It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Unhappy Numbness in arm, tingling....

Hey everybody---
Been in a repositional splint for over 4mo. now. When I received it, it sent my jaw muscles and upper back muscles into a real tizzy. I'd been in the wrong position, (Mandible) for almost 20yrs. since bad orthodontics. Anyways, now I"m in PT, and I still have pretty horrendous spasms when I do a lot of housework, lifting stuff, etc..and now I have a new joyous symptom------my left arm goes somewhat numb at times, and with it comes a tingling sensation. Kind of freaks me out, but I know it has something to do with my muscles being in such spasm, something is being pulled out of whack and squeazed the wrong way.
Does anybody have this as well, particularly during splint therapy and PT treatment?
Thanks everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Numbness in arm, tingling....

As you may recall I am not in splint therapy but its only recently that the numbness and tingling in my fingers and arms has eased up - its definitely related to the neck. It was so bad at one point my sense of touch or feeling was impaired as was my dexterity. Make sure you mention this to your dentist and therapist.

I met a guy recently when visiting a relative in the hospital who told me that the nerves of each finger is related to a specific spinal disc - he rambled off which went to what but I can't remember it now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
(female)

stormy1966 HB User

HI- Google scalene referral pain pattern. I have had this symptom since my tmjd began. And cleaning anything, lifting, etc. always makes it worse. Even trigger points in the pectoral muscles can send pain, numbness, and tingling down the arm. I usually get my husband/chiropractor (she does trigger point massage) to press on the scalenes into the neck and it helps. It hurts like the dickens but the next day the numbness and tingling are usually better. You can even try doing it yourself. The scalenes are tricky because there is the anterior, posterior, and middle scalenes but really all you have to do is to push around until you find where it hurts then press into them and hold. This is what my chiro has showed me to do in the past. There is a book for the lay person called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. It is a self treatment guide for trigger point work and it shows almost all the muscles and their referral pain pattern, the causes, and what you can do to help yourself. It has been a great learning tool for me. Hope this helps you!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy1966 View Post
HI- Google scalene referral pain pattern. I have had this symptom since my tmjd began. And cleaning anything, lifting, etc. always makes it worse. Even trigger points in the pectoral muscles can send pain, numbness, and tingling down the arm. I usually get my husband/chiropractor (she does trigger point massage) to press on the scalenes into the neck and it helps. It hurts like the dickens but the next day the numbness and tingling are usually better. You can even try doing it yourself. The scalenes are tricky because there is the anterior, posterior, and middle scalenes but really all you have to do is to push around until you find where it hurts then press into them and hold. This is what my chiro has showed me to do in the past. There is a book for the lay person called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. It is a self treatment guide for trigger point work and it shows almost all the muscles and their referral pain pattern, the causes, and what you can do to help yourself. It has been a great learning tool for me. Hope this helps you!
Thanks you two---I know I have some major issues with my neck as well, TL--because ever since this whole mess started last winter, my neck sounds like a glass pit whenever I move it. We are trying to do exercises to decompress my discs in my neck, but I guess I"m not seeing the results I want quick enough. This issue is a tough one to correct for me...(the glass sounds in neck).

Closed Thread