It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

bassclari HB User
Question Just wondering...musicians?

I'm just curious, does anyone play (or has anyone played) a wind instrument in the past? Either professionally or recreationally? It seems that the clarinet players I know have all had to deal with tmj dysfunction. When I quit playing in March the pain was unreal (in my face, pulling down into my neck and shoulder). My emboucher had deteriorated to the point where I couldn't play any longer than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, that last time was during a concert, and I had to keep going.

The one girl I spoke to said that switching to the bass helped her symptoms, but apparently, it didn't do the trick for me.

Maybe tmj is one of the hazzards of being a musician...like tennis elbow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: Just wondering...musicians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassclari View Post
I'm just curious, does anyone play (or has anyone played) a wind instrument in the past? Either professionally or recreationally? It seems that the clarinet players I know have all had to deal with tmj dysfunction. When I quit playing in March the pain was unreal (in my face, pulling down into my neck and shoulder). My emboucher had deteriorated to the point where I couldn't play any longer than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, that last time was during a concert, and I had to keep going.

The one girl I spoke to said that switching to the bass helped her symptoms, but apparently, it didn't do the trick for me.

Maybe tmj is one of the hazzards of being a musician...like tennis elbow.
C--I had to laugh when I read this post. I actually played the clarinet all through grade school, I think a total of 6 yrs. (That was before having tmj, and my muscles in my face still hurt back then) There is NO WAY that I could even play it today for 5 seconds!!! LOL ...it probably would dislocate my jaw..
--take care--J.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread