It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

hwoods86 HB User
Just wondering

Hi there, lately I have been a lil more stressed out due to the beginning of the new school year, which has caused more tension in my jaw and pain/headaches. But with the recent flare up, i have been wondering if anyone knows if TMJ has been associated with any other joint problems. I constantly have my hips, knees, and other joints lock up and cause some pain. I was wondering if they could all be caused by the same thing, i have mentioned my joints popping and locking (and not in the dancing kind of way :P) to my doctors but they never seemed very concerned. my parents are starting to wonder cause its a fairly constant thing, and someone of my age (23) shouldn't be dealing with this yet. just wanted your opinion. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoods86 View Post
Hi there, lately I have been a lil more stressed out due to the beginning of the new school year, which has caused more tension in my jaw and pain/headaches. But with the recent flare up, i have been wondering if anyone knows if TMJ has been associated with any other joint problems. I constantly have my hips, knees, and other joints lock up and cause some pain. I was wondering if they could all be caused by the same thing, i have mentioned my joints popping and locking (and not in the dancing kind of way :P) to my doctors but they never seemed very concerned. my parents are starting to wonder cause its a fairly constant thing, and someone of my age (23) shouldn't be dealing with this yet. just wanted your opinion. thanks
HI--Tmjd is not just a disorder of the jaw. It will manifest itself, depending on the severity of the case, to many other parts of the body as well. It has a domino effect on the cervical structure of the body. Think of it like this--if your vertibrae in your neck are out of alignment, then this will have an impact on your upper-mid back as well. The longer your alignment is messed up, the more serious a condition will be present. You may start having hip problems, cracking and popping in your lower back, you may find from a chiropracter that one of your legs are shorter than the other, causing a balance issue, etc.. Also, when the mandible is out of alignment due to disc problems, bad orthodontics, etc,, this will create havoc in the muscles, usually starting near the joints, and progressing on to the head, neck, upper back, and even lower back area. This is where I am right now..tmjd has a long recovery when you get so out of whack, lots of physical therapy, cranial sacral therapy, splint therapy, and massage. LOts of $$, lots of time, but you need to do these things in order to feel better. The bad news is is that the ins. companies don't even think tmjd is a real dysfunction, and 90% of the time it is not covered, or very minimally covered at that. Your best bet is to try to have it covered not under dental, but medical under mayofacial pain disorder...MPD. Hope that helps,,J.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread