It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

nikkikey HB User
Questions on Symptoms/treatment

1. What was the first noticeable symptom you had that made you start looking for treatment?

2. Did sitting/standing or laying down make things better, worse, the same?

3. Did you find if you "over did" it, such as not resting throughout the day, it exacerbated the symptoms?

4. I work in sales and do a lot of talking. I noticed that at times the more I talk the more aggravated it becomes. Did that happen with you?

5. With your swallowing problems, did you have a thump or click?

6. My messed up side seems to be my right side, which is where the pain is in the neck and jaw. But at times it shifts to the left side. Did this also happen?

7. With swallowing, mine started out as "clicking" at the top of the throat, and caused it to be sore and swollen. Then it felt like it went to the "adam's apple" Now the swallowing is all over the place. Sometimes it clicks, grinds or thumps on the left, middle, right, but it is constant.. I can also feel it down the middle about 2 inches down from my collarbone in my chest at times. Sometimes the swallowing I can feel it go right down my stm muscles. Can you relate? (this swallowing thing is driving me crazy so the more specific the better to try to help me understand this)

8. With the swallowing problems, did you have issues if you looked one way, you couldn't swallow at all? I have that, but sometimes it just happens where I try to swallow but it feels locked up and I have to move to get it to swallow, which then of course clicks. What about if you coughed, sneezed, or cleared your throat.

9. What other muscles in your body felt the effects? My right arm muscle hurts and I feel like I pulled a muscle. At times when I exhale and inhale, it's like I feel little spasms on my right side of my ribs. My right top chest muscles feel so tight and achy

10. My nose and ears sometimes pop or feel stuffy and at times ache/feel pressure. Did you ever get this?

11. Until you found treatment did you have any methods that got you temporary relief? ( I know you mentioned the drink here and there..LOL)

12. Did you find yourself rubbing or holding your neck/throat to get some relief? I find at times holding or massaging the area makes it so it doesn't thump at least once.

13. Did your jaw hurt at all, just click, both? Mine hurts at times, but feels more fatigued, but clicks constantly, when I yawn, talk at times, chew. Mine has now started clicking twice...once when I open, once when I close. It also is grinding it seems

14. Someone on here mentioned esophagus spasms from the jaw not being aligned. What happens with the spasms and what do you feel?

I look forward to your answers, but also any other symptoms you went through. I am very set on learning as much as I can, but I also like to know why and what happens... it helps me get a better understanding. Trust me, you won't bore me with details.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: Questions on Symptoms/treatment

NIkkey---Here's my answers to the questions about my specific tmd case...
1. Spasms during ortho. (braces) were the first symptom
2. Sitting, and being non-active makes things worse, even now
3. Yes, over doing it always makes things worse,,,even now..
4. Yes, when I wasn't in the proper orthodic,,,,talking was impossible at times, if I would talk on the phone for more than a half an hour, I was in trouble.
5. Not with swallowing, but I did have a click when turning my head from side to side...due to muscle restriction, and lack of good range of motion
6. Yes, the "good" joint always has to compensate to an extent,and over time, it will sustain damage just like the bad side, if left untreated..
7. My swallowing symptoms, to this day even with the proper orthodic,,(they are getting better though...) are occasional tight necktie feeling, and if I eat too fast, the food sometimes feels like it can get "stuck" and I have to swallow twice...IT's no where near how bad it was last summer though. I could barely swallow...and I literally felt like I was drowning...or being choked 24/7...also, throat pain accompanied this.
8. Yes, if I turned my head all the way to the side, right or left, I couldn't swallow back then...it has gotten better..Clearing my throat excessively will do this day sometimes cause throat pain....but it goes away..
9. What muscles DIDN"T feel sore all the time...every muscle in my upper back, neck and jaw/head were in full spasms.....it was excrutiating, and unbearable for about 7 mo straight...don't know how I managed to live through it quite frankly...When I got my new orthodic....my pain levels slowly went down, from a suicidal pain level, (i call it..) to about a 5 or 6 daily!! yay!!
10. I have problems with sinus stuff mainly because I have a deviated right septum...and especially when I'm sick...the tmj stuff is much worse...the muscular pain will come back to an extent for a short period...I do have a tens unit, that's saved my life several times....
11. When the swallowing stuff was unbearable , yes, I would have a drink...I do not advocate drinking at all!! just want to make that clear, but duriing those times I had to limit stress, I took hot showers, and got the hand held shower head and kept it on my neck, throat, to try and loosen the muscles...but you see, nothing really worked til I got into treatment. If you're jaw is in the incorrect position, it's hard to just try and put a band-aid on something like that...I never really got major relief til then.
12 OH, LORd yes,,,,I would constantly be rubbing my neck, jaw, face, upper back....massage works wonders...especially if you can get to a massotherapist who specializes in tmd treatments, and understands what we go through...
13 Oh, man, my jaw did everything...click, pop, muscular spasms all the time,,,grating...that's pretty advanced...that means that the disc has almost totally displaced...that's where I'm at now because of failed treatment from my last dentist...but since my jaw has been repositioned, 75% of it has gone away..I'm a long standing tmd case though...20yrs.
14. That was me,,,with the esophageal spasms...It's what you are feeling now Nikkey...with the swallowing difficulties, and the choking sensations...it obviously can change the severity of the spasms from day to day, but like I said, at my worst point, I could barely swallow...that went away pretty quickly when I got into treatment..now it's managable..
Hope that helps......you can post more if you want...take care, Jill

Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

nikkikey HB User

What causes the thump, click and/or grind when swallowing? I know a few people have put that on their posts. Is that muscles causing that or is it vertebrae rubbing? Just didn't know if you had found that out in your expertise and research.

When you went to Dr. Insolera did he understand your symptoms as something he sees often? and is he knowledgable on the severe ends of TMJ? I am just asking because I have seen some TMJ dentists websites where all the talk about is pain and popping.

You mentioned talking was difficult at times. Was that the pain or was it laryngitis? At first I found that talking was difficult because I had to "swallow the golf ball in my throat" to finish my sentence. That golf ball feeling is pretty much gone now. When I talk it's also like I can feel the vibrations of me talking all the way down the tight muscles..hard to describe, but if you had that feeling you know what I mean.

I also had a sore swollen throat at first, but that went away as well. Now from time to time, the roof of my mouth will hurt. it's bizarre. It feels like when I swallow the muscles are hitting the roof of my mouth. I know, doesnt make sense, but again unless you experience it, you won't understand.

I did feel like I was gagging and choking quite a bit when this all started, but that has gone away for the most part. From time to time i feel like someone is pushing on my neck and I am choking, but that feeling is right at the base of that tight muscle.

Here's what I think has happened. I was in a severe accident 10 years ago and have permanent debilatating neck injuries. my head literally sits on my head crooked. Over time, the left side is the side that my head is tilted to, so the right side (the messed up side) is the one that has had to do all the work and take all the strain. I think people with TMJ that have had trauma (whiplash) probably get more of the throat and neck issues with TMJ since their neck muscles are already strained and damaged, making them more susceptible to the severe end of the spectrum.

Thanks again for your time in answering!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Hi nikkey...yes, it's the muscle problems that are causing that click...it's not the compression of the vertebrae,,that causes dizziness, and also muscle imbalance. Yes, my doctor has treated TMD for a long time...I think well over 20yrs..He has had many extreme cases , including mine. I'm a whiplash trauma case, with underlying issues such as bad ortho. done on me, bad splints, many surgeries, including tonsillectomy, which aggrevated my tmd. So, my case is a multi-layered TMD case.
The talking difficulty was from muscular pain, and some joint pain on the left...
Yes, the golf ball feeling I had too...while talking. THat has gotten better. It was really bad, especially if I had added stress in my life. My upper palate is very narrow, due to what my ortho. did to me 20 yrs. ago. He also pulled my maxilla way too far down...I'm a mess actually. If you feel that your tongue doesn't have enough room to function, you may need expansion as well in phase 2, after the orthodic has done it's job..
My head also sits very crooked on my body as well,,,LOL...we are very similar in some aspects...My mandible is tilted one way, my atlas is tilted the other, and my skull is also tilted off kilter. I call myself the house that Jack built...lol. This has to be addressed by a chiro soon....I'm still mulling over who to see about that...
. Take care, J.

Last edited by Jill 227; 04-05-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
(female)

nikkikey HB User
Angry Re: Questions on Symptoms/treatment

Is it the muscles contracting and trying to adjust that cause the clicking or thumping? It is constant and ALL over the place. Left, right, top, bottom, middle, at times about 2 inches down from the collarbone in the center of my chest. Will muscles really do that? I am really trying to understand all this and am very inqusitive (as you can see)

Yes sounds like we are alike in some aspects. My head is crooked to the left.

I just got done trying to eat dinner...UGH, that gets to be so frustrating. it's bad enough I have swallowing issues with my own saliva and liquids, but then trying to gulp down dinner.. I did find eating standing up was a tiny bit easier.

I am miserable!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
(female)

nikkikey HB User

I got a hold of Dr Insolera. I called and left a message and by golly he got right back to me within 20 minutes. I felt really comfortable with him and he really took the time to understand everything and answer his questions. He also told me about his face book page, so I have gone on there as well

Thanks again and I am sure I will have more questions

Nikki Key

Last edited by nikkikey; 04-06-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI---No problem!! hang in there...

Old 04-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
(female)

hapachik HB User

Hi Nikkey...I have a lot of the same problems as you do. So here are some of my answers to your questions. I hope it helps a bit.

1. What was the first noticeable symptom you had that made you start looking for treatment? For me, it was the dizziness, brought on by neck spasms, and even just moving my jaw in certain positions would bring on a dizzy spell or a strange "twinge" from my jaw to the back of my head.

2. Did sitting/standing or laying down make things better, worse, the same?
Depends... sitting would aggravate it, particularly while at work being on the computer all day. Laying down helped. Standing up was a hit/miss.

3. Did you find if you "over did" it, such as not resting throughout the day, it exacerbated the symptoms? Yes! Do not over do it, stress will exacerbate symptoms.

4. I work in sales and do a lot of talking. I noticed that at times the more I talk the more aggravated it becomes. Did that happen with you? Talking yes - I used to be a Call-Center rep, and it was torture!

5. With your swallowing problems, did you have a thump or click? Not constantly on swallowing, however I know exactly what you are talking about. There is a muscle in the middle of my neck that will "pop / thump" when I move my neck to one side. It's bizarre - you can literally see it.

6. My messed up side seems to be my right side, which is where the pain is in the neck and jaw. But at times it shifts to the left side. Did this also happen? For years it was just my right side too, but yes, it can affect both.

7. With swallowing, mine started out as "clicking" at the top of the throat, and caused it to be sore and swollen. Then it felt like it went to the "adam's apple" Now the swallowing is all over the place. Sometimes it clicks, grinds or thumps on the left, middle, right, but it is constant.. I can also feel it down the middle about 2 inches down from my collarbone in my chest at times. Sometimes the swallowing I can feel it go right down my stm muscles. Can you relate? (this swallowing thing is driving me crazy so the more specific the better to try to help me understand this) I have muscle knots - literally little balls that you can feel along the muscle that goes from the very bottom of the jaw where it meets the neck, and down the neck, all in a line along this particular muscle. I didn't really have the severe swallowing problems, but on occasion it would be hard to swallow, where I just couldn't! But, it is all connected to the jaw.

8. With the swallowing problems, did you have issues if you looked one way, you couldn't swallow at all? I have that, but sometimes it just happens where I try to swallow but it feels locked up and I have to move to get it to swallow, which then of course clicks. What about if you coughed, sneezed, or cleared your throat. It's hard to say exactly what caused the swallowing problems, but yes on occasion it was very hard to swallow to the point of where I just couldn't, and would have to change my position to swallow.

9. What other muscles in your body felt the effects? My right arm muscle hurts and I feel like I pulled a muscle. At times when I exhale and inhale, it's like I feel little spasms on my right side of my ribs. My right top chest muscles feel so tight and achy. I think all of the muscles in my neck, shoulder and upper back were in constant spasm. Particularly the SCM, and the trapezius. Also, my shoulder clicks when rotated, and the muscles pop. It isn't nearly as bad as it was with the orthotic in. Sometimes, I would feel like my legs weren't as strong when the dizziness would come on, and I felt kinda twisted.

10. My nose and ears sometimes pop or feel stuffy and at times ache/feel pressure. Did you ever get this? Yes! It was horrible. Since I have problems on the right side, my right ear wouldn't pop when on a plane, particularly on the descent. Going up wasn't so bad though. When I went to fly down to see Dr. Rojas in CA, I had horrible ear pressure, however coming back on the plane going home, having the orthotic in, my ears did not have pressure and popped naturally on their own!!

11. Until you found treatment did you have any methods that got you temporary relief? ( I know you mentioned the drink here and there..LOL) Yes, it helped! LOL!!! But, magnesium pills helped a bit, and dropping the jaw, where I would put my tongue to the roof of my mouth and let my jaw kinda hang there. It helped a bit, but at the very beginning, my muscles were so taut that it wasn't particularly relieving.

12. Did you find yourself rubbing or holding your neck/throat to get some relief? I find at times holding or massaging the area makes it so it doesn't thump at least once. I totally did! I would find myself touching my knotty neck! I would rub the knots on my neck, but sometimes just pressing on them would give me a dizzy spell.

13. Did your jaw hurt at all, just click, both? Mine hurts at times, but feels more fatigued, but clicks constantly, when I yawn, talk at times, chew. Mine has now started clicking twice...once when I open, once when I close. It also is grinding it seems. My jaw wasn't particularly sore - the muscles were just in spasm, but not a constant "sore". I could literally feel my jaw click when I stuck my fingers in my ear and opened and closed my mouth. Now that I have the orthotic in, I can't feel the clicking when I stick my fingers in my ears. If I yawn really big, I do get a click, though.

14. Someone on here mentioned esophagus spasms from the jaw not being aligned. What happens with the spasms and what do you feel? I am not sure about the esophagus spasms, but almost all of my neck muscles were in chronic spasm. My neurologist thought I had cervical torticollis, even though I could turn my head, and move my neck, but on the right side it wasn't as large of a range.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
(female)

nikkikey HB User

Hapachik thank you for taking the time to respond and answer my questions. It just amazes me that TMJ can cause all this! I don't get too much pain in my jaw....until the evening it seems, after talking and chewing. Then I get some pain and fatigue. Then the headaches. Just a mess!!

Sitting aggravates mine more too. Anyone know why? I actually stand to eat most days.

I am on the path to finding some help and hopefully some relief.

TMJ is a PAIN IN THE NECK (yes pun intended)

Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I'm still fairly new to the TMJ thing. Still in the diagnosis stage and moving towards treatment.

1. What was the first noticeable symptom you had that made you start looking for treatment? My right ear hasn't popped and has been congested for 14 months now. I started at my PCP, went to two ENT's and two Audiologists. Aside from some hearing issues, they couldn't find anything physically wrong with my ear. I found something on the internet that lead me to ask my dentist and a TMJ referral.

2. Did sitting/standing or laying down make things better, worse, the same? It is typically the same for me, but my ear pain can get really bad at night making it hard to sleep.

3. Did you find if you "over did" it, such as not resting throughout the day, it exacerbated the symptoms? At times. It is usually the muscle tightness and spasms that I notice at those times.

4. I work in sales and do a lot of talking. I noticed that at times the more I talk the more aggravated it becomes. Did that happen with you? Thankfully not yet.

5. With your swallowing problems, did you have a thump or click? No TMJ swallowing problems, but I do have laryngoesophageal reflux that affects my throat.

6. My messed up side seems to be my right side, which is where the pain is in the neck and jaw. But at times it shifts to the left side. Did this also happen? My right side is worse, but I do have some problems with the left sometimes. Honestly, as I've gone through the PT for this, I have come to realize that I have constant muscle pain in my jaw/ear, neck, shoulder and back that has become "normal" for me so I don't think I know what pain free is anymore. Because of this, I don't always realize when the pain is worse until it is so intense it interferes with my functioning. Not sure that makes sense, but I really notice when they work those muscles how much it actually does hurt.

7. With swallowing, mine started out as "clicking" at the top of the throat, and caused it to be sore and swollen. Then it felt like it went to the "adam's apple" Now the swallowing is all over the place. Sometimes it clicks, grinds or thumps on the left, middle, right, but it is constant.. I can also feel it down the middle about 2 inches down from my collarbone in my chest at times. Sometimes the swallowing I can feel it go right down my stm muscles. Can you relate? (this swallowing thing is driving me crazy so the more specific the better to try to help me understand this) I don't have that kind of clicking, but when my PT works my shoulder and neck, it doesn't always "take". We finally came to realize that my first rib is out of wack. When it is adjusted it makes a major difference. The area you describe near your collarbone sounds like it is where the first rib is.

8. With the swallowing problems, did you have issues if you looked one way, you couldn't swallow at all? I have that, but sometimes it just happens where I try to swallow but it feels locked up and I have to move to get it to swallow, which then of course clicks. What about if you coughed, sneezed, or cleared your throat. I don't have this particular problem.

9. What other muscles in your body felt the effects? My right arm muscle hurts and I feel like I pulled a muscle. At times when I exhale and inhale, it's like I feel little spasms on my right side of my ribs. My right top chest muscles feel so tight and achy I have major problems with my right shoulder and some with my left. I also have cervicalgia and myofacial pain. They affect my neck, upper back, shoulder, jaw and ear areas. I also have had some hip problems for about 7 months. Turns out that my hips are misaligned and that can affect the jaw as well.

10. My nose and ears sometimes pop or feel stuffy and at times ache/feel pressure. Did you ever get this? I have allergies/sinus problems and attribute the stuffy nose to that. As I said above, my right ear hasn't popped since March of last year. I sometimes get really really bad ear pain that feels like a bad ear infection. It is the muscles around my jaw/ear that are spasming badly. I really hate when that happens. I end up on muscle relaxers or anti-depressents occasionally to help with that when it becomes too unbearable.

11. Until you found treatment did you have any methods that got you temporary relief? ( I know you mentioned the drink here and there..LOL) PT helped because they did trigger point releases. I try to do them on myself to help some. I can provide more information on that if you like. I also get some relief with heat.

12. Did you find yourself rubbing or holding your neck/throat to get some relief? I find at times holding or massaging the area makes it so it doesn't thump at least once. All the time. Massaging and trigger point pressure help some for my masseter and pterygoid areas. My muscles are so tight and knotted in the neck, shoulder and back that even after a long massage I don't see much difference. (Wish I had $ to get massages a couple times a week for a while.)

13. Did your jaw hurt at all, just click, both? Mine hurts at times, but feels more fatigued, but clicks constantly, when I yawn, talk at times, chew. Mine has now started clicking twice...once when I open, once when I close. It also is grinding it seems Actually, my jaw doesn't hurt a lot. The muscles around it do hurt though. I pop/click when I open wider.

14. Someone on here mentioned esophagus spasms from the jaw not being aligned. What happens with the spasms and what do you feel? Can't help you there.

Closed Thread