It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
(female)

Blonde123 HB User
Possible TMJ?

I don't know much about TMJ, but think it is a possibility that I might have it. For the past 2 1/2 months I have had a constant pain on the top of my head (burning and aching). Sometimes it gets pretty bad. I also feel a lot of pressure in my temples and on the top of my head at times. My front tooth also has been bothering me for quite some time, but the dentist can't find anything wrong with it. I have a pretty bad overbite and the tooth feels very sensitive and sore behind it were my bottom teeth would either be clenching against it or grinding it during my sleep. I also have off and on facial pain (in my cheek bone area). The only thing is I don't have jaw pain. My jaw feels a little stiff when I open my jaw in the morning, but no pain. Is it possible to have TMJ without jaw pain? And if so, what type of dentist or doctor do you see for TMJ? I have been seeing a Neurologist for my headaches. But she doesn't understand why my face and tooth bother me. She hasn't mention TMJ, but I thought I might have some of the symptoms. I am so worried about the constant pain on top of my head. Any info anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: Possible TMJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde123 View Post
I don't know much about TMJ, but think it is a possibility that I might have it. For the past 2 1/2 months I have had a constant pain on the top of my head (burning and aching). Sometimes it gets pretty bad. I also feel a lot of pressure in my temples and on the top of my head at times. My front tooth also has been bothering me for quite some time, but the dentist can't find anything wrong with it. I have a pretty bad overbite and the tooth feels very sensitive and sore behind it were my bottom teeth would either be clenching against it or grinding it during my sleep. I also have off and on facial pain (in my cheek bone area). The only thing is I don't have jaw pain. My jaw feels a little stiff when I open my jaw in the morning, but no pain. Is it possible to have TMJ without jaw pain? And if so, what type of dentist or doctor do you see for TMJ? I have been seeing a Neurologist for my headaches. But she doesn't understand why my face and tooth bother me. She hasn't mention TMJ, but I thought I might have some of the symptoms. I am so worried about the constant pain on top of my head. Any info anyone has will be greatly appreciated.
HI--it sounds like you are in the very early stages of tmjd. I hope not, but I think that's what it is. You may get some relief from just using a nightguard. Mine was a lower fitting nightguard that covered all my bottom teeth. I wore this for over 10 yrs.. As far as having tmj with no real joint pain, yes, you can absolutely have no joint pain at the onset of tmjd. It sounds like your front tooth is getting stressed from you possibly clenching at night, and it is causing facial spasms...try moist heat and ibuprofen to take the spasms away. Look into seeing a dentist that specializes in tmjd and can make you a nightguard possibly that you can try to reduce some of the symptoms. Whatever you do, please don't let them start pulling teeth, shaving teeth, or telling you to get something that is irreversable to correct your bite at this point. Research more about tmjd before going into any kind of treatment.
good luck with everything---J.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

madnmas HB User

I had a TMJ problem for an entire year b4 I was finally diagnosed simply b/c I did not have what the obvious symptom should be- jaw pain. When an ENT finally diagnosed me, ironically, the jaw pain began. I also became more aware of it, too. It was at this point that the problems worsened. My first symptoms were ear pain and headaches.

As a praise, the past week or so (after a long 13 months) I feel like something has "happened" and for some reason I am not in as much pain.

Also, when diagnosed, I became much more aware that throughout the night I am clenching my teeth and subconsciously putting my bite into some really freaky positions. I have woken up before one tooth on the top (the one next to the two front teeth on the left) touching only one tooth on the bottom.

This TMJ stuff is crazy.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

i have had tmj and jaw arthritis for several years and on occasion I get pain right on the top of my head too. I have heard that sinuses can play a part in that as well, in fact, my mom went to the er once night for really bad on top of the head and it was sinuses. It is annoying and scary all at once.

I rub it and it feels temporarily better but then my sinuses will drain when I do that too, so maybe that's it. TMJ and sinuses seem to be related.

I hope you feel better.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
(female)

StillHope HB User

Yes, tmj can be w/o the pain in the joints themselves. It all sound like you could have lost some VDO in the back. I have the teeth pains in the front and the facial front pains b/c the jaw is in the more forward position that it should be.
Your deep overbite can be also caused by you loosing the VDO.
It woud be good if you can try to bite on smth in the back imitating higher teeth and see how you'd feel.

It is a great advice not to let ANY dentist do anything irreversible until they'll make you comfy and symptom free.

Closed Thread