It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Question Any TMD success stories??

HI--I'm really frustrated, and I would like to hear from an old member hopefully who checks in from time to time who has been successfully treated for tmj. Specifically someone who had symptoms for a very long time and some joint damage before treatment started. Is there anyone out there who can share their story? The only one I know of is Marlene from 2003, and she doesn't come on the boards anymore. Thanks all.... Jill

Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: Any TMD success stories??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
HI--I'm really frustrated, and I would like to hear from an old member hopefully who checks in from time to time who has been successfully treated for tmj. Specifically someone who had symptoms for a very long time and some joint damage before treatment started. Is there anyone out there who can share their story? The only one I know of is Marlene from 2003, and she doesn't come on the boards anymore. Thanks all.... Jill
Come on people, I know you are out there, LOL....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

velvetrance HB User

sorry i fell asleep while writing, i will write more when i am finished and of sound mind.
-A. Kellar

Last edited by velvetrance; 09-08-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: fell asleep.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I also wonder, as I've been dealing with it for over 4 years now. Jill I feel your frustration.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
(female)

ellenwg HB User

I too would like to hear of success stories. My doc says he has many successes, but people out there, I want to hear from you. I am currently in a splint and will most likely have surgery. How long does the pain and agony last?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
(male)

slater1182 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenwg View Post
I too would like to hear of success stories. My doc says he has many successes, but people out there, I want to hear from you. I am currently in a splint and will most likely have surgery. How long does the pain and agony last?
Did the splint help any? I assume no if you are having surgery. I am getting a splint next week in the hopes to fix my TMJ issues. (fullness and tinnitus in the ears)

Old 10-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
(female)

delilah1963 HB User

I am better but not perfect. My joints were not damaged severely though. Last I knew, one condyle was pointed, like a beak, and the disc on the other TMJ was diagonal across the joint. I still get some cracking on one side, but not much pain.

I went through splints, PT, meds, neck steroidal injections, trigger point therapy, massage, heat, accupuncture, etc., but no surgery

I don't think I suffer on the same level as many of you, but I was definitely worse than I am now. While my joints are not perfect, a lot of my problem was muscular.

I can attribute my progress to:

1) finally paying attention to all the things they tell you that I didn't believe at the onset, like moist heat, stretching, massage, proper posture, stress management

2) realizing that though my TMJD wasn't helping my headaches, a lot of my headaches came from hormones. I am on birth control now and it helps a lot.

3) ditching all splints and getting braces to correct my bite from so many years of repositioning splints that had ruined my bite.

So while my joints still flare up, I only take Advil a couple of times a week and 1/2 muscle relaxant to help with clenching while I sleep. I hope the trend continues.

Best,
Del

Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
(female)

ellenwg HB User

My splint has helped to some degree. I'm not nearly in the pain that I was. I still however, don't have the range to open my mouth. I'm at 30 mm and normal is 48-52. My cartilage is out of place (and folded in half) and doc was hoping the splint would help it to move back into position. He told me up front he didn't think the splint would work, but that we needed to give a try. At this point it is not helping with that.

Closed Thread