I had bilateral disc repositioning surgery just over a month ago.
Changes to date:
- No jaw deviation on opening, its straight up/down movement now, no detour
- Opening has increased from 40mm to 43.5mm, target is 50mm by Christmas
- Face is symmetrical again
- TMJ area still painful but less so
- No clicks / pops / twangings
On a non-chew/liquid diet, lost 10lbs already and doing the Therabite exercises on a half hourly basis.
Also had the appliance adjusted last week and the bite needed to be slightly corrected / balanced. On this visit I was told that most of the patients are those like me who have had 4 pre-molars removed for childhood othodontics or whiplash victims. Both can cause the TMJ discs to dislocate. I'm just being patient - its weird though, life on hold, my only 'job' being the exercises.