It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User
numbness in jaw area?? and face ???

I have had TMJ for over 20 years. Lately, the pain has flared up very badly - had to have an emergency root canal too which did not help. About 2 mths ago while eating dinner I started to hear a clicking sound on the right side. It came out of nowhere and never went away.

Since then I have been having considerable pain - both sides - right side always worse. I have had in the past a heavy feeling on the right side of my face when my jaw is bad. And off and on over the years I would sometimes get weird numbness in my upper lip on that side - my nose would feel numb and sometimes my lower lip. Last few weeks I have been having considerable numbness that moves. It will go away for a few days and then return. Always on right side - in front of my ear; down my jaw on that side towards my chin; my nose and lip and sometimes even down the side of my neck. My cheek bone under my eye is VERY PAINFUL and numb feeling too off and on. I also have horrible neck pain and horrible pain at the base of my skull on both sides, but right side again is worse. Mind you, I have had this a very long time, although not this much numbness. I am pretty sure its jaw related because I have had swelling on that side of my face and I have been waking up in the morning totally clenched shut. I cannot wear a night guard - they all make me gag. Just wanted to know if anyone else has this strange off and on numbness - feels like I just got a shot of novacaine. I also have fibromyalgia. Thanks for your help.

MaryAnn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
(female)

madnmas HB User
Re: numbness in jaw area?? and face ???

Hi, MaryAnn.

There are many people here that have experienced TMJ disorder for several years. I am going on 15 months. While I am not a medical professional, please be relieved to know that if you do have a TMJ disorder that numbness of the face is indeed normal.

A few others on here may drop in and explain to you "why" this occurs, but all I know is that I have experienced it and it is related to TMJ disorder.

A quick google search brought up tons of pages of individuals asking if it is related.

Last edited by madnmas; 10-20-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Thank you - I keep getting nervous that its something else, but its just so coincidental that my jaw is SO bad right now and I know there are tons of nerves in that area and when it becomes compressed or out of "joint" which I know mine is right now, numbness just does not seem so out of the question. I did do some searching, but did not find too much on TMJ and facial numbness. If you have any sites that talk about it, or anyone does, I would certainly appreciate it!!! Thanks for replying to me.

MaryAnn

Old 10-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
(female)

mommyx4 HB User

I have just started having the numbness or feeling like i just had a shot of novacaine on my left side and when i was about 14 i was diagnosed with TMj, i was just at the doctor, and it goes to my nose, my chin, and in to my cheek on the left side i also have anxiety and panic disorder, the doc says it is from TMJ and that i should take an anti inflammatory (like motrin) to see if that helps it also makes my left ear feel like weird, or like i am getting an ear infection. it is really bothersome and scares me but doc says it is due to my TMJ and I have just irritated it and that is why it feels like that, i also have pain in my neck and the top of my head, had every test done that is possible and they say there is nothing wrong so I feel your pain thx

Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
(female)

madnmas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyx4 View Post
I have just started having the numbness or feeling like i just had a shot of novacaine on my left side and when i was about 14 i was diagnosed with TMj, i was just at the doctor, and it goes to my nose, my chin, and in to my cheek on the left side i also have anxiety and panic disorder, the doc says it is from TMJ and that i should take an anti inflammatory (like motrin) to see if that helps it also makes my left ear feel like weird, or like i am getting an ear infection. it is really bothersome and scares me but doc says it is due to my TMJ and I have just irritated it and that is why it feels like that, i also have pain in my neck and the top of my head, had every test done that is possible and they say there is nothing wrong so I feel your pain thx
When you say you have pain on the top of your head...do you mean literally on the very top of your scalp? My left jaw is my problem area and sometimes I have throbbing pain on the top left side of my scalp at the same time my jaw is hurting..but oddly enough...there is no pain in between. (?)

Old 10-31-2009, 06:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

I get pain on top of my head too, but I am not sure if it's the muscles reacting form the tmj or sinuses. Either way, it is very annoying.

Closed Thread