It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
(female)

nessie01 HB User
splint making me worse

hi

i got a gelb 24/7 splint about 4 weeks ago and it has made my symptoms realllllllly bad......Im not due to see my nuroemuscular dentist until october 29 as i have to fly to see him, no one in my city at all!!

anyway i have emailed him this weekend........Im sure that it needs ajustment as it should not make me worse like it is.......so i have taken it out and am using my simple clench nite plate only until i hear back from him!! I certainly dont need my TMJ to get worse with a splint.........

anyone else flet that the splint made them worse.......or do i just need to get it adjusted?
thanks
ness

oh forgot to mention my spec used a tomo xray thing and showed me..........he said that my joints were unusally small and that i was born with this defect and was predispisitioned to getting TMJ bascally everything is really cramped in there.............the xrays showed that i still have cartilidge and space which is good.........anyone else have the same issue of smal TMJ joint

Last edited by nessie01; 09-26-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: splint making me worse

I can't comment on the Gelb splint as I never tried one - I go to Gelb's son in NYC and he made me a full mouth guard that covered both my upper and lower teeth that was hard to wear as it confined both jaws to a very undomfortable positon. Small joints? I would think that is relative and predisposed to your overall anatomy - not to mention limited to your dentists experience and his opinion only - I was told all my life my teeth were really small by several dentists - never thought much about it until dentists tried to make them larger. I was also told I had short roots to my teeth - but none of them are loose or mobile, etc. I think whats important is that the parts - teeth, joints, condyles, and muscles work well together and can function as they should.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
(female)

velvetrance HB User

i would think your think are not fitting together properly and wasn't adjusted as such in the beginning. i agree with thelma that the small joint wouldn't affect you now if it hasn't before. again, it's probably the splint not fitting properly but i don't know how it's affecting you because you didn't list your symptoms. (both before and after). i would need a little more info to help you out. -v

Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
(female)

nessie01 HB User

hi yeah i actually am quite small as in 160cm tall and smallish frame (hidden under a few kilos lol) and i do have a small mouth and small head...so maybe its normal for me............im going to ask him again about this when i see him..........

my nureomuscular dentist is part of the americain dental thinghy (he is in new zealand where i live, but is american i think) he also leatures around the world about TMJ and uses a tomo xray and seems to know his stuff..

anyway he emailed me back regarding my flare in pain and said that it was unusaul and that murphys law if i lived around the corner then i would be fine lol

anyway he said use my gelb through day and my night plate at night......so i will give it a go and see.........i am giving it 2 weeks!!! i must remember also that i have had TMJ for yearssssssssss, but only got severe this year, so maybe i especting to much to soon?

my symptoms when i started the splint is a flare in past symptoms some of which had previuosly dissapeared and have now returned plus a inflamation burning feeling in the joints themselves which for the last two days has settled.

my symptoms are headaches, pain when eat, neck, scalp forehead pain, tingly face and pressure soreness behind eyes............i however can manage most days without any pain killers, and take OTC if needed.........i can also eat most food fine of course not the stuff like bagels or steak etc...my mouth opening is normal and i dont lock....i do have noises thou light popping and a sort of clunk sound......

for some reason my pain is ten times worse when im sitting down? and heaps better when up doing things.........anyone feel worse when sitting? thanks for your replys
ness

Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie01 View Post
hi yeah i actually am quite small as in 160cm tall and smallish frame (hidden under a few kilos lol) and i do have a small mouth and small head...so maybe its normal for me............im going to ask him again about this when i see him..........

my nureomuscular dentist is part of the americain dental thinghy (he is in new zealand where i live, but is american i think) he also leatures around the world about TMJ and uses a tomo xray and seems to know his stuff..

anyway he emailed me back regarding my flare in pain and said that it was unusaul and that murphys law if i lived around the corner then i would be fine lol

anyway he said use my gelb through day and my night plate at night......so i will give it a go and see.........i am giving it 2 weeks!!! i must remember also that i have had TMJ for yearssssssssss, but only got severe this year, so maybe i especting to much to soon?

my symptoms when i started the splint is a flare in past symptoms some of which had previuosly dissapeared and have now returned plus a inflamation burning feeling in the joints themselves which for the last two days has settled.

my symptoms are headaches, pain when eat, neck, scalp forehead pain, tingly face and pressure soreness behind eyes............i however can manage most days without any pain killers, and take OTC if needed.........i can also eat most food fine of course not the stuff like bagels or steak etc...my mouth opening is normal and i dont lock....i do have noises thou light popping and a sort of clunk sound......

for some reason my pain is ten times worse when im sitting down? and heaps better when up doing things.........anyone feel worse when sitting? thanks for your replys
ness
HI--I am with you on the muscular pain being worse when I'm inactive. My muscles are in such spasm right now that any sitting kills me. I need to keep moving. Curious, what is your doctor's name Nessie? Also, if you have had tmjd for a long time, a couple of months is not going to be a good enough time to judge whether your splint is the problem. Obviously if it feels adjusted improperly, you can tell that, but I"m talking about the onset of symptoms you may be feeling as a result of treatment starting (with the splint). For example, in my case I've had tmjd for almost 20yrs., and I've been in my splint for 2mo. I still haven't seen any big improvement in my muscular symptoms, actually if anything i feel worse because my jaw is being pulled forward to the position that it should have been in all this time.I'm no expert, but that is something I imagine that can make muscles ticked off. LOL.
Good Luck with your treatment. Keep your doctor posted of anything severe, remember, that's why you are paying him the big bucks....Keep him on his toes, so to speak. Take care...J.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
(female)

nessie01 HB User

Hi J

thanks..............i think that im expecting to much to soon and although its not good that you are still expereincin TMJ symptoms after 3months of splint therapy it does help me relax knowing that it took along time to get this way so its going to take a long time to get better as well.

Im not sure if im aloud to post names............if I can his name is
John Burford and he has some info on him on this website
http://www.alpersdental.co.nz/the_jaw_joint.html

so if there are any other Kiwis needing help then we do have a TMJ spec here....

hope you are feeling well soon!! keep posting on your progress and so will I..........
take care
ness

Closed Thread