It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
face is just plain tired

This may sound silly but, after a few hours of talking alot, like today and yesterday when I was visiting with people, I couldn't wait to just rest my face. Weird, huh? my cheeks, jaw, neck and head just feel so achy and tired. I can't wait to lay down with an ice pack on. My ears are hurting too, so annoying, this condition seems to be getting worse instead of better, not matter what I do.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
(female)

bassclari HB User
Re: face is just plain tired

I get that as well. Mine also extends down into my middle back, shoulder, neck. Amazing how two tiny little joints can affect our whole body!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Good Morning,
Boy does this sound familiar. I'm a Special Ed Teacher and as such I talk and talk all day. I hold it together at work, but when I get home I sit and cry. I take my afternoon meds, put ice on my face and cry.
Oh well, I guess I'm in good shape as I still work full time.
Here's to pain free days, or at least pain free moments!
Peggy

Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegala View Post
Good Morning,
Boy does this sound familiar. I'm a Special Ed Teacher and as such I talk and talk all day. I hold it together at work, but when I get home I sit and cry. I take my afternoon meds, put ice on my face and cry.
Oh well, I guess I'm in good shape as I still work full time.
Here's to pain free days, or at least pain free moments!
Peggy
You must love summers, when there is much less talking going on. How so you do it all day? I am impressed.

Thank you both for answering.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Good Evening tmrots,
Thank you for the compliment.
You asked how I teach and talk all day. By husband and I are both teachers. When you put together our 2 salaries we make an excellent living (we both teach at the same school). Unfortunately if we lose my salary it would be difficult to keep our standard of living. So...I get up in the morning, take my happy pills as I call my meds, and get in the zone. I go to work and I tune out the pain because I know that I have to. I take each day at a time, and give my students the best that I can give them each day. I'm passionate about my job, about my students and about helping them be the best that they can be.
Now, when I get home that's a different story because I crash. The pain that I've held at bay all day catches up with me. This is the part that my husband doesn't understand, but I'm working on him.
I'm having a total joint replacement on my TMJ next month. Right now my pain is the worst it's ever been. At this point I'm counting the days that I'll be teaching until the surgery. I tell myself, "I can do anything for x... days". This is also one of the ways that I teach every day. I tell myself in the morning, "I can do this for 6 hours, 5 hours...". Some days that's how I get through the day.
Sorry for the long post.
I appreciate everyone's support. I'm counting down the days until the surgery, and then after the recovery I'm hoping to have much less pain, and to begin a whole new chapter in my life.
Peggy

Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Question Re: face is just plain tired

Pegalo i hold you at such high respect!! Keep going with that positive attitude and you will be healed in no time!!! what kind of symptoms do you suffer?

tmrots you will see by all my posts i always have suffered earaches .. what kind do you suffer and for how long! BIG HUG- i know exactly how you feel!

Praying for you ALL!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala,
I really hope you get relief from the surgery, please keep us posted on how you are doing. I bet it will make a world of difference, I really hope so.

Temera,
My ears get clogged, but shooting pain as well. Sleeping is getting harder and harder, both sides hurt when I lay on them so I am always in pain, my neck is bothering me as well, so that adds to it. Laying on my back all night is no fun either. I am truly at a loss.

It is all getting worse. Yawning caused major sharp pain yesterday, now on the right side too, which was the better side, but now they both hurt. I have heard that there isn't much to do for the arthritis in the jaws, I guess I somehow have to learn to live with it.

Thank you both and have a good day.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
(female)

velvetrance HB User

within the first year of having TMJ i could not talk for lengthy amounts of time. i would just get sore. now it isnt as bad i just seem to lisp a little from the splints. just make sure to try and keep your teeth from touching excessively. thats the best offer i can give you.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User

tmrots try a heatpack on your jaw while sleeping, always helps me! does it help you?

Velvet trance great advice , another tip is always let your jaw relax .. so just let it fall where ever it goes in a relaxed state!

Thinking of you and praying you are all getting better

Old 08-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by temera2 View Post
Pegalo i hold you at such high respect!! Keep going with that positive attitude and you will be healed in no time!!! what kind of symptoms do you suffer?

Praying for you ALL!
Temera,
Thank you for your kind thoughts. You've really made my days. There have been several times this past week when I've thought back to your compliment, and it's kept me going.
My symptoms include aching and pain from my chin, back to my ears, around to my nose, and back down to my chin. If that isn't enough, my balance is off, I feel fuzzy brained and tired. The pain gets worse when I talk, and when I eat. I'm at an age where I give myself permission to eat ice cream for dinner or pancakes for lunch.
I'm sure that some of the fuzzy brained and tired issues are from the mega doses of meds I take.
Thanks again for the compliments. We all do the best that we can each and every day.
Here's to a pain free day, hour or even minute.
Peggy

Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #11
(female)

velvetrance HB User

Luckily i'm a vegetarian so eating mushy food wasn't hard.
what i did found out that the meds im on *methadone, percocet, valium* do not mix with alcohol! especially the pain killers! I had a shot of BAILEY'S (very weak) in my coffee and just felt SICK. my stomach even started hurting me. im trying to flush the minute amount of alcohol out of my system as im suffering a terrible headache this morning.

so yes, the wonky feeling is TERRIBLE. i eat yogurt and berries, cottage cheese, fruit, lots of veggies, rice; thinks i don't have to chew up.

i am getting stress about starting to work again though. i feel like a bum but i dont want to be hard on myself.

Closed Thread