It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
(male)

tmj patiant HB User
Smile life style is the key to improve your TMJ symptoms

I have been suffering from TMJ symptoms for more than ten years, I went to too many doctors and most of them do not really understand TMJ, all they want to do is give you a splint that cost thousands of dollars and they ignore the real issue which is treating the cause of your TMJ problem.
How can you use a splint to reprogram your facial muscles while you still following a life style that triggered this problem?
The medical protocol should start with removing the cause before starting splint treatment, but the majority of doctors starts you right away with splint which I think is a big mistake and will make your condition worst.
There are things can help you ease or eleminate TMJ symptoms if you are in the begining stages of TMJ.
-Try to relax and deep breathe for 15 mints.
-See what kind of air you are breathing and if you smoke try to stop smoking for 2 days and see how your symptoms improve.
-Eat healthy foods.
-Monitor how much water you drink check if it is a normal amount.
-Organize your life; stress plays a big roll in TMJ.
-Drinking alcohol makes it worst.
-Drinking too much coffee could be a factor
-Most diet pills will worsen TMJ symptoms.
-Illegal drugs of all types will cause TMJ.
-Working long hours is not good for TMJ.
-Best of all is exercising, 30 mints of exercise every day will help improve TMJ symptoms.

Last edited by tmj patiant; 08-05-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added more informations for accuracy

Old 08-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

AndreaL HB User
Re: life style is the key to improve your TMJ symptoms

Whilst I agree that lifestyle has an impact on one's health, and making changes will help improve health, it really depends how severe the condition is. I think to say that changing one's lifestly is the answer, is far too simplistic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

trychocolate HB User

I hope you are prepared for the feedback you might receive regarding your post, tmjpatiant. I'm glad there are rules to ensure that everyone will be 'gentle' with their replies.

Those who have to endure and find relief with this problem will probably agree on one thing, and that is that no matter what the cause, TMJ is a structural situation and no matter what the approach one takes for relief, there is an underlying, out-of-alignment type condition that needs to be addressed, in most cases. (please note: in most cases).

The points you mention are good for addressing the stress-related symptoms that seem to increase misery and can be worth trying, although the stress from trying to 'perform' such a list might create more stress/symptoms for some. You have outlined a common-sense approach that might enhance overall health.

Very interesting to say that managing TMJ through this approach would be looking after the underlying cause: lifestyle.

choc

Last edited by trychocolate; 08-05-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
(male)

tmj patiant HB User

trychocolate in my post I was talking about how to manage TMJ in begining stages, when the cause of TMJ is ignored it will become a structural issue, then it will be more complicated probelm.
for most cases TMJ starts becuase of stress or bad habits.
I am not the best person to consult about TMJ but this is my personal believe from my long search and own experience

Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Well said, Trycholcolate - you epxressed what I could not put into words although I tried and tried for hours and then just gave up.

I can appreciate your point of view tmj patient but I doubt many even recognize tmj at its very early stages however what you have stated in regards to lifestyle changes could be applied to a host of other medical conditions as well so there is some truth and validity to it.

But I do agree with Choc that tmj is a structural problem. IMO tmj is primarily due to poor dental work, be it ortho or restorative, even the newer composite fillings can throw a bite off kilter - this can wreck havoc with an individuals' underlying structure and set the course for future disaster. It seems to me dentistry today is more focused on "selling" the perfect smile and not ensuring a healthy patient - some dentists have gone so far as to actually provide patients with incorrect information and/or make recommendations purely based on the profits it generates. But that's another post I guess.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 08-05-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I think you have a bit of tunnel vision on this subject but if it works for you then that is a good thing. Just remember TMJ has many causes and not one doc/dentist knows exactly how to treat. Mine was caused by chewing bubble gum all day long for a few years. When I chew or just open my mouth both sides pop, crack,slide and glide and sometime I have to put pressure on the outside hinge area just to open or close my mouth/jaw. I have all kinds of painful moments/events and there isn't much of anything anyone can do...the only thing there really is the bite guard for those that clinch or grind teeth. Stress or relaxed for me has nothing to do with anything. I just have to be sure I move my jaw in a certain way to unhinge it so I can open or close without extreme pain....it is what it is. Good luck with your situation.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
(female)

AndreaL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmj patiant View Post
trychocolate in my post I was talking about how to manage TMJ in begining stages, when the cause of TMJ is ignored it will become a structural issue, then it will be more complicated probelm.
for most cases TMJ starts becuase of stress or bad habits.
I am not the best person to consult about TMJ but this is my personal believe from my long search and own experience
I think if people are fortunate enough to realise TMJD is what they are suffering in the early stages and changing their lifestyle helps, then that's fantastic! And I don't disrespect anyone's opinion here on these boards, everyone's contribution is valid.
We can only speak from our experiences and unfortunately mine is that there was no early stage, my TMJD symptoms are not stress related, they are structural and always have been since the day I was born, in fact it's the way I was born that is to blame for my TMJD.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaL View Post
I think if people are fortunate enough to realise TMJD is what they are suffering in the early stages and changing their lifestyle helps, then that's fantastic! And I don't disrespect anyone's opinion here on these boards, everyone's contribution is valid.
We can only speak from our experiences and unfortunately mine is that there was no early stage, my TMJD symptoms are not stress related, they are structural and always have been since the day I was born, in fact it's the way I was born that is to blame for my TMJD.
Whew, I had to put my 2 cents in on this one. Saying you can cope with tmj by changing your lifestyle a bit is far too easy I think. It reminds me of walking in to my orthodontists office over 20yrs. ago, (the man who gave me my tmj dysfunction) and having him laugh in my face while he smoked his cigarrette, saying that all I need is a nightguard becuase I must be grinding my teeth at night. How simple? Flash forward to 2009, I have hardly any discs left, I'm in constant chronic pain, my family is suffering because I can hardly take care of my kids at times. It's great if you can get some relief from reducing stress and watching what you eat, but at this point I feel like I need a damn miracle to get well, so I don't think eating my broccoli is going to do much at this point.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
(female)

trychocolate HB User

You can still eat broccolli????!!!!

I have been wearing a night guard for 10 years to 'save the cracking teeth' and nothing more was promised. During that time: 4 crowns and 2 root canals. Save what again?

I wish this appliance were made of softer material as it does not seem to lessen the blow of all the grinding and chomping (wakes me up I am so busy at it).

chewing slow so as not to bite tongue,

choc

Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trychocolate View Post
You can still eat broccolli????!!!!

I have been wearing a night guard for 10 years to 'save the cracking teeth' and nothing more was promised. During that time: 4 crowns and 2 root canals. Save what again?

I wish this appliance were made of softer material as it does not seem to lessen the blow of all the grinding and chomping (wakes me up I am so busy at it).

chewing slow so as not to bite tongue,

choc
Ha Haa--Cooked broccoli, that is.. Hey chocolate lady, do you live near the famous Dr. Brock Rondeau? I read Marlene's old posts from 2003. She was one of the only cured tmj patients on this website. Just curious..

Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
(female)

trychocolate HB User

Nope jmitchell, far away but a most impressive name to search and would have many happy patients, by the looks of things.

Thanks,
choc

Closed Thread