It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2002, 06:18 PM   #1
Inactive

Nicole23 HB User
Anybody have success on open joint surgery of the TMJ?

Did anybody have succes on the open joint surgery of the TMJ. Are you back to normal? Can you eat normal food? Did you have arthritis? Please advise.

Old 01-14-2002, 05:36 PM   #2
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Re: Anybody have success on open joint surgery of the TMJ?

Nicole,
I have had three open joint surgeries,(so far) for a displaced disc. No sense writing what I have already written about the surgeries as you can read my other posts. No, I am not back to normal nor will I ever be. I have osteo-arthritis in the joint, can't eat solid food as I get puking migraines from chewing. My opening is 13mm or maybe even a little less now due to scar tissue. If you aren't locked, I suggest leave well enough alone. Surgery does not cure pain, don't let anybody convince you it will. The honeymoon period lasts about a year than the pain comes back with a vengence and you agree to more surgery for relief. Don't get caught up in this surgery mess, it is not the answer.
Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2002, 10:42 PM   #3
Inactive

Nicole23 HB User
Attention Elaine

Elaine Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to take everything into consideration before making any decision. I spoke to another Oral Surgeon before I saw him and he said that he wanted to try everything conservative first and he didn't want to do surgery until it was absolutely necessary. He said he wanted to try Arthrocentesis, maybe, but he does need to see me first. He did warn me about the scar tissue, but he said that this wasn't as big a deal as the disk being displaced. (If I understood him correctly). The Oral surgeon that was going to a Disectomy siad that if I needed the disk replaced he would do it with my own ear cartilage, but people have warned me about this to. I would like to be put of this painful rut! Please advise.

Old 01-16-2002, 12:12 PM   #4
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Re: Attention Elaine

Nicole,
Any kind of surgery you are going to develop scar tissue, that is just the way it is. Some people develop more than others, same with back surgery. When you have tmj surgery, they cut ligaments, muscle, etc. That is when you have relief. When these start to grow back and develop scar tissue that is when you find out what "hell" is like. You can live with the displaced disc, don't let any doctor tell you that you can't. Sure they are going to tell you that you need surgery because that is how they make their money. Whether they replace your disc with ear cartilage or whether they do a muscle flap, it makes no difference. You will sooner or later develop scar tissue and that will mean more surgery. Be sure to ask about scar tissue and how would they deal with that???? I don't want to preach to you, nor is that my intention. I just hate to see anyone go through what I have. If you find a oral surgeon that says surgery is not the answer, that one is being honest, the rest need a vacation at your expense!!!!!
Elaine
PS. Where do you live???<p>[This message has been edited by Elaine (edited 01-16-2002).]

Old 01-16-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
Inactive

Nicole23 HB User

Elaine, I live in Los Angeles, and I am going to go to the Oral Surgeon tomorrow, who (I told you about before) snd who I spoke to over the phone and said that he would like to do everything but surgery, initially. (He does have to see me first) He did warn me about the scar tissue, but he did say that it could be taken care of. These ear problems are driving me crazy. <p>[This message has been edited by Nicole23 (edited 01-16-2002).]

Old 01-18-2002, 07:29 AM   #6
Inactive

Elaine HB User

Nicole,
Yep, scar tissue can be taken care of by more surgery.
At least he is honest in telling you it can be taken care of. Ask him how many surgeries and how often?
Run while there is still time.
Elaine

Closed Thread