It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2001, 07:56 AM   #1

GraceP HB User
TMJ Bone Spurs

Hi:

I have been a TMJ suffer for 17 years. I have had six different surgeries. I originally had a displaced disc but it was mistreated for 3 years and both my left and right joints. I no longer have any cartilage on either side, have had the disc put back in place and scar tissue removed. I also have worn a hard splint, soft splint and braces. I have tried steriod injections and muscle relaxers. I also still suffer from muscle spasms on a regular basis.

In December 2000, I dislocated my jaw by eating a carrot. MRI discovered the dislocation and a bone spur on my left side and also a bone spur on the right side. They believe the bone spur caused the dislocation. When I had my surgery, the surgeron discribed my joint as looking like a cobblestone road because of the numerous bone spurs. (I only had surgery on the left side). I came to the conclusion a long time ago that my jaw will never be the same.

I was wondering if anyone else has had experienced bone spurs and if they were reoccuring or if they is anything other than surgery that would help?

GraceP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2001, 01:12 PM   #2

MissiM HB User
Re: TMJ Bone Spurs

Hi Grace,
I am a TMJD sufferer. Although I do not have a bone spur on my jaw I do have a very large one in my lower back. What I have been told is a bone spur is the bodys natural defense when a bone is damaged. The body grows these spurs to try and protect the damaged bone, if the bone is constantly damaged then the body will continually grow these spurs. The spurs are suppose to stop the movement of the bone/joint wherever the damage is so not to create anymore damage. Unfortunatly this defense does not work. As far as I have been told the only thing to do is surgically remove the spur. There is no other treatment to remove it or shrink it ( if anyone out there knows differently please let us know). I was told that Lazer surgery could take the spur off, with little scar tissue but it will only grow back if the bone is not fixed.
I do have bone damage in my jaw both R&L and I am curious to see if spurs start growing there to.

Good luck to you-let us know how you are doing

God Bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2001, 11:03 PM   #3

JimS HB User

I have been told thatI have something similar to a spur in my right joint. The Dr says that this is what is causing a very loud 'click' (sounds more like a 'thud' from the inside. His analogy of it is like a speed bump in a car park. Each time my jaw opens and closes, everyone gets to hear it. And like a cars suspension, it will eventually wear out and cause problems.

I've started the process to have it removed as everyone believes that it is contributing to the headaches etc.

As to other spur's. About four years ago I had large spurs removed from both heels. Got to a stage that I couldn't wear footwear. I believe that they were a legacy from a severe car accident in 1988.

Old 08-09-2001, 05:30 AM   #4
Inactive

Elaine HB User

Grace,
My original surgery was for a displaced disc too. The third surgery my OS said that there was so much arthritis and adhesions that it looked like I had the jaw of a 90 year old man,(whatever that looks like) He scraped and cleaned as much as he could then put in a metal implant as there was no disc left. Now the implant is deteriorating the condyle and needs to be removed as the screws have come loose. Once you have surgery, your jaw will never be the same, that is for sure. In my case, things have only gotten worse.
Beware of the oral surgeons who have all the answers, I know what they have done to me. They keep saying more surgery when the truth of the matter is, more money and more pain!!!!
Take care,
Elaine

Closed Thread