It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

Mitch5 HB User
Eyes/Vision shakes, feels jumpy

I was diagnosed with TMJ/Muscular origin about a year ago. I have neck issues as well. Most recently I noticed that my eyes, whenever I am reading something on the computer the words look almost like they are jumpy, shaky. I can't really explain it but I feel like there's "motion" going on with the words while I am trying to focus in on them. Does that make any sense? Anyone else experience this? The reason why I think it's TMJ related is because my neck is achy and hurts, I have achy pain behind my eyes and put putting 2 and 2 together it seems reasonable that this vision stuff is related as well.

Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

Mitch5 HB User
Re: Eyes/Vision shakes, feels jumpy

No one gets this? I went to my ophthalmologist who said my eyes are fine. Nothing wrong with their movement, optic nerve is fine, pressures are fine, everything is normal. Then, why is my vision messed up? I asked if neurologically I could have something going on and he said he would see something like that. Is that true? I don't even know. I'm not sure which way to turn. I know I have TMJ and Fibromyalgia. I am wondering if anyone has this who has either condition. It's scary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Hey Mitch----I do get major eye symptoms with my tmjd. Sometimes I see flashes of diamond lights in my vision. When the pain was excrutiating this past summer, I barely could focus to read. I would get nauseous and the words would make me dizzy to read. I could not focus to read at all. It's getting better. I'm in splint therapy, and having my lower jaw repositioned to give the condyles more room. I know part of my vision problems were that I wasn't eating enough, wasn't getting enough sleep at all, and I was under extreme stress from the whole tmj situation. I have 2 little kids, so what little energy I have, goes to the family. I would get a second opinion from a neurologist just to be safe, but the symptoms should go away if you are in the proper treatment, eating well, etc. I know it can be really scary though.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
(female)

Mitch5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
Hey Mitch----I do get major eye symptoms with my tmjd. Sometimes I see flashes of diamond lights in my vision. When the pain was excrutiating this past summer, I barely could focus to read. I would get nauseous and the words would make me dizzy to read. I could not focus to read at all. It's getting better. I'm in splint therapy, and having my lower jaw repositioned to give the condyles more room. I know part of my vision problems were that I wasn't eating enough, wasn't getting enough sleep at all, and I was under extreme stress from the whole tmj situation. I have 2 little kids, so what little energy I have, goes to the family. I would get a second opinion from a neurologist just to be safe, but the symptoms should go away if you are in the proper treatment, eating well, etc. I know it can be really scary though.
Thank you.

I did just as you suggested last week.. I saw a neurologist who did the following:

Exam = Normal
MRI of brain = Normal
MRA of brain (looking at the vessels) = Normal
MRA of neck (vessels) = Normal
Tons of bloodwork = Normal

He did not do an MRI of the neck because I just had one done 2 years ago which showed my C5/C6 messed up and a couple other issues with the neck.

He feels that my neck is somehow causing either my brain to be in a chronic migraine state and is producing this aura OR my neck in general is causing my eyes to get this visual disturbance so he put me on a beta blocker and has me going to a physical therapy place that does all kinds of different treatments for myofascial pain, osteopathetic medicine, craniosacral medicine, etc.

My vision is not better in the least. Everything I see shakes and wobbles. It is so insane. I am so frustrated with this.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch5 View Post
Thank you.

I did just as you suggested last week.. I saw a neurologist who did the following:

Exam = Normal
MRI of brain = Normal
MRA of brain (looking at the vessels) = Normal
MRA of neck (vessels) = Normal
Tons of bloodwork = Normal

He did not do an MRI of the neck because I just had one done 2 years ago which showed my C5/C6 messed up and a couple other issues with the neck.

He feels that my neck is somehow causing either my brain to be in a chronic migraine state and is producing this aura OR my neck in general is causing my eyes to get this visual disturbance so he put me on a beta blocker and has me going to a physical therapy place that does all kinds of different treatments for myofascial pain, osteopathetic medicine, craniosacral medicine, etc.

My vision is not better in the least. Everything I see shakes and wobbles. It is so insane. I am so frustrated with this.
Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing "shaky vision". That must be horrible. It reminds me of last summer when I had a cranial treatment and right when the therapist manipulated the maxilla, I had a huge wave of dizziness come over me that didn't go away for 3 days til my next adjustment. It was insane. I could hardly drive. Sometimes, when the cranial sutures are affected by bad splints, CST adjustments, or osteopathic treatments, you can get side effects like that. I'm glad the MRI didn't pick up anything. Now you need to look into maybe getting a consult with an atlas orthoganist chiro, or maybe an osteopath. Make sure that they are aware of all your symptoms, and get referrals. Some are definitely better than others. I'm curious why your neurologist put you on a beta-blocker though. Be careful with those, make sure your dosage is small, and be aware of the side effects. If you are on a pretty substantial dose, you can't just stop taking those. You need to wean yourself off of them slowly. I was supposed to take a beta blocker called Toprol, and after I read of the side effects, I chose not to take it. I have tremendous muscular issues with tmd, and one of the side effects is increased muscular pain, and joint pain. Also, increases depression, among the many side effects....I hope you get some answers soon. Sending good thoughts your way.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

At the start of my tmj pain and symptoms I too had shakey vision - it was like my eyeballs were moving back and forth constantly and I couldn't focus so I would squint even harder - but I also had black floaters, bolts or flashes of colors and twitching of the eyelids during that time. My brain scans suggested MS and my c-spine scan showed bulging on C5,6 and 7 but I decided to trust my instincts - since all my symptoms started with a change to my bite - and not pursue any further treatment with the neurologist and instead looked for the right tmj treatment to correct the problem and other therapies to help my body recover from the trauma of it all. I can't advise you regarding taking the beta blocker or not - it seems however that lately the beta blockers are being prescribed more and more for conditions not related to what they were initially developed for - at one time they were primarily used to treat heart and BP issues. If you find however they do not help with your symtpoms I would recommend of course you not continue taking them - which is true of course with any drug - if it doesn't help then don't take it.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
(female)

miraclegurl HB User

I have similar vision problems,problems focusing and cloudy vision also,and see sparks of light at times..I have neck issues, i have had neck surgey on c-7,i go back to my neurosurgeon soon ,for more test..He said vision problems are related to neck issues..When verterbraes come out of ailiment,they put pressure on arteries in neck which ,interfers with bloodflow to brain.And that can cause vision and hearing problems.To find out if this could be you problem, you have to have a c/t scan angiogram done of neck and brain,and it checks bloodflow in these arteries..This doctor has preformed neck surgery on me when my vision was horrible,one artery was around C-7 was having alot of pressure applied,left eye was horrible then now much better,after that surgery..Dont like idea of more surgery,but if helps improve vision,its worth it..I'm not saying you need surgery,but its worth getting checked out,it saved my life..A neurologist can order these test..good luck ,hope info helps..

Old 08-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
(female)

Kaybe HB User

Hey I know you posted this a while ago but I'm getting the exact same symptoms, really sore neck and that scary jumpy vision thing. Mine started just after I had my first panic attack and I think it's linked. I developed anxiety for a while and that was when my vision was really very odd but I'm pretty sure that it's caused my an excess of adrenalin in the body, causing the pupils to widen and let in too much light. Also an excess of adrenalin can put the vision into a state of overawareness which makes it jumpy. How's yours now has it gone? Did you have anxiety st the time? Let me know as it would be nice to try and understand it with someone who has experienced it too.

Closed Thread