It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: norfolk va usa
Posts: 10
navywifenb HB User
TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

I had my wisdome tooth removed 8/18/09 woke on 8/31/09 with tight jaw that then led to the worst pain of my life.I have seen a my oral surgeon 3 times, 2 er trips, dentist, and an ear nose throat doc with in 7 days. I am on 5mg percocet, 3mg valium, 600 mg ib pro,,and I still have pain. I am crying now. it's been 8 days since I woke up with this pain after simple extraction of an erupted wisdom tooth with local. SO I am wondering if you can give some advise as to what to do or who I can seek for help. I am so upset I cry every night and stay up with no sleep due to pain. NO ONE can help me. I can not take it anymore and even think of hurting myself to stop this pain. I am a happy person with a great life. But not sure how to deal with this pain. Seems as if the doctors don't think I am in as much pain as I am. I have never felt this way before in my life. Oh it hurts so bad. My ear, jaw, face seems to ache, headache temple and shooting pain. Can you please write me with advise and explain how this happened and what I should tell the docs to get them to help me. I am sooooooooooooooooo desperate. Please! tearfully, thank you in advance!

 
Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 65
AndreaL HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

First of all *hugs*! You are not alone, we can all understand your pain and frustration here, you need to find a dentist who specialises in TMJ, from my experience many dentists know very little about the jaw joint and so they can't help and will pass you on to other doctors and dentists, all of whom can't really help either. Unfortunately the jaw joint is the most complex in the body and you really need to search for a TMJ specialist dentist, it might mean travelling a while to get to one and paying quite a bit for treatment but it helps just finding a dentist who understands you and believes you and who can try to help you.

Praying for you, keep us posted about how you get on fidning a specialist.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 753
Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifenb View Post
I had my wisdome tooth removed 8/18/09 woke on 8/31/09 with tight jaw that then led to the worst pain of my life.I have seen a my oral surgeon 3 times, 2 er trips, dentist, and an ear nose throat doc with in 7 days. I am on 5mg percocet, 3mg valium, 600 mg ib pro,,and I still have pain. I am crying now. it's been 8 days since I woke up with this pain after simple extraction of an erupted wisdom tooth with local. SO I am wondering if you can give some advise as to what to do or who I can seek for help. I am so upset I cry every night and stay up with no sleep due to pain. NO ONE can help me. I can not take it anymore and even think of hurting myself to stop this pain. I am a happy person with a great life. But not sure how to deal with this pain. Seems as if the doctors don't think I am in as much pain as I am. I have never felt this way before in my life. Oh it hurts so bad. My ear, jaw, face seems to ache, headache temple and shooting pain. Can you please write me with advise and explain how this happened and what I should tell the docs to get them to help me. I am sooooooooooooooooo desperate. Please! tearfully, thank you in advance!
HI there---Sorry to hear about what you are going through. IF I were you, I would request at once they do an MRI or a cone beam scan to see if the oral surgeon didn't displace your discs in your tmj joints. Also, you need to be x-rayed for proof that this might have happened to you. I hope that this is not the case, but I've read so many posts on people's discs being displaced due to wisdom teeth extraction. Post what city you are living in and we will try to give you a good referral. My doctor is in the upper mid west if you want a referral. Until then, try using moist heat on your face, baby yourself w-the foods you eat, soft only...and please tell us what city you are in so we can help....Hang in there.....if you need to vent, just come on here to do it, we all do ! You will find help, just try to relax and baby your jaw for the time being.
oh, just saw you are in virginia....maybe someone can give you a referral. Take care..

Last edited by Jill 227; 09-10-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: forgot

 
Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: norfolk va usa
Posts: 10
navywifenb HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

thanks so much for your replies. I came here to make sure I am not completely insane. As I do very much feel that way. My oral surgeon seems to just blow me off with 5-6 days worth of pain meds and I have to travel an hour to see to get a new scrip. Not to mention I don't want to continue on the pain meds as they are all addictive!! However there is no other way to relieve my pain. I pase the floors every night in tears. Night is the worst I guess from all the action my jaw takes to talk and eat what I can. I have seen a total of four different people in a week totaling seven trips. No one can really help. The Ear nose and throat specialist was the first to say the words...tmj..problem I use heat all day long. I must say this is the absolute worst pain I have ever felt. Depression is setting in big time.

 
Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 753
Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifenb View Post
thanks so much for your replies. I came here to make sure I am not completely insane. As I do very much feel that way. My oral surgeon seems to just blow me off with 5-6 days worth of pain meds and I have to travel an hour to see to get a new scrip. Not to mention I don't want to continue on the pain meds as they are all addictive!! However there is no other way to relieve my pain. I pase the floors every night in tears. Night is the worst I guess from all the action my jaw takes to talk and eat what I can. I have seen a total of four different people in a week totaling seven trips. No one can really help. The Ear nose and throat specialist was the first to say the words...tmj..problem I use heat all day long. I must say this is the absolute worst pain I have ever felt. Depression is setting in big time.
You can also check to see if a doctor is near you by looking at the top of the tmj page and clicking on great tmj doctor thread, and scroll through those names and if you find a specialist near you, contact the member of Healthboards to see what their experience was with him or her.

you can contact a member by private messaging them, and either sending a message, or email. Just click over their names to see if they can accept those.

Last edited by Jill 227; 09-10-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot

 
Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockville, MD, USA
Posts: 21
rafkind HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

I am so sorry for your situation, having similar experience with my teenage daughter. She had never had any TMJ-related symptoms or problems prior to having her wisdom teeth removed. Shortly after that surgery, she had 24/7 severe, debilitating pain, very limited mouth opening with significant deviation to the left. Both of TMJ discs were displaced. She has had one arthroscopic surgery and two open jaw surgeries, which consisted of implanting titanium devices to anchor the discs in place along with fat grafts. She also receives botox injections every 10 weeks to help reduce muscle spasms in her jaw muscles. Cortisone and lubricant injections have been tried with no benefit. Various types of physical therapy have had minimal, if any benefit, although biofeedback training has sometimes helped her manage pain a bit. Unfortunately, her pain continues on a 24/7 basis and we basically live day-to-day with little expectation of future improvement. Instead, she may need a joint replacement at some point, hopefully not for many years. Please feel free to contact me directly -- and good luck to you.

 
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: norfolk va usa
Posts: 10
navywifenb HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

Can anyone help i am going to die from this

 
Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 257
trychocolate HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

Do you need to go to emergency for immediate pain management?

 
Old 09-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,278
Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifenb View Post
Can anyone help i am going to die from this
Although it may feel like this, its is not going to happen - believe me - all of us have probably experienced the intense pain and agony you are having right now and are still here. Please hang in there and know others do understand and know what you are going through.

You really, really need to go see a tmj dr - and a Pain Mgmt Clinic to help get you through this. You need to have MRIs done of the upper and lower jaws and tm joints and only a dr can prescribe them. Do not waste your time with dentists that dabble with this kind of thing - you want someone who primarily treats tmj and has years of experience. Until someone figures out what is wrong, medication - although not the best solution - will help dull the pain and make this somewhat more tolerable to live with.

In the meantime, if you do not have stomach problems, start taking an OTC NSAID like aleve - 2 tablets 4 times a day - on a full stomach or with food and drink. You can safely take up to 1500mg a day of naproxen (Aleve ingredient) without concern but do watch to see if your stomach can handle it. NSAIDS will decrease inflamation and will dull the pain some until you can get prescription pain meds.

Also, start using warm moist/wet towels as compresses around your neck, face and jaw (I used a wet towel in the microwave) - and ice packs as well. Alternate each 10 mins on and 10 mins off and then switch to the other. If you find one gives more relief than the other than just do that one, but still do 10 mins on and 10 mins off. Do this all day if you have to.

One other thing to try is gauze - place some gauze on the inside of your cheeks between the upper and lower teeth and let you lower jaw drop down - leave it open as much as you can but don't force it down - let it hang freely of its own accord.

One other thought - have you been checked by the OS for dry socket?

Hope this helps and that you find a good dr soon.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 09-12-2009 at 07:24 PM.

 
Old 09-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 753
Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
Although it may feel like this, its is not going to happen - believe me - all of us have probably experienced the intense pain and agony you are having right now and are still here. Please hang in there and know others do understand and know what you are going through.

You really, really need to go see a tmj dr - and a Pain Mgmt Clinic to help get you through this. You need to have MRIs done of the upper and lower jaws and tm joints and only a dr can prescribe them. Do not waste your time with dentists that dabble with this kind of thing - you want someone who primarily treats tmj and has years of experience. Until someone figures out what is wrong, medication - although not the best solution - will help dull the pain and make this somewhat more tolerable to live with.

In the meantime, if you do not have stomach problems, start taking an OTC NSAID like aleve - 2 tablets 4 times a day - on a full stomach or with food and drink. You can safely take up to 1500mg a day of naproxen (Aleve ingredient) without concern but do watch to see if your stomach can handle it. NSAIDS will decrease inflamation and will dull the pain some until you can get prescription pain meds.

Also, start using warm moist/wet towels as compresses around your neck, face and jaw (I used a wet towel in the microwave) - and ice packs as well. Alternate each 10 mins on and 10 mins off and then switch to the other. If you find one gives more relief than the other than just do that one, but still do 10 mins on and 10 mins off. Do this all day if you have to.

One other thing to try is gauze - place some gauze on the inside of your cheeks between the upper and lower teeth and let you lower jaw drop down - leave it open as much as you can but don't force it down - let it hang freely of its own accord.

One other thought - have you been checked by the OS for dry socket?

Hope this helps and that you find a good dr soon.
Dear Navyw--Let us know how you are doing----Thelma-L. gave great advice about please getting your surgeon to order an MRI done asap. If he refuses, contact another oral surgeon and get an opinion. Hang in there--you need to research people in your area who have done tmj treatment for at least 15 yrs. or so, call around to orthodontist and dentists and see who they refer their tmj patients who are in acute distress and severe pain to. If one name keeps coming up, just go to a consult and see what they have to say. IT's better to get your x-rays first though so they know what they are dealing with. Please know that everyone on this board feels your pain and knows what you are going through. I myself have had tmj for 20yrs., so believe me, I know how it goes..If you need to talk or have questions, please let me know ---hang in there, it will get better. --J.

 
Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: norfolk va usa
Posts: 10
navywifenb HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

so 1-800-dentist found a TMJ guy in Baltimore MD, about three hours away from me, but also my home town. SO I'll be calling him monday and I pray he can get me in asap. So maybe you all could pass that advise along.. hopefully it could hope. I sure hope it helps me to find this guy and get some releif.

 
Old 09-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 753
Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifenb View Post
so 1-800-dentist found a TMJ guy in Baltimore MD, about three hours away from me, but also my home town. SO I'll be calling him monday and I pray he can get me in asap. So maybe you all could pass that advise along.. hopefully it could hope. I sure hope it helps me to find this guy and get some releif.
Hi---If you wish, post this doctor's name and maybe someone has seen him and you can get an idea of his treatment and techniques for tmjd..It always helps to know someone by referral. Take care, and good luck with everything!
J.---

 
Old 09-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 694
Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

Dear Navywife,
I know what you're going through. Hang in there, you'll get help with the pain and other symptoms.
I see you live in Virginia, so I suggest you call the dental school in Richmond. It's at the Medical College of Virginia. I'd call there and ask for their best TMJ specialist, and then call his office and make an appointment.
Hang in there, it will get better.
Peggy

 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: norfolk va usa
Posts: 10
navywifenb HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

DR John Buronas TMJ dental/specialist, 1-800-dentist referal Baltimore MD. any one heard of him?

 
Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 753
Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction. worst pain of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifenb View Post
DR John Buronas TMJ dental/specialist, 1-800-dentist referal Baltimore MD. any one heard of him?
Hi there--finally found his website---When you call for your appt., ask how much tmjd training he's had, and if he does neuromuscular tmjd treatment as well. I could not find anything on tmjd treatment on his website other than he gives people that clench the NTI appliance. (A little piece of plastic that fits over the top 2 front teeth..)
Anyways, make sure this guy has done at least 15 yrs. tmjd treatment, or keep searching...Take Peggy's advice and maybe call the dental school for a referral. Good luck, and hopefully you can get an MRI done soon!

PS--another good way to find a tmj specialist is by other dentist's referrals. Call orthodontists and dentists in your area and ask them who they refer severe tmjd cases to, and see if one name pops up continuously.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Wisdom teeth removal, jaw fracture, numbness revakvi Dental Health 53 09-02-2010 10:16 AM
Jaw pain... TMJ?? Wisdom tooth?? canadianehngel Dental Health 1 03-30-2008 04:57 AM
Wisdom teeth & referred pain Tattooall Dental Health 1 02-27-2006 11:58 AM
If you think you need your wisdom teeth extracted, Read This First!!!! jay123 Dental Health 23 11-09-2005 03:12 PM
hard round palpable lump after wisdom tooth extraction marihealth Dental Health 1 06-09-2005 05:51 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!