It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

mmKay HB User
over-the-counter mouth guard??

I clench my teeth when I sleep but lately I've been doing it even when I take like 10 minute naps.

I looked into different ones before I decided to buy this particular one. I read a bunch of reviews about it and everyone seemed to be satisfied with it, most said it was as good as the ones bought at the dentist. It's one of the ones you boil and then mold to your teeth.

I got it in the mail today and it says this on the package (among other things)

Do not use if:
"you have TMJ"
"have any jaw pain, or pain with bruxing"

Isn't that the whole point of the product?
Should I go ahead and use it anyway? Has anyone used an over-the-counter one?
I'm paying my own way through college and don't have dental insurance.. so going to the dentist is not an option, at all. [My ENT told me I have TMJ]

Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

TMDlaura HB User
Re: over-the-counter mouth guard??

When I didn't have insurance and had to use an over the counter one, I used Sleep Right. Because of my limited opening, I used the one for small sensitive mouths. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Over the counter mouth guards should never be used long term. They are good for emergency situations, but they will only protect the teeth from grinding a bit. If you have joint damage, or problems with a disc....they could aggrivate the situation. Just be careful using it, and if it makes things worse, pitch it..

Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
(female)

mylighthouse HB User

Yes, it's strange that it says not to be used for TMJ.

My ENT is the one who told me to grab the over-the-counter one, because at the time, I had no insurance and couldn't afford the expensive custom made one. I was diagnosed with TMS several years ago and that's what he said to use! So I did use it for quite awhile and it worked great for me. Had been grinding teeth since I was about 4 years old. The only reason I even went to the mouthpiece was because I had a lot of problems with my jaw locking up on me and popping and I afraid it would pop out of socket.

So I say try it, but like someone suggested, if you notice new symptoms or problems, discontinue.

I hope it helps, grinding teeth can suck and lead to migraines, disalignment of the jaws, etc.

Last edited by mylighthouse; 04-28-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Closed Thread