It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

hypochondriac01 HB User
Question Hand Tremor / Symptoms of TMJ Disorder Help!

I am 20 years old and should not be so worried about my health, but a few months ago some very strange symptoms started, all classic of TMJ disorder:

Eye "floaters" or sensitivity to light
A strange feeling of dizziness
Constant fatigue or feeling lethargic
Ear pain and tinnitus
Mild head "aches" (not that bad)
Pain near jaw
Clicking and popping on my right side when I chew
Weird sinus pressure or pressure in face and head
Really bad shoulder and neck tension (lots of really bad knots)

By the time I figured out it was my tmj disorder it all made sense. I went to the dentist and he made me a splint that I wear at night, since I am pretty sure I grind my teeth.

My question is about one symptom I am stumped on and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem - it started with my teeth slightly trembling together, almost like they are chattering from cold but only when I hold my two front teeth together. You couldn't even tell if you looked at them but I could feel it. Then, most recently I've had this sensation where I feel like my nerves are out of whack and are shaking from the inside of my body from my neck down to my hands and fingers and it is also affecting my legs. When I hold them still my hands shake/tremble and when I sit down my legs do the same, noticeably on my thighs. I am terrified it is MS or parkinson's but logic tells me that it is probably from my jaw being out of alignment affecting the nerves and muscles in the rest of my body.

I've tried looking online for any hand "tremor" symptoms related to TMJ disorder but can't find anything. PLEASE HELP! I really need some peace of mind. My dentist didn't seem to think it was related.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by hypochondriac01; 01-08-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
(female)

Me Last HB User
Re: Hand Tremor / Symptoms of TMJ Disorder Help!

I just wanted to say - this happened to me. the TMJ - and the tremors.
It turned out for me that my husband (now ex) was dosing me with XTC - and I was unaware.
The clenching that happened when he gave me the drug led to terrible TMJ pain and clenching that was only bad (at night) when I was drugged. I hurt during the day - but not the same at all.
anyway - I didn't figure it out for a very long time - and I know that your issues could stem from a very differnent reason - but it may be worth reading up on the other effects of date rape drugs just to make sure none of them look familiiar.

I would never have guessed that he would do such a thing to me. He seemed so very mild in other parts of our lives.

So please read up on MDMA (XTC) and rohypnol and GHB. Many people think the only way you can get drugged is in a night club. This is far from true.

By the time I figured it out and left - I am having many neurological issues - and my health has declined in horrid ways.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
(female)

kporter59 HB User

hypochondriac01,

I have experience teeth tremors, like Morse Code. After I had an adjustment on my split, it was really made. My muscle must have been fighting the new position of my jaw. I still have the tremors, someone told me if the jaw is in the wrong position the muscle will cause tremors. My Dr. said, tremors will go away after the jaw relaxes in the new jaw position...just have to wait and see. I know how you feel, it makes you feel strange, because you have not control the tremors. Sometimes my whole body feels like my muscle are jumping and jittery. I also have been tested for MS, MRI only, I didn't have the spinal tab..TMJ efforts the entire body, but always good to rule out other causes. There are several people on the board that can give you some very good advice. And everyone is different, not one size fits all....I am new at this, this is only my side.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
(female)

hypochondriac01 HB User

Well, I went to the dentist again today and it seemed the dentist still didn't seem to think they were related, but I did find out that the bite on my splint wasn't set right, and now I can't even use my splint because they have to readjust it next week. The tooth tremors happened before I got my splint or valium, then after I started taking valium the hand tremors started but didn't stop after I got my splint and stopped taking valium. The valium seemed to help calm the tremors, though...not really sure if any of that is related. It could just be my jaw in general trying to find my bite and my nerves tweaking out. I get that same weird feeling where my whole body feels jittery.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
(female)

kporter59 HB User
Smile Re: Hand Tremor / Symptoms of TMJ Disorder Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypochondriac01 View Post
Well, I went to the dentist again today and it seemed the dentist still didn't seem to think they were related, but I did find out that the bite on my splint wasn't set right, and now I can't even use my splint because they have to readjust it next week. The tooth tremors happened before I got my splint or valium, then after I started taking valium the hand tremors started but didn't stop after I got my splint and stopped taking valium. The valium seemed to help calm the tremors, though...not really sure if any of that is related. It could just be my jaw in general trying to find my bite and my nerves tweaking out. I get that same weird feeling where my whole body feels jittery.
I also had tremors before I got my split, just got worse after each split adjustments, then it calms down. Hope it goes away forever someday.
I have talked to other people with TMJ, they have also experience the same. Some have tremors so bad it slams the teeth together, like a trap...I also take a muscle relaxer and valium, it does help...but come on some people have to work...

Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
(female)

hypochondriac01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kporter59 View Post
I also had tremors before I got my split, just got worse after each split adjustments, then it calms down. Hope it goes away forever someday.
I have talked to other people with TMJ, they have also experience the same. Some have tremors so bad it slams the teeth together, like a trap...I also take a muscle relaxer and valium, it does help...but come on some people have to work...
Did you have tremors in your hands/body as well?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
(female)

kporter59 HB User

Quote:
It is more like the tingling and numbness in the hands and body, and jumping muscles. Can't really say it is tremors, like the teeth and muscles in the face and jaw. But I have spasm in the sides and top of my head, and my hair is sore sometimes...but the tremors in the hands, not sure about TMJ...maybe someone else will help answer that on this board. Get it checked out

Old 02-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
(female)

painwithtmj HB User

yes tremor could be related to tmj. Hve yourelf checked for pinched nerve in neck

Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
(male)

irogue HB User

Reading your symptoms felt like I was writing the message, except for the age. I'm 45.

Everything that has been described has been me for the last 6 months.

It all started with a sharp pain in my left jaw once in awhile. In a few weeks it was:

Misaligned teeth.
Chattering front teeth.
Sensitivity to cool temperatures where my jaw spasms all over the place
Tremors / trembling through my body.
Bad Tinnitus
Occasional Vertigo
Numbness in face and tension headache.
Knotted muscles in back and neck; a lot of trigger points
Sore jaws

I've done the bite splint therapy and the only thing that seems solved is the tinnitus (thank the maker). My TMJ joints are OK. This is muscular. There are many times I think the TMJD is a symptom of something else and not the cause. Neurologist says essential tremor or myopathy possibly viral. I do have elevated Adolase levels and a year earlier had liver issues and had a slight positive test result on an auto-immune hep test.

I wish and pray that this all would go away as its made life miserable and at times unbearable.

If you are still out there, please keep in touch to let us know how things go. If I learn anything about myself, I will post also.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
(female)

hypochondriac01 HB User

Yeah, the hand tremors haven't gotten much better, I've been going to see a chiropractor which helps my overall TMJD somewhat. I have a feeling the shakiness and tremors are just from the constant muscle fatigue my muscles have been going through. My jaw is so strained all the time with what feels like knots in my facial muscles from clenching down into my neck into my shoulders into my hands and sometimes down my spine into my hips and legs. The feeling is similar to doing reps with weights until your muscles fatigue and feel shaky only mine start "shaking" right away with any tension.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
(female)

hypochondriac01 HB User

P.S. I know that I have anxiety and the progression with which this all started so I have a feeling anxiety caused the intense clenching which exacerbated the hypochondria and obsession with symptoms which made the clenching worse and thus began the TMJD. Somehow I have to break the cycle of the anxiety and TMJD feeding into each other so that I can give my jaw a chance to recover.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
(female)

hypochondriac01 HB User

The only symptoms I have outside the TMJD are the tremors and my blood platelets have a slightly below normal count of 124 or so. My doc says it's Low/Normal but it's been that way for more than 6 months now. My normal temperature is strangely 97.6 when it used to be 98.6. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything. I think too much maybe and the stress of worrying is causing my body to react??
Quote:
Originally Posted by irogue View Post
Reading your symptoms felt like I was writing the message, except for the age. I'm 45.

Everything that has been described has been me for the last 6 months.

It all started with a sharp pain in my left jaw once in awhile. In a few weeks it was:

Misaligned teeth.
Chattering front teeth.
Sensitivity to cool temperatures where my jaw spasms all over the place
Tremors / trembling through my body.
Bad Tinnitus
Occasional Vertigo
Numbness in face and tension headache.
Knotted muscles in back and neck; a lot of trigger points
Sore jaws

I've done the bite splint therapy and the only thing that seems solved is the tinnitus (thank the maker). My TMJ joints are OK. This is muscular. There are many times I think the TMJD is a symptom of something else and not the cause. Neurologist says essential tremor or myopathy possibly viral. I do have elevated Adolase levels and a year earlier had liver issues and had a slight positive test result on an auto-immune hep test.

I wish and pray that this all would go away as its made life miserable and at times unbearable.

If you are still out there, please keep in touch to let us know how things go. If I learn anything about myself, I will post also.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
(female)

kporter59 HB User

Quote:
How have you been doing? Hope the hand temors have calm down. Have you found out anything, I have heard from several TMJ peeps they also experience hand temors. I think you are right about all the stress on your jaw, shoulders, and it runs down your arms and legs. May need some supplements, have your bloodwork done, that comes from advice of a friend with TMJ,,it has helped me, so it does not help. Feel better

Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
(male)

TMJ89 HB User

Quote:
I am 20 years old and should not be so worried about my health, but a few months ago some very strange symptoms started, all classic of TMJ disorder:
I'm just about to be 23 and have been experiencing most of my symptoms at least for the past four years. It sucks, but for whatever reason...

Quote:
Eye "floaters" or sensitivity to light
Usually black or "transparent" for me...these suckers can make driving during the day time somewhat of an obstacle course.

Quote:
A strange feeling of dizziness
This, for me, usually doesn't manifest until I'm just entirely disoriented from the pain. The headaches caused by the neuropathic pain make it impossible to think about direction or spatial orientation.

Quote:
Constant fatigue or feeling lethargic
This is one of the most damaging effects of TMJD that often goes unnoticed. When you grind at night, you are not only more likely to wake up, but you're decreasing the quality of the sleep you are getting that will be followed by the pain upon waking.

Quote:
Ear pain and tinnitus
I have a very characteristic "itch" deep in my right ear that I cannot seem to itch that I believe to be related to the TMJD because I can sometime get it to stop after moving my jaw a bit. This is one of the few symptoms of my TMJD that is not bilateral. The tinnitus is, at times, quite amazing to me - even ringing louder than our marching band rehearsing.

Quote:
Mild head "aches" (not that bad)
Pain near jaw
Clicking and popping on my right side when I chew
Weird sinus pressure or pressure in face and head
Headaches usually only develop as a side-effect of the inability to cope with functioning under the painful and stressful conditions of the TMJD. The pain itself is very very unique and combined severe muscle fatigue and tenderness of the inflamed tissue along with the pain associated with pressure upon the nerves near the joint. Youch. Clicking and popping (which I tend to try and avoid now!) are bilateral. The sinus pressure issues are certainly another issue I've noticed...having a bad blockage in association with inflammation around the TMJ is a nightmare.

Quote:
Really bad shoulder and neck tension (lots of really bad knots)
I've always had back/shoulder pain since I was in grade school. Had an MRI on the back in fifth grade...said I had a slight spinal curvature that may be causing the problem while I grew, but that it shouldn't be a problem. Hadn't had too much of a problem until this December when I began rolling my head (similar to Stevie wonder, for a reference of the physical motion) I had previously flicked my head (and my hands at times) but this is a more regular (although non-rhythmic and not entirely constant) motion. Causes a terribly stiff and inflamed neck.

Quote:
By the time I figured out it was my tmj disorder it all made sense. I went to the dentist and he made me a splint that I wear at night, since I am pretty sure I grind my teeth.
I chewed through my first splint in one night and the second took me two. The added space between my teeth may actually have led to more inflammation as it took greater effort to grind on the splint. There is no evidence splint therapy is any better than taking an OTC anti-inflammatory. Might save the cosmetic appearance a bit (I certainly have done quite a number.) But I also believe from my experience that you still grind - just with a greater amount of force required to open your jaw.

Quote:
My question is about one symptom I am stumped on and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem - it started with my teeth slightly trembling together, almost like they are chattering from cold but only when I hold my two front teeth together. You couldn't even tell if you looked at them but I could feel it. Then, most recently I've had this sensation where I feel like my nerves are out of whack and are shaking from the inside of my body from my neck down to my hands and fingers and it is also affecting my legs. When I hold them still my hands shake/tremble and when I sit down my legs do the same, noticeably on my thighs. I am terrified it is MS or parkinson's but logic tells me that it is probably from my jaw being out of alignment affecting the nerves and muscles in the rest of my body.
I noticed my hand tremor about a year after I was diagnosed with TMJ. It has progressed and I do believe it to be related to TMJ (probably as a coexisting symptom of a larger condition.) It also seems to present itself as a sort of muscular confusion or fatigue, as the tremor worsens when I grip something or carry weight. Flexing my arm causes my fingers to tense and begin to tremor ever so slightly. Flexing my ankle will do the same to my toes. I recently saw a neurologist who concentrated on my tics and tremor (which he did not relate) and completely blew off my TMJD.

The thing is, I believe my TMJD to be of the same etiology as my tremor and related, in an underlying fashion, to the odd movements I make (with my head, hands, eyes twitching, etc.) I tried to point out that if you look inside my mouth, my masseter is in fact tremoring. This constant flexing causes the tissues to inflame, hence the pressure placed on the nerve and the pain experienced. Seems simple to me...nobody wants to try and investigate this.

Quote:
I've tried looking online for any hand "tremor" symptoms related to TMJ disorder but can't find anything. PLEASE HELP! I really need some peace of mind. My dentist didn't seem to think it was related.
I've found it very hard to find doctors who are willing to treat ME, the patient. They are trying to treat symptoms, diseases, disorders...but sometimes there are not good boxes to check that will lead to the right answers. I hope you get the answers you're looking for - I know I've been having a hell of a time trying to find mine!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #15
(female)

sarahblue HB User

hi i saw your post , i have exactly the same tremors . my hand cant stop shaking aswell , try not to worry too much , its all connected to tmj , because my neck and shoulders have muscle pain it affects your hands aswell. sorry im a new member on here how do you post a question. i wanted to ask about dr piper in florida

Closed Thread