It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
sleeping

How do you guys sleep with TMJ? My ears hurt so much that I need to switch sides all night. I do not love sleeping on my back. Is there something to take to help with this? I am so tired from lack of sleep. Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: sleeping

I don't sleep much with the tmj either - but at least I am sleeping a bit more soundly now than when it first started.

I use 2-3 cervical or travel pillows - you can find them at Sears, Walgreens, BB&B for about $10. I tend to lay on my side and stomach so one pillow is between my head, neck and mattress and the others get placed under my face and stomach and kind of keep me from going flat on my stomach - but I wake up flat on my back with no plillows every morning.

If you take prescription meds such as muscle relaxants or pain meds flexeril would make me sleep as did triavil and baclofen. You could also try prescription sleep meds. If not, OTC meds may help like tylenol PM and other OTC sleep aids. I am sure these meds have risks if taken long term but when compared to the risk one takes being sleep deprived (driving, etc) it seemed to me to be the better alternative.

I know not everyone can afford to take naps during the day - but I found this also helped keep me from being a total zombie - I could and would fall asleep for 10-15 mins whenever I got the chance even if I was sitting upright - sometimes 3-4 times a day when I wasn't getting more than a few hrs at night. Now that I am sleeping more and getting 5-6 hrs I no longer need to do this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

madnmas HB User

Diphenhydramine is your friend.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User

A night appliance:

Its a custom made acrylic with a wire sub-structure mould of your ideal bite, (correct vertical dimension, mandible down & forward and in a centralised position).
Since wearing mine I am sleeping like a baby again.

When I spoke with my TMJ guy he was saying that if the bite is 'off' we will try to even it down when we are asleep, this is why we grind. The night appliance is like a traffic cop or something.

Last edited by pipdog; 08-11-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Better English

Old 08-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am willing to try anything, but an appliance is a little pricey from my dentist, $1000.00. I made the mistake of eating some crunchy food this afternoon and boy did I pay for it the rest of the day. I suspect tonight may not be good, but I am so tired. I do try benadryl sometimes and it does help a bit, but I may have to have two instead of one.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
(female)

jammyslisa HB User

I keep a heating pad that automatically turns itself off hanging from the headboard of my bed. All I have to do it pull it over onto my pillow and put the hurting side on it and go back to sleep since it turns itself off.

Closed Thread