It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
(male)

sombodyelse HB User
Thumbs down Worried, please advise

Hi,

Here is what happened, these last few weeks I have been worrying a GREAT deal, I had some symptoms and had to have some tests and results, I was 100% convinced I had something very very serious, and it all took a long time, my tests came back OK, although I am still waiting on a couple more atm.

Anyway, I went out for a run, came back, made a sandwich and the right side of my jaw was sore, like REALLY sore, I managed just about to finish my sandwich, but for the next TWO days, I could not put my back teeth together, on my right side, and it was very tender to the touch right under my right temple, and jst in front of my ear, and also jst infront of my ear a bit lower down.

I am now able to close my teeth together without much pain, but I have only been eating soft foods, it has been over a week and it is still tender to the touch jst under my temple and back a bit, not quite as tender as it was, but, its still there, and when I went running, I could HEAR something whooshing in my ear everytime my heart would beat, almost like, a valve whooshing with each blood flow, I have also been getting some mild intermitent ear ache/irritation, and it feels a bit itchy/iritated deep in my right ear, yet the docter when I went, says my ear is fine.

I am worrying myself sick that I have some sort of oral cancer or tumor on the right side of my head, if it was my JAW, like lower down I would think OK maybe the stress and a big sandwich strained my jaw a bit but, its SO HIGH UP, its like, jst under my temple and BACK, kinda hard to describe, but I keep getting some intermitant tenderness like under my cheek bone also, nothing is severe but its there and its worrying.

I know TMJ can cause SIMILAR symptoms but, I normaly do not have ANY symptoms.

I am really worrying myself sick.

EDIT: I have just been out running again, this is the second time I have had no whooshing in my right ear, but it has been replaced by a sort of, intermitant headache type ache, on the right side of my head, kinda around my temple and ear area.

Last edited by sombodyelse; 06-26-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: Worried, please advise

Hi-----Don't stress too much about it....IMO, what you are experiencing may be temporal tendonitis....which basically means that you have spasms and trigger points within your temporal muscles, and maybe the masseter, and SCM muscles as well. Have you been under a lot of stress? or do you clench your teeth at night? If I were you, I would seek out a licensed massotherapist who knows about Janet Trevells' work, and Clair Davies book the Trigger Point therapy workbook.....its' all about dealing with myofascial pain, and trigger point self care.....You can find a good massotherapist who understands this under the National Association of myofascial Trigger Point therapists......Your problems may be as simple as deactivating some trigger points....and then you will be good to go. I highly recommend the workbook...for anyone out there with myofascial pain., and spasms associated with TMJD. Take care!! J.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
(male)

sombodyelse HB User

Thanks a great deal for your reply.

Yeah I have these last 4 weeks been REALLY worrying 70% of my awake time, the other 30% of the time feeling like there is a black cloud over me whenever I try and do anything I like, as it is always in the back of my mind so never truly relaxed, I have been unable to switch off, I have also suffered with headaches for years, like 3 a week, dibilitating ones, I am quite a tense anxious person.

Do I clench my jaw? I am quite tense I am unsure if I clench my jaw, its very possible my jaw is more tense than normal these last few weeks, maybe in my sleep also, I have had a few bad dreams leaving me tense on waking in the night, I have also been waking in the night very stressed and worried.

Even when having a nap during the day, I have woke up scared out my mind.

When I received my test results regarding my other problems, and the doctor reasured me I was OK, I had a fantastic night, felt better than I had in weeks, had a beer, and a pizza, and some chocolate! next morning, went out running, was very happy, then, I came back and ate a sandwich, and the right side of my jaw was SORE, and now, the worrying has started all over again, I am convinced I have oral cancer.

See, for YEARS I have been unable to breath through my nose at night, (or day mostly) so I sleep with my mouth open, I am always awake in the night chewing toothpaste and washing my mouth out, due to a dry mouth, filled with crap, and also some blood, which we always assumed was bleeding gums or gingivitis or something, I mean, its been going on for many years, so, I am SIMPLY USED to spitting out blood after brushing my teeth and during the night, I would simply not think anything of it.

But now, with a stiff jaw, some mild ear ache, and spitting blood out my mouth night after night, I am starting to think, oh...

Doctor did have a look in my ear, & BRIEF look in my mouth with a light, and said it looked fine but, she was not very thorough she simply commented on my nice teeth... (I have no fillings at age 35)

Last edited by sombodyelse; 06-26-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Here's something I can for sure tell you....When you breath out of the nose at night, it puts extreme tension in the muscles of the jaw., specifically the masseter muscle. It also lets the trigger points develop easily....If I were you, first get an oral cancer screening, then find a massotherapist the way I stated in my last post....I dont' think you need to jump into tmd treatment yet...I actually had a lot of blood after I brushed at one point from grinding my teeth at night....Also, please try to do something to relax yourself---other than getting a massage, you need to address the constant tension and anxiety you have...Try meditation CD's, anything to get your mind to calm down and stop over working itself...You may need to get some sort of nightguard at some point if you still clench, but IMO, start slow with investigating all this.

Closed Thread