It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
(male)

not4sakn HB User
just got my appliance

I just got fitted for my appliance on monday and its not so bad. Its clear and hardly noticeable. I have to wear it 24-7 for 3 weeks then maybe nights only. The dr. Said the best appliances should be fitted so that the lower and top cuspids (fang teeth) only touch and nothing else. He said if i attempt to grind at night ill get way less pressure this way than a flat bite guard.

He also told me when asleep one is able to generate more grinding force than when awake. Your neck muscles flex amd tense up hence the neck pain.

My question is how long should it take for me to notice improvements with headaches? He also wants to see me for additional therapy like possible trigger point work along with anything else.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: just got my appliance

It depends on how often you were getting the headaches - if you were getting them every day then you should see some improvement with that immediately - meaning that they should either be less intense, last for shorter periods or start becoming intermittent. If you were getting the headaches periodically it may take several weeks for you to realize or notice any changes with them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
(male)

not4sakn HB User

Was he on point with how the guard should fit?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by not4sakn View Post
Was he on point with how the guard should fit?
Hi not4sakn---is your appliance a lower appliance? If it is an upper, watch your progress very carefully. If you have more symptoms, or you get worse, tell them immediatly. Also, all your teeth should be incased if it's an upper so they don't super errupt downward, thus causing a permanent change in your bite. Mainly, an open bite can occur. Did you receive this splint because they are trying to reposition your mandible? If so, it should be bumpy, holding your jaw in the new position 24/7, no exceptions. You should be eating with it as well. Good luck with everything. J>

Old 12-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
(male)

not4sakn HB User
Red face Re: just got my appliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
Hi not4sakn---is your appliance a lower appliance? If it is an upper, watch your progress very carefully. If you have more symptoms, or you get worse, tell them immediatly. Also, all your teeth should be incased if it's an upper so they don't super errupt downward, thus causing a permanent change in your bite. Mainly, an open bite can occur. Did you receive this splint because they are trying to reposition your mandible? If so, it should be bumpy, holding your jaw in the new position 24/7, no exceptions. You should be eating with it as well. Good luck with everything. J>
The bite guard/splint that was made is an upper and fits my 8 front teeth. The guard was designed so that when I close my mouth or bite, my upper and lower cuspids (canine teeth) meet evenly. The doctor said this type of guard is best for grinding because youre not able to get as much leverage to grind with only the cuspids touching. Nothing is being done to change my overall bite or reposition my jaw.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
(male)

not4sakn HB User

Ive been wearing the guard since Monday and havent noticed any change in my tension type headaches. I still have this constant pressure feeling and numb/tingling/full like feeling in my jaw and face. This has been ongoing for almost 2 years now. At first my jaw never bothered me and within the past few months it has. Im really not sure whats causing these symptoms but no doctor to date can tell me with all the tests Ive had done. Its so frustrating.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
(male)

TehBr00tlz HB User

I had a lower appliance fitted last year, my jaw would still pop...waste of 4800 bucks.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBr00tlz View Post
I had a lower appliance fitted last year, my jaw would still pop...waste of 4800 bucks.
Depending on the severity of your tmjd, popping sometimes will never go fully away, especially if it's a ligament making the popping noise. If they get stretched too far, it will cause damage. Also, with a lower appliance that's done correctly, anyone should see a change for the better within 2-4 weeks, (muscle tension..) or its' not done CORRECTLY.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
(male)

not4sakn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
Depending on the severity of your tmjd, popping sometimes will never go fully away, especially if it's a ligament making the popping noise. If they get stretched too far, it will cause damage. Also, with a lower appliance that's done correctly, anyone should see a change for the better within 2-4 weeks, (muscle tension..) or its' not done CORRECTLY.
What do you think of the upper appliance my doctor made me? Before wearing it id get face tingling intermittently but ive had it almost daily since wearing it now which has only been about a week.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by not4sakn View Post
What do you think of the upper appliance my doctor made me? Before wearing it id get face tingling intermittently but ive had it almost daily since wearing it now which has only been about a week.
Hi not4sakn---Well, this is just my opinion, based on my own experience, recent and in the past, and talking to many people who have had tmjd for yrs., treatment that's worked, not worked, and also talking to many dentists and studying different mindsets on therapy, upper appliances in treating tmjd just don't work. They may give relief from damaging teeth from bruxing, but that's about it. When an upper appliance is used, it doesn't "hold" the lower jaw in any particular place, and lets the mandible slide all over, especially when sleeping. Also, if your upper appliance does not have all teeth incased into it, the teeth that are not covered will errupt downward, causing a permanent change in your bite. If dentists tell you this cannot happen, run, don't walk out of their offices. In my opinion, the guys that know how to treat tmd the best are dentists that belong to the ICCMO, and are Functional Jaw Orthodontists. Also, they have to practice Neuromuscular dentistry, and have a great knowledge in how to use Functional Jaw Appliances.
Lower orthodics for treating tmd should have full contact with all teeth, should "hold" the jaw in place with the indexing, (bumpiness), and should have enough vertical dimension so it will give the tongue enough room to function properly when eating, chewing, etc. Bottom line with these though, if you don't see an improvement in swallowing, muscle tension, pain, headaches within 4wks, it simply is not done correctly. It may be due to not enough vertical, the position wasn't done right, or its' not bumpy enough. (or all three ) . That's my opinion.

Last edited by Jill 227; 12-07-2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: forgot..

Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
(female)

TVCelebrity HB User

Is there anyone on the planet who has actually had success with the Gelb appliance? I have yet to find a happy patient. I wish I had done more homework before being sold snake oil.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
(male)

TehBr00tlz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVCelebrity View Post
Is there anyone on the planet who has actually had success with the Gelb appliance? I have yet to find a happy patient. I wish I had done more homework before being sold snake oil.
nope!! I ate $4800. Why didn't they just recommend the braces treatment right off the bat....

Old 06-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

You cannot enter into a phase 2 treatment like orthodontics until most or all the symptoms are cleared by wearing the proper orthodic. You need to get the muscles happy again first, wearing the appliance 24/7, even while eating. The orthodic should be fabricated with these important tests, or frankly it's mostly guesswork....
1. EMG testing, to measure and analyze electrical activity within the muscles
2. K-7 unit testing
3. Tomograms, before and after shots to accurately see the changes in condyle placement before the orthodic is made, and after it's made
4. Tens unit----to relax the muscles to find the correct jaw position before making the orthodic
5. CMS testing, to recored delicate functioning movfements in the jaw, accuracy in 10ths of a mm to the correct condyle placement...

The orthodic should be a lower, hard acrylic orthodic, that is indexed, (bumpy) to hold the mandible into the new jaw position. Over time, (months) depending on how severe the case, the muscles will adapt, and calm down. There are many other factors involved though in some people. Foot and knee problems need to be addressed, physiotherapy, or physical therapy to address forward head posture will need to be done, possibly with CranioSacral therapy, and chiropractic care.
It's very important that a dentist never does anything permanent until this phase is over with.....or you will simply be moving teeth into the old jaw position which will still cause major muscle dysfunction. IMO, the best docs out there do Neuromuscular dentistry, along with Functional Jaw Orthodontics.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

You cannot enter into a phase 2 treatment like orthodontics until most or all the symptoms are cleared by wearing the proper orthodic. You need to get the muscles happy again first, wearing the appliance 24/7, even while eating. The orthodic should be fabricated with these important tests, or frankly it's mostly guesswork....
1. EMG testing, to measure and analyze electrical activity within the muscles
2. K-7 unit testing
3. Tomograms, before and after shots to accurately see the changes in condyle placement before the orthodic is made, and after it's made
4. Tens unit----to relax the muscles to find the correct jaw position before making the orthodic
5. CMS testing, to recored delicate functioning movements in the jaw, accuracy in 10ths of a mm to the correct condyle placement...

The orthodic should be a lower, hard acrylic orthodic, that is indexed, (bumpy) to hold the mandible into the new jaw position. Over time, (months) depending on how severe the case, the muscles will adapt, and calm down. There are many other factors involved though in some people. Foot and knee problems need to be addressed, physiotherapy, or physical therapy to address forward head posture will need to be done, possibly with CranioSacral therapy, and chiropractic care.
It's very important that a dentist never does anything permanent until this phase is over with.....or you will simply be moving teeth into the old jaw position which will still cause major muscle dysfunction. IMO, the best docs out there do Neuromuscular dentistry, along with Functional Jaw Orthodontics.

Last edited by Jill 227; 06-29-2010 at 03:45 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill 227 For This Useful Post:
jeanharlow (06-15-2011), JPBEADS (05-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #15
(male)

TehBr00tlz HB User

Your a wealth of information there Jill! I just had a bad experience with my appliance...felt cheated out of my money.

Closed Thread