It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Question Cranial work and Oesteopathy,,(sp) sorry

Hi guys, sorry if I spelled the latter wrong, but can you tell me the difference between cranial sacral therapy and Osteopathy treatments? Thanks!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
(female)

AndreaL HB User
Re: Cranial work and Oesteopathy,,(sp) sorry

I've been wondering this too and keep forgetting to ask my Osteodontic each time I see him!

I've had 1 session with a cranial sacral therapist and to be honest there didn't seem to be much difference apart from my Osteodontic pays much more attention to my skull and I can kind of feel what he is doing whereas the sacral therapist hovered her hands over different parts of my body but didn't apply any pressure anywhere. I alos believe that my Osteodontic knows more about what he's doing in relation to my TMJD than the sacral therapist. But that's just my opinion!

Last edited by AndreaL; 08-07-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Cranial work and Oesteopathy,,(sp) sorry

I have never been to an osteopath but I did a year of cranial sacral therapy. Cranial sacral will not realign the body and will not cure tmj. Its primarily a light touch pressure point therapy that supposedly increases movement or circulation of the cranial sacral fluid around the brain and addresses the facia or the thin membrane or sheath that lies benath the skin and covers the muscles across the entire body. The theory of it is that as the fascia becomes twisted or torqued the circulation of cranial sacral fluid is reduced or interferred with. The fascia helps allow muscles to freely move and work properly and injuries or trauma (such as tmj) causes the fascia to become twisted.

I found it did help with my overall body aches and pains, muscle twitching and spasms and allowed my body to become more relaxed but if the tmj is not corrected then the symptoms will return or continue. After a year however I found I was not seeing the same respone or improvement I did when I first started - which is true with most forms of alternative or holistic therapies - so I eventually stopped for a year and then tried a diff therapist and still did not see the same results so it seems some therapists are better at it than others.

Closed Thread