It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

cath s HB User
tensor veli palatini muscle

"It's often difficult to understand how such symptoms as ringing or buzzing in the ears, earaches, altered hearing, or even vertigo can be connected to a muscle-spasm problem originating with the teeth. The connection is a small muscle calle...d the tensor veli palatini.

The Tensor veli palatini has a number of functions, including involvement in the closing of the eustachian tubes. This tube connects the throat to the middle ear and keeps the air pressure in the middle ear the same as that of the outside atmosphere. Normally this happens without our knowing it, but in certain cases...this change is noticeable.

The Tensor veli palatini is supplied with nerve signals from a branch of the same nerve that supplies the external pterygoid muscle. When the Lateral pterygoids are in spasm, the Tensor veli palatini also can go into spasm because the nerve stimuli go to both muscles.

When this tiny muscle goes into spasm, it closes off the eustachian tube and produces symptoms that mimic middle-ear problems. A patient may see a physician about changes in hearing, earaches, buzzing, ringing, or dizziness. The patient may have no signs of infection or a cold, and when the problem is not resolved...allergies are often suspected."

I have copied this off a posting from another member back in 2003 - I think.

Anyways - does anyone know of ways to help 'calm' this muscle?
I think it is pretty hard to get to... its right at the back of the throat? Not 100% sure of that.
Has anybody had any success in myofascial release with this muscle. Or alternatively - what about if you worked on the lateral pterygoid, would that help this muscle.
what do you think?
any advice appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
(female)

cath s HB User
Re: tensor veli palatini muscle

bumping.....
I have found out a little more and it appers that working on the lateral pterygoid will help - and that it is almost inaccessible to reach... If you stroke the wall right at the back of the mouth, on the side, but at the throat end, you may be close to it.

There was a HUGE amount of discussion about this muscle on this very board Cymy Sue and others... in about 2004-2005.....

""The Tensor veli palatini is a small muscle behind your palate (also impossible to manipulate).
"The Tensor veli palatini has a number of functions, including involvement in the closing of the eustachian tubes. This tube connects the throat to the middle ear and keeps the air pressure in the middle ear the same as that of the outside atmosphere.
The Tensor veli palatini is supplied with nerve signals from a branch of the same nerve that supplies the external pterygoid muscle. When the lateral pterygoids are in spasm, the Tensor veli palatini also can go into spasm because the nerve stimuli go to both muscles.
When this tiny muscle goes into spasm, it closes off the eustachian tube and produces symptoms that mimic middle-ear problems. These can include changes in hearing, earaches, buzzing, ringing or dizziness.""

Old 12-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

It was actually severe ear pain and stuffiness that led me to my TMJ diagnosis. I was so used to the muscle spasms in my face that I wasn't even aware of them until the pain got intense.

I've found that orofacial triggerpoint releases really help. I do them on myself, but it does really hurt. My PT has does releases of my masseter and pterygoid (she likens this to popping a pea) for me. It hurts so much at times that it makes me cry, but after the release I'm feeling much better. After a series of releases, my muscles really started loosening up. You can't be shy about having someone have their hand in your mouth though.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
(female)

cath s HB User

I do this too MountainReader - TrP work really does help soooo much.
Hence why I am asking regarding this muscle....
I am wondering if you can do myofascial realease on it... It appears you cant - but releasing the lateral pterygoid will help. ???
Thats my question....

Closed Thread