It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
Screws in Jaw

Good Evening Fellow TMJers,
Has anyone had screws put in their jaw for TMJ treatment?
I had bilateral joint replacement surgery four weeks ago. The doctor put four screws in my jaw, two on top aligned with two on the bottom. He put small rubber bands around the screws to keep my bite in place as I heal. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
My pain is less than before the surgery, but I'm having dickens of a time with pain from these screws. I can feel tissue that is growing around the screws. This tissue is very tender, and the screws hurt. This is the worst of the pain right now.
To anyone who has had these screws, "What did you do to help this pain?"
I'm counting the days until I get these blasted things out. They come out next Monday. I know they're necessary, but they hurt.
Thanks for your help and for letting me vent.
Peggy

Old 10-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Screws in Jaw

I never had the screws Peggy - I would imagine they would hurt though - I have read posts from some in the Dental Problem Forum that have had them as they are used when a broken jaw is repaired or in orthognathic surgery in repostioning the upper and/or lower jaws. The best I can relate to it is when I had to attach rubber bands to braces some 30 yrs ago - and my lower back teeth would ache I also have some wires embedded in my lower jaw from a genioplasty (chin augmentation due to chin recession after braces) and that took almost 6 months before the pain and pinching sensation stopped.

Are you taking any prescription pain meds as I would think they would help - if not maybe some advil or aleve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
Re: Screws in Jaw

Dear Thelma-Louise,
Thank you for your input.
I didn't think to look at the Dental Forum, I'll take a look over there.
I'm still on Motrin 800's and Percocet as needed. I think I'll just keep the Percoset in my system until I get the screws out on Monday. I put ice on my face last night and that helped too.
Take care,
Peggy

Closed Thread