It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
(female)

StillHope HB User
TMJ and the throat?

I have my bite messed up and the vertical of it lowered which caused many tmj symptoms. At some point after the dental work I feel like my throat is "not aligned". Besides the "usual" tmj symptom of feeling "a ball in the throat" I often have something else happening there. It feels like the muscles or ligaments are often contracting or shifting and it makes the burping sound. I never could even do burping on purpose until the dental work. It's quite annoying.
Sometimes I feel that the throat is torqued and is not going down straight.

Does anyone else have this or similar symptoms?
Any thoughts or info on that?

Some times I wonder may be this is not related and I should check it out. But the endoscopy does not seem to me like fun and I am also concerned that they might misplace my jaw in the process (as happened with someone from HB as I remember).

Old 09-06-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: TMJ and the throat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHope View Post
I have my bite messed up and the vertical of it lowered which caused many tmj symptoms. At some point after the dental work I feel like my throat is "not aligned". Besides the "usual" tmj symptom of feeling "a ball in the throat" I often have something else happening there. It feels like the muscles or ligaments are often contracting or shifting and it makes the burping sound. I never could even do burping on purpose until the dental work. It's quite annoying.
Sometimes I feel that the throat is torqued and is not going down straight.

Does anyone else have this or similar symptoms?
Any thoughts or info on that?

Some times I wonder may be this is not related and I should check it out. But the endoscopy does not seem to me like fun and I am also concerned that they might misplace my jaw in the process (as happened with someone from HB as I remember).
Hi there--I had to comment on your post because I have a ton of symtoms from my throat area. Before all of the excrutiating tmjd symptoms got out of control this past Feb. , I helped my husband last summer lift some gravel for our patio we were putting in. Needless to say, I pulled every muscle in my upper back out of whack , and my problems with my throat came on with a vengeance. I felt like I couldn't swallow food for weeks on end. It felt like someone was choking my to death constantly, and it hurt as well. My neck was so tight I could feel every ounce of food going down, and it would even make me gag at times. Also, my neck muscles from being so stressed would make a popping noise sometimes when I turned my head or made a sudden movement. I felt like I had a constant piece of food also stuck in the back of my throat. I thought at the time I might have throat cancer, because I googled those symptoms and that's all that came up. That, and something called tight throat syndrome or something like that. It's basically linked to stress, tmjd, etc. and some people have had that tight throat feeling for ever, or tried drugs to calm the muscles down. I even had an ENT look down my esophagus with a little light and he basically said I was under too much stress, and I had an esophageal spasm going on. (Also the injury to the muscles from lifting..) Not fun at all. Take care----J.
ps--not too sure about the burping aspect of it. What you might think is a burping noise, may be your muscles doing some sort of fast shift and torque that causes something like a burp? I know I've read old posts where tmj patients also had problems with gerd and acid reflux as well. I'm with you on not wanting to be scoped. An ENT can still use a mirror and their little lights to look down your throat without having to put you under. It doesn't give a good look all the way down of course, but at least it will put your mind at ease hopefully.

Last edited by Jill 227; 09-06-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: left out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
(female)

StillHope HB User

Thank you so much for sharing. I think I had that esophageal spasm. I just couldn't imagine this could be possible. Previously the feeling of the ball in my throat was a bit higher so I just thought that there should not be any more tmj related muscles down the throat.
Yes, the burping sound is not quite the air coming out but probably some almost constant activity of the muscles, ligaments and what not.

All this makes it harder to breathe as well. At least this does not exactly hurt but makes me feel constant fatigue.

How did it release in your case? From a splint or dental work??

Old 09-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHope View Post
Thank you so much for sharing. I think I had that esophageal spasm. I just couldn't imagine this could be possible. Previously the feeling of the ball in my throat was a bit higher so I just thought that there should not be any more tmj related muscles down the throat.
Yes, the burping sound is not quite the air coming out but probably some almost constant activity of the muscles, ligaments and what not.

All this makes it harder to breathe as well. At least this does not exactly hurt but makes me feel constant fatigue.

How did it release in your case? From a splint or dental work??
HI--Honestly, I still get the feeling of extreme tightness around my throat and neck, but it's always brought on from stress in my case at this point. I think with my tmjd, I might always have it to some extent, hopefully not, but who knows. I'm in a repositional splint right now that is bringing my lower jaw forward a bit, and after the first adjustment , I had extreme spasms everywhere increase..... the tight throat symptom came back a little as well, but not as severe as when I lifted all that gravel last summer. This sounds kind of bad, but the only thing that helps it when it is really bad is a rum and coke. LOL...The rum really relaxes my throat muscles and takes the edge off the severity of it. (I didnt' abuse alchohol at all, I"m just talking about 1or 2 drinks) ....This is how I eventually got over it last summer. I know that might sound bad, but I didn't want to take meds like muscle relaxers...I was scared to take them and didnt' know how my body would react to them. Sooooo, to make a long story short, I had a stiff drink everynight until my tight throat symptoms went away or were totally tolerable I guess you could say.
PS--If I remember correctly, it took at least a month to get rid of the severity of the throat spasms. They wanted to put me on anxiety meds, but I opted for rum instead..LOL.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
(female)

StillHope HB User

Good solution! Surely better than meds -LOL.

Closed Thread