It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
(female)

AndreaL HB User
New symptom- lockjaw?

Yesterday I experienced a new symptom from my jaw. (Left side as usual) It felt like the muscle all the way from my jaw across my cheeks/under my left eye became extremely tight and at the same time it felt like my jaw was being pushed/forced to the right, I had no control over it other than to physically hold the right side of my jaw with my hand to stop it from deviating even more, it felt like if it had continued to tighten and push my jaw over to the right that it migh lock.

Is this what is known as lockaw?

It frightened me so I took a diazepam which I had prescribed for me a couple of years ago for a flight because I'm a nervous flyer but I know diazepam is also a muscle relaxant and it seemed to work.

Could this be a new symptom that I'm going to experience more frequently beens though TMJD is a degenerative disorder?

I would appreciate your thoughts, thank you

Old 08-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
Re: New symptom- lockjaw?

I really dont' have an answer but I wanted you to know I hope you feel better and that this only happened once. I do however think I muscle relaxer would be a good idea. I dont' think it would hurt, so why not?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
(female)

canal19 HB User

Andrea,

sorry to hear of your new symptom. I think that lockjaw was when the either locks open or shut and you can't move it. I have suffered from it locking open on a number of occasions and it was one of the most frightening things ever. I don't whether the symptom you are describing comes under lock jaw though.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Becky

Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaL View Post
Yesterday I experienced a new symptom from my jaw. (Left side as usual) It felt like the muscle all the way from my jaw across my cheeks/under my left eye became extremely tight and at the same time it felt like my jaw was being pushed/forced to the right, I had no control over it other than to physically hold the right side of my jaw with my hand to stop it from deviating even more, it felt like if it had continued to tighten and push my jaw over to the right that it migh lock.

Is this what is known as lockaw?

It frightened me so I took a diazepam which I had prescribed for me a couple of years ago for a flight because I'm a nervous flyer but I know diazepam is also a muscle relaxant and it seemed to work.

Could this be a new symptom that I'm going to experience more frequently beens though TMJD is a degenerative disorder?

I would appreciate your thoughts, thank you
Yikes, Andrea--This is probably one of the scariest parts of tmjd. In the 20yrs. that I've had it, I've actually locked closed twice, due to tremendous muscular spasms I had at the time when I was still cutting hair for a living. When it feels that tight, put a hot water bottle or heating pad on your jaw right away, and take a muscle relaxer if you have one. If the spasms truly lock the joint and dislocate your disc, immediatly gag yourself , this motion that the gag puts the lower jaw in will hopefully pop the disc back in place. Not to make it sound nasty or anything, but it needs to be a pretty hard gag, not a small one. I know, sounds yucky, but it worked for me twice, and thank God it did, or then you run into the problem of a displaced disc that you have to try to recapture with splint therapy or other treatments. If you have any questions about it, send me a message...I hope you are feeling better now. Let us know.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
(female)

AndreaL HB User

Thanks for your replies.

I asked for my Osteopaths opinion and he said it sounded like a spasm with it lasting just a short time. I have been to the Dr's this afternoon and he prescribed me some more diazepam, only a small amount at 2mg and only 7 of them, the one I took yesterday was 2.5mg and seemed to ease off the tight feeling that remained.

I've been afraid of it happening again today because the muscle feels like it's in spasm again and feels like it might suddenly become extremely tight at any minute, I've always had jaw ache, with the muscle aching along with tooth ache in every individual tooth along my lower set but this very tight muscle feeling is new to me. It also makes me feel like I've been punched in the jaw.

Oh the joys of TMJD, the neverending list of symptoms.

I'll perservere with the heating pods I've got and will have to ration my supply of diazepam, I know Dr's don't like prescribing them because of their addictiveness.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaL View Post
Thanks for your replies.

I asked for my Osteopaths opinion and he said it sounded like a spasm with it lasting just a short time. I have been to the Dr's this afternoon and he prescribed me some more diazepam, only a small amount at 2mg and only 7 of them, the one I took yesterday was 2.5mg and seemed to ease off the tight feeling that remained.

I've been afraid of it happening again today because the muscle feels like it's in spasm again and feels like it might suddenly become extremely tight at any minute, I've always had jaw ache, with the muscle aching along with tooth ache in every individual tooth along my lower set but this very tight muscle feeling is new to me. It also makes me feel like I've been punched in the jaw.

Oh the joys of TMJD, the neverending list of symptoms.

I'll perservere with the heating pods I've got and will have to ration my supply of diazepam, I know Dr's don't like prescribing them because of their addictiveness.
Hang in there--I sent you a message...BTW--you can't get addicted to muscle relaxers after having only 7. My first prescription was of 24 Flexeril. I actually never filled it, but I was surprised at the amount given to me. They even said you could cut them in half. Good luck--take a bubble bath,,and try to relax....

Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
(female)

velvetrance HB User

lockjaw happens when the disc completely slips from in between the condyle and bone meets bone and cannot move. this isn't a muscle spasm but a lock between two bones where there is nothing to assist their movement. it's not really a side to side thing but more opening and closing.

to address the subject of muscle relaxers i've been on 10mg's of valium 3x a day for almost a year. before then it was other medications and i also have SEVERE anxiety so that was the best medication for me. it's also dirt cheap. it can be addictive but it isn't as bad as per se, xanax which i won't touch.

typical muscle relaxers should not be THAT addictive. when you start getting into benzodiazepines such as xanax, valium, and klonopin, that's when you need to watch out. however i may take 1 valium a day or the three im allowed which to me is a good sign that it's not as addictive as everyone makes it out to be.

also, i wouldn't trust someone's opinion who has never taken the medication over someone who has. a doctor can tell me valium is horrible for my body but i've quit having flashbacks and seeking death as a solution to my problem since i've been on it. i'd say the pros far outweigh the cons.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User

Lockjaw can happen when the disc permanently dislocates to the front of the condyle. Did you notice clicking beforehand?

I know much more than I want about disc position relative to the condyle and the effects dislocation can have. Mine is dislocated to the inside so up / down, open / closed movement hasn't been affected but when I move my mandible sideways I get a click. MRI scans confirmed this.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
(female)

AndreaL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipdog View Post
Lockjaw can happen when the disc permanently dislocates to the front of the condyle. Did you notice clicking beforehand?

I know much more than I want about disc position relative to the condyle and the effects dislocation can have. Mine is dislocated to the inside so up / down, open / closed movement hasn't been affected but when I move my mandible sideways I get a click. MRI scans confirmed this.
My jaw has clicked for a number of years (only on the left side) and on opening and closing my mouth although I'd say for the past 12 months it's not so much a click as a thud on only closing my mouth now so I'm guessing more and more damage has been done to the disc over the past number of years since it's been clicking.

However there was no click or change in the thud I feel prior to the muscle spasm I felt.

It just felt to me that had it not stopped spasaming then my jaw may have dislocated and my mouth locked shut.

Closed Thread