It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
(female)

katalyst HB User
Unilateral Ear Congestion/Stuffiness

Anyone have issues with TMD and unilateral ear congestion? If so, please reply.

Last edited by katalyst; 07-26-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
(female)

cbh2009 HB User
Re: Unilateral Ear Congestion/Stuffiness

Hi Katalyst,
I'm new here, just today and I saw your post! Well not sure if I know what unilateral means, but I'm going to guess it means both ears/sides.anyway I do suffer from ear problems with the ear pain, muscle spasms, ringing, buzzing, fullness. I really wish that I could get this to all go away, but I am looking into alternative options at this point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
(female)

VA_girl HB User

Well cbh2009, I think kat meant one ear/side when she said unilateral. I have pressure, senstivity & noises...especially in my right ear. I lot of doc's that didn't know the cause told me it was prob tmj b/c I grind&clench real bad. Just went to a new ENT today, he was fantastic, a total expert @ EVMS (Eastern Va Med School), he knew my symptons right away, one of which being the noise gets worse when I move my neck. He pinpointed it to be related to pressure on the jugular vein, b/ I'll have a mri. I still have TMJ, but now my suspiciousions about it causes the ear problems are being resolved. Just wanted to share!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
(female)

VA_girl HB User

I'll keep you posted, this was a new ENT than I'd been to before, by far, one of the best doc's I've seen. MRI is on Aug 20th. Does your ear ever hum or buzz to the sound of your heartbeat?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
(female)

velvetrance HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyst View Post
Anyone have issues with TMD and unilateral ear congestion? If so, please reply.
Yes, and there are a few reasons why this could be happening.
For one, the TM joint is very close to the ear. Should a slipped disc be the case the condyle could be pressing on the ear itself blocking passages. Also, inflammation of particular muscles near the TM joint will cause the Eustachian Tube to not work which regulates air pressure and will make your head feel stuffy.

This, sadly, is the hardest part about solving TM problems. Cold compresses on the side of the face help but other than that a good TMJ doctor would address that in treatment by realigning the jaw and making the spasms stop.

Closed Thread