It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
(male)

EddieR HB User
Doctor Told Me To Sleep With A Mouth Piece For TMJ, But It Makes Me Bleed!

I went to my Doctor late last summer, and I told him about the clicking every time I open my mouth. He knew it was TMJ right away, and he told me that a cheap way of fixing this is to buy a mouth piece like what football players use, and to sleep with that, because that will prevent me from grinding my teeth, which is a big problem of mine. I bought a mouth piece, but every time I use it, I wake up with the taste of blood in my mouth.

Has anyone with TMJ been told to do this? Has it worked?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Doctor Told Me To Sleep With A Mouth Piece For TMJ, But It Makes Me Bleed!

Those mouthpieces you buy over the counter really aren't the best for this. You should have one that is specially made by a TMJ dentist who has training in functional orthodontics and neuromuscular dentistry. The splints they design are custom made for your mouth and help put your jaw into a correct position.

The OTC splints will protect your teeth a bit from the grinding, but won't do anything for your jaw position at all and in fact could make things worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
EddieR (03-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
(male)

EddieR HB User

Thanks. I'll get one of those splints.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
(female)

navymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB User

When I first injured my jaw years ago, I was given a mouthguard like the one you mention, and it made my gums bleed a lot. It also made my TMJ issues worse. Definetly go to a dr who knows TMJ!!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
(female)

Single Cell HB User

I also had problems with bleeding gums when I tried OTC night guards. Also, after using them I felt my bite change for the worse: I couldn't close my mouth all the way for up to 24 hours after wearing them. So I quit altogether, and somehow I managed to mostly quit grinding in my sleep. What I do now is clench.

Closed Thread