It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
(female)

tatsu15 HB User
can tmj cause a pinched nerve in neck?

My tmj is getting worse and on top of that I think I have a pinched nerve in my neck... not sure if it's all related and I'm getting frustrated. Today, I just noticed that sometimes while eating I can completely hear crackling/bone noise... what is that? Is it crepitus?? I'm afraid my jaw is falling apart. And then to make things worse, while eating, sometimes the top of my head will feel like it's getting tight and I'm getting these weird sensations around my lower jaw.

Last edited by tatsu15; 08-06-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: can tmj cause a pinched nerve in neck?

I had a pretty bad pinched nerve in my neck....before entering into treatment for my jaw. I see a neuromuscular dentist for the jaw, and a craniosacral therapist, and A/O chiro. for spinal misalignments. My atlas was definitely rotated, and my upper cervical area needed much work. I also have some forward head posture from TMD, that I am trying to clean up through PT. I have found that choosing the correct "team" of doctors/therapists is 100% of the battle against TMD. They all have to also understand how TMD can affect the whole body....NOT just the jaw/face. To say that hip and feet problems are not related to TMD...is like saying that your head is not connected onto the body....makes me nuts. It's ALL connected..and needs to be addressed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: can tmj cause a pinched nerve in neck?

It is all connected. At the same time I was diagnosed with TMJD, I was also diagnosed with Cervicalgia and Myofacial pain. They often go hand-in-hand. I was referred to a specially trained PT for treatment immediately on my neck and face. Jill has given you good advice very similar to my own experiences. I hadn't realized how horribly bad my neck was because I'd had had my problems for so long that it was my "normal". As I've gone through treatment, I really notice a difference. Working those neck muscles and on neck alignment has really made all the difference in the world.

You might want to research cervicalgia and myofacial pain to see if it matches your symptoms.

Closed Thread