It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 AM   #76
(female)

violet89 HB User
Re: Arthroscopy procedure PLEASE HELP!

I am starting to reevaluate my situation- I have been so anti-surgery the last 2 years regarding my closed lock....but I have started to notice that I am one of the only closed lock patients STILL in a lock on these boards...there are no re-occuring posts from others who have have sudden-onset closed lock. Unfortunately those who have said that they have a closed lock, do only a couple of posts about their condition and then never return.
I saw a few neuromuscular dentists and they have said that my case cannot be helped unless I have either arthrocentises (which is only helpful for initial locks) or arthroscopy. This makes sense as I have Displaced discs WITHOUT reduction, meaning they NEVER have moved back to their correct position for 2 years.
One neuromuscular dentists (trained at LVI) suggested that the discs could be recaptured, but how??? If the disc is literally stuck to the fossa (due to adhesions, debris,thickened fluid), how can a splint that pulls the jaw down and forward do anything when the environment within the joint wont allow the disc to move?
I am at the stage where it would be difficult for a splint to be made at a 1cm opening, so I'm thinking I literally have no choice but to do surgical.
Im thinking at this stage an arthroscopy would be preferrable as I have been locked so long and it would be better for the surgeon to see inside the joint & not only flush it out, but also remove adhesions etc. Arthrocentises from what i understand is best used for locks that have just happened, where 'flushing' lubricant would be enough to get the jaw moving again.
I know the surgery alone wont be the solution, im hoping if i can get my jaw moving again after the arthroscopy I can then consult a neuromuscular dentist to help me with my bruxism/sleep apnea & look into the position of my jaw so hopefully this closed lock doesnt happen again.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread