It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2002, 11:02 AM   #1

BY-TOR HB User
Magnesium for teeth grinding

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had success with magnesium or pantothenic acid or a combo for bruxism and if so how many mg.

Old 07-25-2002, 05:47 PM   #2

gshoemate HB User
Re: Magnesium for teeth grinding

I was told to take 500mg a day for my headaches but have never heard of it being used for the grinding. It works as a muscle relaxer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran

Marlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB User

Hi BY-TOR,

In order to maintain optimal functioning of muscle tissue, several minerals are especially important. They are calcium, potassium, iron, and magnesium. Magnesium plays an essential role in the ability of individual muscle fibers to contract. The recommended daily allowance for magnesium is 350 milligrams per day for adult men and 300 milligrams per day for adult women. An important possibility to be aware of is that magnesium toxicity can occur in people who constantly take antacids or laxatives containing magnesium.

Hope this helps!
Marlene

Old 07-28-2002, 09:31 AM   #4

BY-TOR HB User

Thanx-I'll give it a try.

Old 07-28-2002, 12:41 PM   #5
(female)

Sapphie HB User

B5 (pantothenic acid) for grinding? Where did you hear about that?

Thanks!

-Sapphie

Old 07-29-2002, 04:00 AM   #6

BY-TOR HB User

I saw a study online where 10 people with a long history of bruxism was given a combo of B5, calcium and magnesium for 6 months and all had reported the bruxism had stopped. I can't find the web page now and I can't remember the dosage.

Old 07-29-2002, 03:17 PM   #7
(female)

Sapphie HB User

BY-TOR,

Can't find the page? Some help you are!! Just kidding...I did a search, and read similar things. Thank you so much!! B5 seems to be a wonder vitamin...I have already been recommended it for other problems as well. I best be running out and buying me some!!

Thanks again!

-Sapphie

Old 07-31-2002, 07:21 AM   #8

simmie HB User

By-Tor,

Heh. Love the name, just got the joke...! Anyhow, I've read that same page, I think it was from Dr. Michael Goldman in Maryland....It was a pretty large dosage of B6 (Pantothenic Acid), maybe 100-200 mg or so. Many multis have about 50 mg in them, but I had to search and search to find one with more. Had best results at the natural foods store with Vegetarian vitamins.

I've tried upping my magnesium/calcium/iron/B6 dosage lately because of that page, and actually found I am clenching/grinding less. It's probably a matter of working out the best dosage for each individual. Further, I've found better results from taking some of the supps right before bedtime. I also went out and bought a very supportive pillow that basically keeps me from sleeping on my side, which aggrevates my bruxism.

Good luck--
Sim

Old 08-01-2002, 05:09 AM   #9

BY-TOR HB User

Simmie, glad to hear you're getting results from the supplement combo. I take a multi and a B-100 before bed but have yet to add the magnesium because I'm not sure how much to take. I guess I'll start with 100% and take it from there.How long before you noticed improvement? Please keep me posted on this. I have to stop clenching. Thanx-
By-Tor.

Old 08-01-2002, 09:28 AM   #10

simmie HB User

By-Tor,

I went and checked into what exact dosage my supps are. For me, the big big difference was when I added a separate Pantothenic acid supp, it's a 500 mg. pill I take once a day. But, I also noticed a difference just from upping my calcium (calcium citrate with magnesium combo) to 200 mg. over the recommended adult dosage. So I get about 1200-1400 mg. calcium a day and about 300 mg. magnesium now, depending on the food I'm eating each day. I figure you're not absorbing all of what you eat or supplement with anyhow, so a little more is okay (although not too much.) I started with a bit more magnesium, but it's okay at this level. It took about two weeks before I really could tell that there was a definite difference, but I can tell now if I don't take supps, it's a night-and-day kind of thing for me.

Good luck!

Sim

Old 08-01-2002, 03:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

I just wanted to add on this thread if I may.

There is a really good article about magnessium citrate on the boards.

Go to the thyroid dysfunction board.
Then find the post called "Information archive"
Go to page 2 and scroll down till you find the post about Magnessium (the water soluble kind). Diana

Closed Thread