HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tmj-disorder-temporomandibular-joint/)
-   -   Eye painful to touch? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tmj-disorder-temporomandibular-joint/706309-eye-painful-touch.html)

realistikk 07-30-2009 11:28 AM

Eye painful to touch?

:confused: The other day after working (work bothers my posture, a lot of awkward positions) My eye was extremely painful to touch, The skin around the eye felt like a stinging only when i touched it. It was scary, and im guessing its a TMJ related nerve problem? Has anyone else had it?

AndreaL 07-30-2009 03:13 PM

Re: Eye painful to touch?

I can't relate to the stinging feeling but I do get pain right around my eye, tonight, just now I'm having a lot of pain around my left eye, for me it's like the pain radiating from the jaw joint down to my chin and up and around my eye, it's quite sensitive to touch as well.

Thelma-Louise 07-30-2009 07:16 PM

Same here - no stinging per se just sore to the touch around the eye and the top part of the cheek bone plus a taut or pulling sensation around my right eye. Sometimes I get a throbbing pain behind the eye too.

madnmas 08-01-2009 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=realistikk;4047933]:confused: The other day after working (work bothers my posture, a lot of awkward positions) My eye was extremely painful to touch, The skin around the eye felt like a stinging only when i touched it. It was scary, and im guessing its a TMJ related nerve problem? Has anyone else had it?[/QUOTE]

If you want to talk about eye problems, I'm the one to talk to.

My eye problems are 80% of my TMJ problems.

realistikk 08-02-2009 01:06 PM

hi everyone,

stinging probably wasnt the best word. it can be described as a pulling, or just a sharp pain, only when i touched my eye. i also get pain around my eyes or behind too sometimes. is there relief for this? does moist heat help? im guessing its a nerve problem or displaced pain.

VeiL86 08-04-2009 10:23 PM

Hi madnmas, most of my TMJ issues relate to my eyes as well. What are your general symptoms? And have you had any luck treating them?

Mine are:
- Eyes constantly watering, everything seems to set them off (light, wind, cold air, drinking, laughing, watching tv/computer, anxiety etc)

- My right eye has an annoying twitch which usually comes around once or twice a day, depending on how stressed out I am.

- Most mornings I wake up with black eyes.

- Floating specs on both eyes 24/7

- I zone out all day long which makes my vision blurry

- Severe brain fog (find it difficult to put together simple sentences, have trouble with basic math, have difficulty concentrating and following a conversation)

- Tinnitus, itchy ears, fullness

- Back, neck, and jaw pain

Thanks,

pipdog 08-05-2009 01:29 PM

According to the office manager where I'm being treated eye pain is a very common TMJ dysfunction symptom; she hears about it all the time from patients.

When the disc is displaced the various muscles will try and compensate, go into spasm and start referring pain. Where you feel the pain is not actually where its being caused which is weird but apparently is common in medicine and is called 'referred pain'.

VeiL86

I can/could relate to so many of the symptoms you describe;

I had the black eyes, the watering, the twitching around the left eye and the brain fog but since wearing a Pivot / modified Gelb appliance these symptoms have all CEASED. I would say 50% better - I still get a killer pain behind my left eye though.

Reason is that the appliance was able to deal with the knock-on effects of the disc displacement (left side) but not able unfortunately to allow the disc to move back into its correct anatomical position. This was confirmed by MRI scans and I have been advised to have disc plication surgery.

madnmas 08-06-2009 06:27 AM

VeiL- Wow...my road has been a long one. There is a great possibility I have migraines, too, but I know for a fact that my eye pain is related to my jaw b/c whenever my ear hurts...oh my goodness-it feels like something is running from my ear to my eye...and it throbs.

Basically the beginning of my TMJ story begins with my eye. Excruciating eye pain...shooting, stabbing pain. I have a "scotoma" a little round circle in my peripheral vision that has been in my eye for over a year now. (I have a family history of migraines and my aunt had one of these last about a year. I am thinking b/c my TMJ keeps aggravating my migraines, mine may stick around longer) It has sparkly things inside it. I HAVE been to two eye doctors and both have assured me my eyes are in good health. The scotoma I see is migraine related. Why it has stuck around so long they do not know but assure me I am fine. I have frequent episodes of blurred vision in that one eye on the TMJ side. I feel like my eye lid droops. I have visual disturbances in that eye such as "after images"- where I look at something, look away..and then see the outline of the image I was looking at. I see visual snow at times...specifically in the morning. Oh, yeah...I also see yellow spots sometimes, or what looks like blood vessels in my vision-very, very faint- but the color yellow.

I have had no luck treating them. Once I was finally diagnosed with TMJ...which took a year b/c I had never had jaw pain...they want to give me a $2900 mouth piece. Because I cannot afford it right now I am going untreated. I treat my symptoms with OTC meds, a cold/heat pack, and whining!

My eyes have gotten a new symptom: burning and watering. This seems actually the worst...but when it is coupled with stabbing pain, boy oh boy does it hurt. I thought I was the only one on here with the terrible eye pain. Sure, it is listed as a symptom, but this one is my BIGGEST symptom.

I've got the same ear symptoms as you, too.

So for now, I come here and gripe and complain. I know my DH gets sick of hearing it, although very supportive it rules every conversation we have...so it is nice to gripe to people that gripe back. :)

[QUOTE=VeiL86;4051626]Hi madnmas, most of my TMJ issues relate to my eyes as well. What are your general symptoms? And have you had any luck treating them?

Mine are:
- Eyes constantly watering, everything seems to set them off (light, wind, cold air, drinking, laughing, watching tv/computer, anxiety etc)

- My right eye has an annoying twitch which usually comes around once or twice a day, depending on how stressed out I am.

- Most mornings I wake up with black eyes.

- Floating specs on both eyes 24/7

- I zone out all day long which makes my vision blurry

- Severe brain fog (find it difficult to put together simple sentences, have trouble with basic math, have difficulty concentrating and following a conversation)

- Tinnitus, itchy ears, fullness

- Back, neck, and jaw pain

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

kasa2008 08-07-2009 04:50 AM

[QUOTE=madnmas;4049505]If you want to talk about eye problems, I'm the one to talk to.

My eye problems are 80% of my TMJ problems.[/QUOTE]

If you dont mind me asking...what are your eye problelms.???.. I would say that about 80% are from my eyes are well...but docs say that eye problems/visuals etc..are not related to tmj....so i must be crazy is their conclusion..or that im having visual migranes on a daily basis..AAAHHHH!!!!

madnmas 08-07-2009 06:35 AM

[QUOTE=kasa2008;4053166]If you dont mind me asking...what are your eye problelms.???.. I would say that about 80% are from my eyes are well...but docs say that eye problems/visuals etc..are not related to tmj....so i must be crazy is their conclusion..or that im having visual migranes on a daily basis..AAAHHHH!!!![/QUOTE]
I am not a medical professional, I am just speaking off of experience. There is a debate whether TMJ is the "cause" of migraines. I am also going through surgical induced menopause AND I have a history of migraines in the family.

I find it all too coincidental that my migraine symptoms started when the TMJ problems began...same side of head..everything. A lot of people here can tell you that somehow everything in there is connected...but there are also symptoms of migraines...nausea, etc... that will allow you ot know you are having one. As for TMJ, there is blurry vision, terrible eye pain...how can all of that [U]not[/U] cause visual disturbances?

I'll ask for Thelma to give her two cents!

Thelma-Louise 08-07-2009 12:05 PM

My ears were ringing - did someone mention my name? or is that just from the tmj? LOL:wave:

If the discussion is concerning the question if tmj can affect the eyes or vision the answer is yes it can but its not a direct relationship which is why some drs are not familiar with it. In addition to the obvious or more common tmj symptoms, as the dysfunction continues to advance and progress the cranial/cervical alignment is disturbed, impacted and affected and this is what causes the symptoms that are not characteristically associated with tmj. Does it mean if you have eye or vision problems and migraines that you then must have tmj - of course not as there are other medical condtions that can cause these such as hormonal imbalances, endocrin dysfunction, vascular problems, optic nerve or retina disease, etc.

For those suffering with the muscular form of tmj, in which the joints and discs appear normal and work properly and tests like an MRI or tomogram confirm this but the bite however does not support the underlying musculeoskeltal anatomy and neuromsucular functioning, tmj or tmd is generally diagnosed - or more likely deduced - based on a series of "combined" or concurrent symptoms, much like other medical conditions.

It would be unlikely that someone with msucular tmj would not also have - in addtion to vision disturbances and migraines - some of the other more characteristic symptoms of it such as a change in the bite or the way teeth meet or even look, changes in jaw position such as a tendency for it to pull more to one side or even changes in facial appearance or increased facial asymmetry or the development of snoring, sleep apnea or grinding or clenching, etc. There should be at least a 2-3 other symptoms present directly related to the jaw and teeth for the "deduction" of tmj to be made.

Based on my experience where I spent much of my first year bouncing between medical and dental drs trying to figure out what was causing all my pain and other symptoms, as medical drs rely soley on scientific proof and testing, once all of that was exhausted and there was still no concrete diagnosis other than a lot of false alarms and wild goose chases (it could be MS, it could be dystonia, it could Parkinsons, etc.) medical drs basically threw up their hands - some said I was imagining it or a chronic hypochondriac (who had never been sick before btw), others said the condition would eventually progress and then make itself known (yeah, that's a good one, if you die then we will know you did have something) and others were more frank and said they didn't know what it was and the most I could do was medicate myself and live with it - once I got passed all of that however and clearly examined the chronological sequence of events and when and in what order the symptoms presented themselves, and did more research of course, it then became easier to focus more of my efforts on resolving the root of the problem. It also hepled when I finally found a few tmj dentists that were actually familiar with advanced muscular tmj as well as they were able to help "connect some of the dots" or missing links for me too.

Hope I didn't belabor the issue or bore you to death with my post. :dizzy:

madnmas 08-08-2009 10:25 AM

Thelma- with everything tied in together..would that make sense that eye pain is real bad upon wakening in the morning? Mine seems like it KILLS me when I wake in the morning. I almost feel as if my eyeball is not even attached to me head...burning, shooting/throbbing pain. I just want to keep it closed. Mornings are bad!

[QUOTE=Thelma-Louise;4053427]My ears were ringing - did someone mention my name? or is that just from the tmj? LOL:wave:

If the discussion is concerning the question if tmj can affect the eyes or vision the answer is yes it can but its not a direct relationship which is why some drs are not familiar with it. In addition to the obvious or more common tmj symptoms, as the dysfunction continues to advance and progress the cranial/cervical alignment is disturbed, impacted and affected and this is what causes the symptoms that are not characteristically associated with tmj. Does it mean if you have eye or vision problems and migraines that you then must have tmj - of course not as there are other medical condtions that can cause these such as hormonal imbalances, endocrin dysfunction, vascular problems, optic nerve or retina disease, etc.

For those suffering with the muscular form of tmj, in which the joints and discs appear normal and work properly and tests like an MRI or tomogram confirm this but the bite however does not support the underlying musculeoskeltal anatomy and neuromsucular functioning, tmj or tmd is generally diagnosed - or more likely deduced - based on a series of "combined" or concurrent symptoms, much like other medical conditions.

It would be unlikely that someone with msucular tmj would not also have - in addtion to vision disturbances and migraines - some of the other more characteristic symptoms of it such as a change in the bite or the way teeth meet or even look, changes in jaw position such as a tendency for it to pull more to one side or even changes in facial appearance or increased facial asymmetry or the development of snoring, sleep apnea or grinding or clenching, etc. There should be at least a 2-3 other symptoms present directly related to the jaw and teeth for the "deduction" of tmj to be made.

Based on my experience where I spent much of my first year bouncing between medical and dental drs trying to figure out what was causing all my pain and other symptoms, as medical drs rely soley on scientific proof and testing, once all of that was exhausted and there was still no concrete diagnosis other than a lot of false alarms and wild goose chases (it could be MS, it could be dystonia, it could Parkinsons, etc.) medical drs basically threw up their hands - some said I was imagining it or a chronic hypochondriac (who had never been sick before btw), others said the condition would eventually progress and then make itself known (yeah, that's a good one, if you die then we will know you did have something) and others were more frank and said they didn't know what it was and the most I could do was medicate myself and live with it - once I got passed all of that however and clearly examined the chronological sequence of events and when and in what order the symptoms presented themselves, and did more research of course, it then became easier to focus more of my efforts on resolving the root of the problem. It also hepled when I finally found a few tmj dentists that were actually familiar with advanced muscular tmj as well as they were able to help "connect some of the dots" or missing links for me too.

Hope I didn't belabor the issue or bore you to death with my post. :dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Thelma-Louise 08-08-2009 07:30 PM

My mornings are real bad too - I get better as the day progresses though so most times I don't even want to go to bed as I dread getting up and waiting for things to move around so the symptoms ease up . Others are fine in the morning and things get worse during the day. The issue is whether the imbalance in the bite and the postion of the jaw which is determined or affected by the imbalanced bite is more predominant in a resting or lying down position or an upright or prone position. It may also be affected by our innate natural bite - some people have a more posterior bite, others have a more anterior bite and other are more central - with variations of all 3 occurring as well. So a bite imbalance will affect each with different bites differently.