It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

zipster HB User
sore skull.

I have just been feeling around the back of my head on the bones of my skull and they are really sore and tender at the base but only on one side.Its the side that my spines sore, could this all be connected?
But its the opposite side to my jaw problem.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: sore skull.

Yes it can be all related - the C1 (atlas) and C2 (axis) vertebrae are what your head sits on - they are the first 2 vertebrae and can be pushed out of alignment or rotated either through injury such as whiplash or by a a jaw slipping too far backward or over working muscles. The occiput sits above that and is connected to the sphenoid - so if the bite is changed due to malocclusion or poor dental work or by tm joint dysfuntion - the cranial bones can shift and therefore affect the c-spine. Of course once the c-spine is affected the lumbar region or lower spine is easliy impacted as a result.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

nell670 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
Yes it can be all related - the C1 (atlas) and C2 (axis) vertebrae are what your head sits on - they are the first 2 vertebrae and can be pushed out of alignment or rotated either through injury such as whiplash or by a a jaw slipping too far backward or over working muscles. The occiput sits above that and is connected to the sphenoid - so if the bite is changed due to malocclusion or poor dental work or by tm joint dysfuntion - the cranial bones can shift and therefore affect the c-spine. Of course once the c-spine is affected the lumbar region or lower spine is easliy impacted as a result.
Where are the C1 & C2 exactly located? are they in back of the neck?
so what happens once the bite is aligned with proper splints therapy, would your cranial bones shift back to how they were, or would it just move to a better position?
when I push the back of the neck bones with fingers, I hear bone noise in my HEAd...

Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes - they are located at the back of the neck right under the base of the head or hairline - you can search any spinal, skeletal, chiro, etc. web sites to see their exact position. Some dentists have told me they would realign themselves over time given proper dental treatment or splint therapy - others have suggested it is better to have them adjusted or corrected while undergoing either one to expedite recovery.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
(female)

nell670 HB User

what would be the fastest way to correct this?
My shoulders pop a lot, and I think it's because of the whole spines are rotating.
I've been to the chiropractor twice so far, but I'm not sure if he's doing the right thing.
he uses this drill-ish material that he puts in on my shoulder knots and the wing-shoulder area. he says something related to blood circulation/ pressure equalization or something.
but my whole body is getting affected..

Old 02-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are various types or forms of chiropractic treatment - some basically address the entire body and others focus on a particular area - their methods to do this varies as well with some using an activator - a hand held insturment which uses light to moderate force) and others using their hand ( the original form of chiropractic treatment) - well you get the idea - you may need to go from one type of chiro to another until you find one that can address your particular problem. Based on my experience thus far - a NUCCA chiro, atlas orthoganist or one that uses applied kinesiology (ICAK) tend to foucs more on cranio cervical problems and this lends itself more easily to treating patients with tmj. You may also find that after several months with one practitioner you no longer get or see the same positive improvements - this happens and shouldn't be deemed as failure of treatment - for me it just meant it was time to find another chiro to build on what the previous chiro was able to accomplish.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thelma-Louise For This Useful Post:
Molly Alex (05-16-2012)
Old 02-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
(female)

hapachik HB User

BTW, 8416370, I just wanted to let you know, since you are in WA, that I am seeing Dr. Yardley at Yardley Chiropractic in Kent. He practices NUCCA, and if you contact him via his website, he will give a discount on the initial exam. He charges $278.40 (I believe) - that covers the x-rays, and other testing, as well as his lecture about chiropractic care. The adjustments are $60 + $50 for xrays that they may need to take at periodic times. He's been in practice, and teaches, for over 30 years. He was confident that he can help alleviate my symptoms.

So far, I've had the testing and xrays done, as well as the lecture. I am going in on Monday to have my 1st adjustment, and find out what his course of action is. I'll let you know how it goes!

Have a nice weekend all!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I have the same problems you do, cranial and that and my one shoulder is cracking, my whole right side is tight. I had some Ncr treatments but the guy I seen I don't think is very exp. in it, so I'm going to see someone new that does it.

It has alot to doe with a balanced sphenoid, occiput, temporal bones, and a bad bite can really mess one up. I agree with everything Thelma and Louise said.

Regual chiro didn't help me much, but some of them do cranial work.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
(female)

hapachik HB User

I found a pretty informative website. I can't post the link to the website, but if you google Round Earth Publishing and click on the link that says Introduction to Head Pain - there is a lot of useful info on the various muscles in the head and neck and the areas that are affected.

I hope it helps some.

Closed Thread