restrictions in sutures. It sounds worst than what it is. they inflate the balloons for just a couple seconds. I had one treatment and hope to get another, after I decide what do do about my toothache now. They do one treatment for 4 days, four balloons.

its more powerful than osteopathy as osteopathy just feels the out side of your head,
this is able to balance your sphnoid bone more.
Oh my gosh, now I've heard it all. When I started reading this morning I thought you were joking.. Hee Hee. How far up does the balloons go? I've had influenza testing with that cotton swab up the nose, and that's pretty uncomfortable. Do they go up that far? Yikes....

Old 07-30-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
(female)

AndreaL HB User
Re: Question for the Veterans... Cranial work

oh wow!! balloons up the nose!!!! What if it burst lol! I hadn't heard of this either and don't think i'm brave enough to let somone try that on me.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
(female)

trychocolate HB User

Thank you for explaining this, luvtocamp. I think I remember something about this therapy many years ago. If I remember right, it certainly requires a high degree of skill. I'm not sure if I would try it, as much as I would be a good canidate to, with all the cspine and arthritic jaw complications that get in those nerves. It would sure have to be a therapist who came highly recommended, you know, word of mouth from satisfied clients.

Anyway, thanks again and maybe some posters need too research it a bit on the net. It wouldn't be for everyone, and I remember a thorough medical check is needed to see if it is safe in each case; certain health problems might make it not the best option, if I remember right.

Hoping you find relief,

choc

Old 08-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Question for the Veterans... Cranial work

No it didn't hurt, they inflate the tiny balloons for a couple seconds. If you have recent facial fracture you shouldn't do it. I know I researched it for almost two years and was too scared, but then got the nerve to do it and I'm happy I did, can't wait for my next treatment. I'm getting dental work to will wait till that is done and hopefully will do the ncr again and dental follow up.

My face was not equal, on cheekbone behine the other, one ear further back and terrible R. head pressure, that the osteo could do nothing about.

Yes it is important to find a trained doctor to do this, not too many in the US.
None in my state, but we are trying to get one to come here so we don't have to travel, me and another girl who has a son who is getting it done.

Closed Thread