It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
(male)

cfb58 HB User
does the m.a.r.a. appliance cause tmj or any long term problems with your jaw

Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: does the m.a.r.a. appliance cause tmj or any long term problems with your jaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfb58 View Post
HI--I was curious about your question because my daughter actually will have to wear a mara for sometime in the near future for an underdeveloped lower jaw. It is similar to the Herbst appliance, but not at much is involved. If you google the Herbst, and then look at the mara, the mara is much more of a simplistic design. I can't honestly answer your question about long term harm, but her orthodontist uses it a lot in cases where the mandible needs repositioning, and needs to be brought forward. He opposes using the Functional Jaw appliance called the Twin Block, because it's like having a hockey puck in your mouth 24/7. I tend to agree with him on that, but I am watching my daughter's progress like a hawk, and any adverse reaction or pain when she gets to that stage I will get a second opinion asap!
So to answer your question, the mara if used correctly is supposed to help the lower jaw come to the proper position, and help grow and establish the muscles and the jaw bone, especially in an adolescents case like my daughter.'s I hope my unprofessional opinion helped a little...lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
(male)

cfb58 HB User
Re: does the m.a.r.a. appliance cause tmj or any long term problems with your jaw

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm debating whether to use the appliance or not. I'll keep digging for info and if I find any new results I post it here . Thank you again for your help! Charles

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-19-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Closed Thread