It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
(male)

Jasonc126 HB User
TMJ and dizziness?

Can TMJ cause dizziness or an out of balance feeling?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
(male)

PatientZero HB UserPatientZero HB UserPatientZero HB User
Re: TMJ and dizziness?

In my case... Most definitely yes!

TMJ pain tends to disrupt the workings of the inner ear which control balance. If you have bad headaches (behind the eyes) due to TMJ pain this too will cause dizziness and an out of balance feeling.

Your eyes and ears control your balance, by the most part. Your sight keeps you from running into things and your ears are like a gyroscope. They work together.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
(male)

Jasonc126 HB User

Can a splint help with this?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
(male)

Splint therapy is tricky. For some it relieves their symptoms, for others it makes them worse. I would give it a try though.

With TMJ disorder... it is the pain that most people are trying to get rid of.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
(female)

PJLB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonc126 View Post
I truly believe it does. Muscles are inflamed & consequently affect your ears.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
(female)

PJLB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonc126 View Post
Definitely..........I've had TMJ for so long now & I experience many symptoms, dizziness being one of them. It can be very disconcerting.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User

It did in my case, dizziness + vertigo. As far as I understand, it is caused by either the condyle pressing on the middle ear canal (jaw overclosure), or by the inflammation in the joint itself or surrounding tissues.
In my case, the splint seems to have resolved it (so far, I am only wearing it for 6 days). But dizziness + vertigo used to be very bad, and now it is only mild and rare.
Good luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
(female)

PJLB HB User

I tried the splint years ago. The dizziness has become more predominant lately. Anxiety is becoming overwhelming....like I'm having a breakdown. They say when you are in chronic pain, it does affect portions of the brain. I believe, after all these years(30+), that my TMJ is getting the best of me.
Thank you for replying.

The following user gives a hug of support to PJLB:
jeanharlow (06-15-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
(male)

My doctor put me on Xanax for the anxiety I was having. It really helps. For me the anxiety was taking over my life. Now I'm much more relaxed and don't worry about my jaw as much which made a lot of the symptoms go away. Dealing with TMD is bad enough but adding anxiety only makes things 10 times worse.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientZero View Post
My doctor put me on Xanax for the anxiety I was having. It really helps. For me the anxiety was taking over my life. Now I'm much more relaxed and don't worry about my jaw as much which made a lot of the symptoms go away. Dealing with TMD is bad enough but adding anxiety only makes things 10 times worse.
Me too was on Xanax at first because I did not understand what was going on with me and had panick attacks that would not stop. It got to the point when I could not leave home or drive because of that. I also have mild OCD that is usually under control but it flare up as well, so I had Zoloft for that too. But luckily, everything gradually stopped when I understood that I have TMD and not dying or falling apart. So I was able to discontinue both meds after 3 weeks or so.
Be careful with Xanax though, it can be addictive.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
(female)

PJLB HB User

I too am on anxiety medication (Lorazepam). I could not get out of bed in the morning if I wasn't. Unfortunately it is addicting & I wish I'd never had to start it, but that's life with TMJ. Every day PAIN & nobody seems to understand how crazy the symptoms are. I do feel alone, even with my family.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJLB View Post
I too am on anxiety medication (Lorazepam). I could not get out of bed in the morning if I wasn't. Unfortunately it is addicting & I wish I'd never had to start it, but that's life with TMJ. Every day PAIN & nobody seems to understand how crazy the symptoms are. I do feel alone, even with my family.
I certainly understand how you feel. Especially that both my husband and my best friend still think that I am imagining the symptoms to the most part and that I can just stop whining to attract attention. I just wish they can NEVER understand what I am going through, because the only way to fully understand this is to go through it yourself.
But you don't have to be on Lorazepam forever. I don't know what your story is, but are you doing something to control the TMD? Splinting brought me and many other people with muscular TMD significant relief. As soon as you take it a little under control, your anxiety should go down - at least it did in my case...

Old 06-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
(female)

breazie HB User

I woke up one morning in February with vertigo. The feeling of off balance/ unsteadiness has never really left me since. It's going on 4 months!! I'm going insane and don't know what else to do. Some days are better than others but I haven't felt normal in a long time now. I have been to ENTS and neurologist. The diagnosis is leaning toward TMJD. I had a lot of dental work dont about a year ago and was left with alot of sensitivity which forced me to use one side of my jaw only, for a good six months, as the dentis claimed it would get better. So is it possible I over used that side and that is what is causing tht tmjd and all of these problems?? And will it ever get better? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
(female)

Luna94 HB User

I have headaches from TMJ, but they are located on the top of my head and at the base of my skull. I have pain all day long. I just want it to go away.

The following user gives a hug of support to Luna94:
jeanharlow (06-15-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
(female)

Lovebug28 HB User

I highly suggest seeing a chiropractor for this. I was "diagnosed" with Meniere's last year (Jan 2010) by an ENT since I was having sudden vertigo attacks during the day which lasted for a few hours. I honestly don't think I had Meniere's at that time. Looking back at it, it was probably a manifestation of my TMJ issue.

The ENT dr put me on several medications (valium, niacin, benadryl, etc.) which did not help. The valium was just making me more numb from the dizziness. I also followed a low-salt diet based on the dr's advise that the salt increases the fluid pressure in my inner ear, making me dizzy. This did not help either.

I was on FMLA leave during this time, so I did my research through forums like this to find other options. I really didn't want to take all those medications and I wanted to live a normal life. That's when i chanced upon a post that mentioned chiropractory. After 1 treatment, I was already feeling better. After the second treatment, I haven't had the vertigo again (except one episode last Dec 2010, which was not as bad as the previous ones and was treated by the chiro). I went back to work April 2010 and I'm glad to have my life back. :-) I still have other health issues (shoulder pain, dry eyes) but at least I am leading an "almost" normal life now. I still go to my chiro every month for maintenance.

Godbless!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-14-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Reply Reply