It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
My surgery is this Friday

Hello Fellow TMJers,
My total joint replacement will be this Friday, Sept 25th. I know that this is the best thing for me, but I'm scared.
My surgeon is Dr. Gary Warburton at the University of Maryland in Baltimore. I know that Dr. Warburton is an excellent surgeon, that the hospital is an incredible hospital, and that this is the right procedure for me. Why am I still so anxious?
Please say a prayer for my surgeon.
Thanks for all of your support.
Peggy

Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: My surgery is this Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegala View Post
Hello Fellow TMJers,
My total joint replacement will be this Friday, Sept 25th. I know that this is the best thing for me, but I'm scared.
My surgeon is Dr. Gary Warburton at the University of Maryland in Baltimore. I know that Dr. Warburton is an excellent surgeon, that the hospital is an incredible hospital, and that this is the right procedure for me. Why am I still so anxious?
Please say a prayer for my surgeon.
Thanks for all of your support.
Peggy
Hi Peggy--I will be thinking of you on Friday..will say lots of prayers that everything goes well. Take care, and let us know when you feel up to it how it is going. ----J>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
(female)

glitz HB User

Hi Peggy,
You kindly offered to share information concerning TMJ surgery when I indicated I may be a candidate. Here are hugs and a prayer for you on Friday. It sounds as though you have faith in your surgeon. Unfortunately, anxiety seems to be part of the surgery package, but you get to leave that behind and finally begin healing. I'm sure all will go as planned,and I look forward to reading your story of surgery success.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Thank you JMitchell and Glitz. As much as I'm anxious I know that I'm doing the right thing. My choices are continued pain management, and I can't stand what these pain meds are doing to me, or the surgery. I'm a teacher, and the students always make me smile. Working has definitely helped the time fly.
Well, here goes, I've given the surgery and recovery up to the angels. Between the surgeon and the angels, my life coudn't be in better hands.
I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks again.
Peggy

Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Best wishes and good luck. Post when you are able. I am sure you will be in all our prayers this week.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
(female)

rafkind HB User

Good luck with surgery and recovery.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User

Good luck Peggy!
I'll say a prayer for you and your surgeon on Friday
Pipdog

Old 09-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Peggy--you've been in my thoughts ---I hope you are doing ok post surgery...let us know how it went. Take care---J.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
(female)

velvetrance HB User

im not a big prayer person but i hope everything turned out alright and that you make a speedy recovery, peggy. take it easy and all the rest you need.

does anyone else know what the surgery entailed and what happened? im curious because i've never known what they did other than manual jaw re-positioning or disc replacement between the condyles.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dear TMJ Friends,
Thank you for your prayers and support. The surgery went well and I'm home and resting.

{Velvet Trance asked: "does anyone else know what the surgery entailed and what happened? im curious because i've never known what they did other than manual jaw re-positioning or disc replacement between the condyles.[/QUOTE]

Here goes with the surgery. I had bilateral TMJ total joint replacement last Friday. They did this because I had degenerative joint disease as well as bone on bone where my discs used to be.
For each side: the doctor makes two incisions which are about 2 inches long each. They go in and cut down the bone on the condyle as this is where the degeneration takes place. They cut the bone below were the disease is. They then take a titanium plate which replaces the bone and screw that into place. There is a hard plastic disc sitting on top of this plate. I now have discs. Then they move to the mandible. The shave down the spurs and make sure that the mandible is smooth and free of disease. Then they screw on a new mandible. This provides the new track for the new disc.
The surgery is intense, and is only used as a last resort, but I had no choice. I believe that this is going to work and that soon I'll be pain free.
If anybody has any questions please let me know.
I'll be starting a new thread chronicling my recuperation.
Peggy

Old 10-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Peggy, Just checking in on you and hoping life is getting easier in this stage of your recovery. I wish you the best. J.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
(female)

glitz HB User

Hi Peggy, I hope you're feeling better by the day. Thank you for your explanation. It sounds like intense surgery; but if it brings you relief, then you've done the right thing. Take care. I imagine you'll be all smiles in time for the upcoming holidays.

Closed Thread